PDA

View Full Version : Vms?

Strider
04-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Remember the DEC 3000? Anyone else here still program on VMS or am I just getting old?

David

incognito
04-09-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Strider
Remember the DEC 3000? Anyone else here still program on VMS or am I just getting old?

David

Call me stupid if you'd like but, what is a VMS?

Strider
04-09-2002, 08:53 PM
what is a VMS?
VMS is a product of DEC/Digital/Compaq/soon-to-be HP (maybe better known as DEC/VMS, VAX/VMS, or OpenVMS--Compaq's latest naming convention). It is an interactive virtual memory operating system, similar in many ways to UNIX. The biggest difference is in the command interface. VMS uses what is called DIGITAL Command Language (DCL) which is more verbose and the actual commands used are entirely different from the commands used in UNIX. I could go on, but it would be better just to point you to a good reference:

http://www.openvms.compaq.com/

David

adrianxw
04-10-2002, 01:40 AM
>>> Remember the DEC 3000?

The first VMS systems I used were DEC VAX 11/750's in 1985, (VMS 3.x). Big chunky beige things. Used a lot of electricity and air handling resources. Reasonable reliable though. Swapped those for 3600's, (VMS 4.7A), and then later to 3190's, (VMS 5.2), end of 1995. Loved VMS then, beautifully crafted OS, always seemed to work.

In 1996 I went off into PC land, but earlier this year I started with a new company and am using a superdualled, (i.e. each node has 2 processors), 2 node cluster of Alpha ES45 machines running VMS 7.3.

I voted "like it" because "it sucks" is to strong. I think VMS has not been developed consistently after DEC was bought out by Compaq, and frankly, it is showing it's age.

HP have more or less said they will not continue with VMS if the proposed merger between HP and Compaq goes ahead. I suspect they will sell the OS off to someone else rather than just kill it, there are to many installed systems around.