PDA

View Full Version : K&R for C++ ?

Barjor
04-09-2002, 08:36 AM
As we all know K&R wrote a really good, easy to read book that explained the C languish. What book could be said to do the same thing for C++. I don't really think that Bjarne Stroustrups book qualify to be the C++ bible because it is pretty hard to understand. The K&R you can start to read as a begginer but that is not the case woth Bjarne S book. So what book would you say is the C++ bible.The book that everyone programming C++ from beginer to professional must have.

Fordy
04-09-2002, 08:39 AM
C++ - How to Program - Deitel

That's a pretty good complient book........

Prelude
04-09-2002, 10:33 AM
>I don't really think that Bjarne Stroustrups book qualify to be
>the C++ bible because it is pretty hard to understand.
So one should read it again and again until they understand. Stroustrup's book IS the C++ bible and offers very valuable insights into the usage of the language as well as why it was designed as it was. K&R was short and sweet because it is a presentation of the syntax for C, which is also short and sweet. C++ is considerably more complex and likewise warrants a more complex presentation.

-Prelude

Shiro
04-09-2002, 11:42 AM
>don't really think that Bjarne Stroustrups book qualify to be the
>C++ bible because it is pretty hard to understand

So a book must be easy to understand to be a bible? An easy to understand C++ book is a beginners book, an introduction to C++.

Stroustrups book is a must have for beginners as well proffessionals. It's hard to read for beginners, but when their knowledge and experience with the language increases, they will notice the book is getting an excellent reference more and more.

Knuth's "The art of programming" isn't very easy, though it is the bible on programming.

Barjor
04-09-2002, 11:54 AM
Ok I can see that the argument that it needs to be easy to read doesn't fly. After all C++ contains alot more then C.

Shiro
04-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Yes, C++ is more complex than C and that's why it harder to learn than C. C++ programming also requires a different way of thinking. In my opinion a 'language bible' should cover the whole language, cover important programming techniques and should provide quite in-depth knowledge, which is needed to really understand the language.

But I agree that Stroustrup's book can be quit demotivating for beginning C++ programmers, especially if they are beginning programmers, i.e. don't have any programming experience and knowledge.