PDA

View Full Version : XP or no XP?

Unregistered
04-09-2002, 01:59 AM
I just got Windows XP and I just wanna see what others think about it...

WARNING! THIS MAY CAUSE OVER 100, 000, 000, 000... posts all saying "Why the hell would you would you buy Windows XP?? So to prevent this, I'll confess that I didn't actually pay for it - my friend downloaded it and burned it for me. But! I don't know that this is illegal so if anybody asks about it, "I didn't that it was illegal, all I know how to do is download mp3's..."

face_master
04-09-2002, 02:00 AM
Woops I forgot to sign in before I posted this...i must have forgotten to type in my user/pass after I previewed it.

novacain
04-09-2002, 02:58 AM
Some of my customers at the BIG Australian still use Win95. Had to upgrade them to winsock2 to use my programs.

As they pay the bills I will not be working with XP just yet.

I use Win2000 at home so I will wait for the second edition of XP at least.

shtarker
04-09-2002, 05:19 AM
Xp's nice and pretty, no sharp corners to hurt your self on.
But its a ***** not having any dos support.
And suddenly losing 10% of your hard disk to it.

xds4lx
04-09-2002, 10:42 AM
I have XP pro but everytime I put it on my new computer if I leave it run for more than two days straight it pops up with a blue screen about the registry being corrupted, it asks to repair, i say ok, then it fails and wont let me do anyting without reformating. My other computer works fine with it, I know this isnt a driver problem b/c I always keep my drivers updated. Microsofts response to me when I sent them the error report they told me to wait for the service pack haha! Thats some BS! since i just waisted 100 bucks on it (student price).

Korn1699
04-09-2002, 02:21 PM
blue screen with xp... I've had it since it came out, and I've never had that problem. It freezes up once in a while, and I had to reinstall it once cause GoBack doesn't get alone with Linux... It isn't a bad os though

incognito
04-09-2002, 04:15 PM
This might give you some ideas http://www.cprogramming.com/cboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14246&highlight=Microsoft+Windows+What+do+you+think

incognito
04-09-2002, 04:17 PM
And yeah I like XP BTW Proffesional I don't know about the other one, but I believe XP to be one of the most stable and better looking OSs Microsoft has ever had. I read somewhere someone from Apple say that this was windows most successfull (sp?) of Mac Os......or some version of Mac, not sure, I am not a really a Mac person.

face_master
04-13-2002, 06:01 PM
>>But its a ***** not having any dos support.

Maybe Microsoft is trying to (dare I say it) kill DOS ... not that i'm a DOS person or anything, it just seems that alot of people on this board love it.

Sentaku senshi
04-13-2002, 06:34 PM
Microsoft is not tring to kill dos. Dos support is great in the 9x line because 16 bit program are allowed to run in a 32 OS by converting the 32 bit program to 16 bit ones. This is also why windows is unstable. NT 2000 XP maintan compatiblity with 16 bit by converting it to 32 bit programs. This leads to a stable system but dos support is lost as a result.

Xterria
04-13-2002, 06:43 PM
all we ask for in xp is some sound for dos.
anyway, I think XP is cool. But all of a sudden my games dont work on it...directX(-7) gives out unexpected results, and did i mention my games dont work?
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
but i like it