PDA

View Full Version : why Europe doesn't suck(part 1)

stevey
04-08-2002, 01:34 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tim545666
Nothing good has come out of europe since america. I can't seem to think of any exceptions...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

original european inventions -

radio (german/italian)
gramophone records(german)
television( british,german)
telephone(british)
jet engines (german/british)
harrier jump jet(british)
hovercraft(british)
internal combustion engine (german...debatable)
diesel engine(german)
cd players (dutch-Phillips)
video player(dutch or german? Phillips anyway)
computers (british)
concorde(french/british)
tanks (british)
submarines
radar (british/german)
sonar(british)
rocket engines(german)
knowlege of radiation(french)
nuclear bomb(original ideas)
toilets(british), lightbulb/electricity(british-Swan pipped Eddison!),fridges(french/british),microwave oven(british),vacuum cleaner(british),electric cooker(british),vacuum flask(british),matches(british)
industrialisation(british)......list goes on.........

Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Marconi, Newton, Darwin, Hertz, Da vinci, sigmund fruede, neitzcshe,......................... list goes on...

yup nothing good come out of Europe.....

Clyde
04-08-2002, 01:37 PM
Europe rocks n all but.......

"Nothing GOOD has come out of europe since america"

"nuclear bomb(original ideas) "

Brian
04-08-2002, 01:37 PM
why are people so defensive about their place of birth?
they didnt choose to be born there so there is no need to be proud of where you live because its not as if you did anything to get there or invent any of this **** what matters is what you have done to improve your life and the lives of others whether they are within your community or otherwise.

stevey
04-08-2002, 01:44 PM
i'm not that defensive...... ive even credited a couple of non-British !!!!!:)

jdinger
04-08-2002, 02:40 PM
No offense, but who really cares? America sucks because of this and rules because of that. England sucks because of this and rules because of that. Japan... well you get the idea.

Having spent 8 years in the military I've lived/traveled through over a dozen or so countries and each one had it's good points and it's bad.

I'll admit I'm patriotic but that won't keep me from putting on blinders to the problems in my own country.

Can't we all just get along?

:D Sorry about that last line. I just had to! :D

incognito
04-08-2002, 02:42 PM
I think that the country bashing should be stopped and that the mods should do something about it.

muttski
04-08-2002, 03:07 PM
did I start all this?

shtarker
04-08-2002, 03:09 PM
Yes.
It is entirely your fualt.
You have finally got your revenge.

stevey
04-08-2002, 04:44 PM
country bashing is bull**** (unless its funny).
to have "why america sucks","why europe sucks" is daft.......

i just couldnt resist a go at the original line that i quoted, it amused me anyway.

Xterria
04-08-2002, 05:48 PM
the reason european countries invented all of those things is because you were around alot longer than the U.S, about five times, really. And for all the time that you had you didn't invent very much. Our rate of invention is far superior to yours.

Brian
04-08-2002, 05:49 PM
What have you invented Xterria?

You are not your country. There is no reason to be proud or defend it.

Xterria
04-08-2002, 06:04 PM
sure brian....sure.

stevey
04-08-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Xterria
the reason european countries invented all of those things is because you were around alot longer than the U.S, about five times, really. And for all the time that you had you didn't invent very much. Our rate of invention is far superior to yours.

hehe nice argument.........

i ONLY picked inventions since 1800 onwards (apart from the water closet - 1778) !!!!!!!!! ie same timeframe, genious.

5 times longer ???? europe was "created" in 1000 AD eh ??? mmmm

for the record-
most inventions (patents anyway) occurred after 1750 really, after the industrial revolution, and have been growing exponentially since.

the USA has a great record inventions wise, even accounting for a large population and resources. so does Europe.

i myself have invented bugger all

Brian
04-08-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by stevey

i myself have invented bugger all

I invented the 82 hour day, and promptly collapsed from exhaustion.

stevey
04-09-2002, 07:48 AM
I'd like to invent a cat flap that the bloody cat would use, instead of stood in front of it mowing plaintively until i get up and let the bugger in or out.

why are cats always on the wrong side of a door ???

in, out, in,out..................

ErionD
04-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Isn't the guy that invented C++ from Europe?

Unregistered
04-09-2002, 10:09 AM
Bjarne Stroustrup ??????

wasn't he British !!! :)

muttski
04-09-2002, 10:31 AM
I dont think K&R were british.

Shiro
04-09-2002, 11:05 AM
Bjarne Stroustrup British? Perhaps, though it sounds more Danish to me.

Barjor
04-09-2002, 11:20 AM
Bjarne is borned in Denmark
Anders Hjellsberg is borned in Norway (Creator of C#) Not that C# is something to be proud of but....

Xterria==>> Do you know that most people in america actually moved to US from europe not long ago?

Singing..."Imagine theres no countries. nothing to kill or die for" wouldn't that be great?

Shiro
04-09-2002, 11:36 AM
>the reason european countries invented all of those things is
>because you were around alot longer than the U.S, about five
>times, really.

A very strange reason. So you tell us that invented came when the U.S. got existed, that is, when the European came to that continent. In other words, the native American didn't invented anything and aren't real American?

>And for all the time that you had you didn't invent
>very much.

Well, I suggest you first learn something about Europe's history.

>Our rate of invention is far superior to yours.

So?

Deckard
04-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Another reason Europe doesn't suck: beer.

Shiro
04-09-2002, 11:44 AM
>Another reason Europe doesn't suck: beer.

And I'm quite sure that many Americans know pizza.

Unregistered
04-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Is there really any American tradition that is not copied from Europe? Both Hallowen and the Hamburger existed in Europe way before it existed in US.

Shiro
04-09-2002, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure, but what about:

- hotdog
- fast food
- cola
- blues
- Hollywood

Since it were the European who build the foundations of the American community, many American traditions are based upon European traditions. Except those brought in from people from Africa, Asia, South-America etc. American tradition is a mix of many traditions.

Fred
04-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Shiro
>Our rate of invention is far superior to yours.

So?

Shiro, keep in mind you're arguing with a 12 year old. They might not have gotten very far in their World History class yet.

Shiro
04-09-2002, 12:11 PM
Yes, you're right. I often forget that some people at the boards are quite young. Thanks.

stevey
04-09-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Fred

Shiro, keep in mind you're arguing with a 12 year old. They might not have gotten very far in their World History class yet.

yeah he didn't get very far..................
europe been around 5 times longer than the states.??!!...ignorant even for a 12 y/o.

i didn't realise he was a kiddie at first either, ought to have an age next to the name ie kiddie(12), stevey(21).
mind you, we'd only lie......i myself am actually 33 !!!!:)

a lot of people think fast food is one of the worst exports, but i think its one of the best, don't know where i'd be without.........
mcdonalds
kfc
burgerking
pizzas
etc

and kebabs, chinese takeaway, indian takeaway.......

a man can only eat so many fish and chips !!!!!

Shiro
04-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Isn't fastfood just the same as snacks? In that case, in Europe the fastfood tradition is older than the American. If pizza and kebab are fastfood, that's for sure.

Are there Italian around on this boards? I think they don't like it us speaking about pizza's as fastfood, especially if they're from Naples.

Unregistered
04-09-2002, 12:33 PM
Isn't fish and chips a fast food actually invented in England long before fast food emerged in US?

Deckard
04-09-2002, 12:35 PM
And I'm quite sure that many Americans know pizza. As most people, I consider pizza an Italian dish. However, it seems to have been invented in the Middle East (http://aboutpizza.com/history/).

Brian
04-09-2002, 12:36 PM
- hotdog

Wow, you must be proud.

- fast food

One tradition I wish you Americans had kept to yourselves.

- cola

Bye bye teeth.

- blues

Well we invented greens and yellows :P

- Hollywood

riight

Shiro
04-09-2002, 12:38 PM
Yep, and in the Netherlands and Belgium we have things we call 'patat', 'kroket' and 'frikadel'. Don't know what it's in English.

patat = pommes frites
kroket = croquet (McCroquet)
frikadel = ?

So, then only the WORD fastfood is American?

[/edit]
>One tradition I wish you Americans had kept to yourselves.

:-)

Well, it seems European have invented it themselves, but the American gave it an overall name.
[edit]

stevey
04-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Isn't fastfood just the same as snacks? In that case, in Europe the fastfood tradition is older than the American. If pizza and kebab are fastfood, that's for sure.

Are there Italian around on this boards? I think they don't like it us speaking about pizza's as fastfood, especially if they're from Naples.

food as fast food is an American idea i think,
the drive-in idea, and the big fast food chains like mcdonalds etc

pizzas are obviously Italian in origin, but i don't like the traditional Italian pizza, much prefer the "americanised" version ie pizza king type. and pizza as fast food started in the US i believe.

kebabs that we buy in the UK as fast food are not much like the traditional greek/turkish shish kebab type.

no i think you have to give the US fastfood credit!!!!!!!

Shiro
04-09-2002, 12:47 PM
>food as fast food is an American idea i think,
>the drive-in idea, and the big fast food chains like mcdonalds etc

I agree.

>no i think you have to give the US fastfood credit!!!!!!!

Fastfood is nothing but non-American food being Americanized, except from a few things like cola. In that case, I'll give them some credit. Well, I'll give them all credit. They can have their fastfood.

stevey
04-09-2002, 12:53 PM
:) well ilike fast food anyway !!

shiro - what does that line in Dutch say (your sig) ???

hey,
Brian

how can you slag Hollywood off ???
we'd have bugger all films to watch without them !!!
( you'd have to watch crappy French films about nothing in particular with no particular beginning middle or ending, or discernable plot line at all..........and in subtitles !!!!)

Shiro
04-09-2002, 12:59 PM
>well ilike fast food anyway !!

Well, actually I also like it. Especially pizza.

>what does that line in Dutch say (your sig) ???

Well, it is Frisian. A language spoken in the northern part of the Netherlands. The other Dutch don't understand it, it also has characters that Dutch doesn't have.

Frisian: De tiid hâldt gjin skoft.
Dutch: De tijd neemt geen pauze.
English: Time doesn't take a break.

Betazep
04-09-2002, 01:21 PM
>>>Is there really any American tradition that is not copied from Europe?

Nope. Europe wins. Now shut up.

stevey
04-09-2002, 01:26 PM
>

>what does that line in Dutch say (your sig) ???

Well, it is Frisian. A language spoken in the northern part of the Netherlands. The other Dutch don't understand it, it also has characters that Dutch doesn't have.

Frisian: De tiid hâldt gjin skoft.
Dutch: De tijd neemt geen pauze.
English: Time doesn't take a break.

ah, forgive my ignorance...........
Frisian: De tiid hâldt gjin skoft. -> does that literally translate as,
the time halts for nothing/nobody ???

i'd also be interested if you'd further enlighten me.....
why do we english call The Netherlands, Holland ??
is it true that its a bit offensive to do so ??

do you know where our saying "talking double dutch " comes from ?????

Shiro
04-09-2002, 01:41 PM
>ah, forgive my ignorance...........

Frisian is a small language, just spoken by a few thousand people in Friesland, a province in the Netherlands. It is also spoken, with a few differences, Ost-Friesland, a part of Niedersachsen in northern Germany.

The Frisians have their own culture, language, 'national' song, and capital. Most Frisians don't really feel Dutch, but that counts for more Dutchmen. In the north, east and south there are some anti-West feelings. People from the area Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague are called the 'Westerlingen' and they're not very popular in the other parts.

>why do we english call The Netherlands, Holland ??

Also in the Netherlands there are people saying Holland. Especially in the western part. Two of the western provinces are called Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland. These provinces are most known by tourists since they contain Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague. I don't know why most foreigners call it Holland.

>is it true that its a bit offensive to do so ??

Well, some people not living in the provinces Noord-Holland or Zuid-Holland feel being excluded when foreigners talk about Holland.

>do you know where our saying "talking double dutch " comes
>from ?????

Well, I don't know that saying.

Unregistered
04-09-2002, 01:44 PM
>>Nope. Europe wins. Now shut up.<<

No lets dwell on this. Lets talk about with how much Europe wins

stevey
04-09-2002, 01:51 PM
thanks Shiro, i am a little wiser today than yesterday, which is always good.........

yes we say, "its double dutch to me", if you are reading something you can't understand etc.......

its not offensive, but indicates its a foreign language to you i guess. its an odd saying though (double ??) so i just wondered..........

Scourfish
04-09-2002, 10:25 PM
I would say something along the lines of the right to bear arms, but it seems that much of europe doesn't have that anymore; what's the rationale behind that about anyway?

Yay for Charlton Heston!

novacain
04-10-2002, 12:30 AM
>the drive-in idea,

I think they got the drive-THRU bit from Aust. As opposed to the stop and eat in the car style of the '50s.
We have a saying in the outback "A man is not a camel." Which translates to "Get me a beer quickly."

Hence the need for the drive thru liquor store. So you can get drunk and drive all without getting out of the car (if your realy drunk standing can be difficult, hence stay seated). Been around here for over 40 years.

We are now starting to see the drive thru bottle shop / petrol station emerge. And the police response is of course the 'booze bus'.

(had a lot of fun with a cop in Nevada doing drunk driving tests about 10 years ago. All 6 of us were out of the car having a go (drunk Aussies on holiday). Passed even though they knew we were drunk so they emptied all the beer out and let us go)

stevey
04-10-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Scourfish
I would say something along the lines of the right to bear arms, but it seems that much of europe doesn't have that anymore; what's the rationale behind that about anyway?

Yay for Charlton Heston!

i thought that was a plus for europe, not having armed criminals !!!
in the UK we don't even have an armed police force !! i bet its just about the only country in the world.
probably a good job, cos they tend to shoot the wrong guys anyway !!:)

re DUI tests, why don't US cops use Breathaliser machines like sensible people do, not all this touch your nose whilsty standing on one leg, with your arms out, and your eyes closed.....
i can't even do it when i'm sober !!!

Xterria
04-10-2002, 04:08 PM
only if we had a sack of patatos

stevey
04-10-2002, 05:39 PM
:confused:

novacain
04-10-2002, 10:49 PM
>>re DUI tests, why don't US cops use Breathaliser machines like sensible people do, not all this touch your nose whilsty standing on one leg, with your arms out, and your eyes closed.....
i can't even do it when i'm sober !!!

We were playing a drinking game with the tests. If you failed the sobriety test you drank more and tried again....

Like 'mop spins' (take a broom or mop, hold it vertical, by the end of the handle, looking up at the 'head' (so you are staring up into the air). Spin round and round, counting (ten is hard, though I have seen someone do 100) and always looking up. Throw the mop down and try to jump over it.) Hours of fun and minor injuries.

Deckard
04-11-2002, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by stevey
re DUI tests, why don't US cops use Breathaliser machines like sensible people do, not all this touch your nose whilsty standing on one leg, with your arms out, and your eyes closed.US cops do use breathalizers. The 'standing on one leg' is part of the second of three tests given to drivers believed to be under the influence of alcohol.

When a driver is stopped for a traffic violation and the officer makes initial contact with the driver, the first test occurs. Are the eyes glassy or red? Is there an odor of alcoholic beverage? Does the driver slur his/her speech or fumble when gathering license or registration? Are there open alcoholic beverage containers in the vehicle? No single indicator means the driver is drunk or has been drinking, but two or three means it is possible and perhaps further investigation is needed.

The second test is the field sobriety test. This test varies a bit in each jurisdiction across the country, but usually includes basic motor skills tests such as walking in a straight line or balancing on one leg.

If the driver fails most/all of the field sobriety tests, it is time for a breathalizer or blood test.

novacain
04-11-2002, 11:30 PM
Over here they just get you to 'blow in the bag' as soon as you are stopped, before you can get out of the car.