PDA

View Full Version : Why would anybody use ICQ again?

incognito
04-02-2002, 01:20 PM
From ICQ

Also please note that the ICQ service and software, as with most Internet applications, is vulnerable to various security issues and hence should be considered unsecured. By using the ICQ service and software and the Internet in general, you may be subject to various risks, including among others:

* Exposure to objectionable material and/or parties, including without limitation, contaminated files.

* Unauthorized invasion of your privacy during, or as a result of, your use or another's use of the system.

* Spoofing, eavesdropping, sniffing, spamming, breaking passwords, harassment, fraud, forgery, "imposturing", electronic trespassing, tampering, hacking, nuking, system contamination including without limitation use of viruses, worms and Trojan horses causing unauthorized, damaging or harmful access and/or retrieval of information and data on your computer and other forms of activity that may even be considered unlawful.

lol, I just thougt it was funny that they would come out and say it like that.

Pendragon
04-02-2002, 01:41 PM
Yeah, there are numerous pages all over the internet that are entitled 'How to hack/spam/sniff etc ICQ' (delete as appropriate).

It's very vulnerable to attack. I only used it for a week or so until I happened across some of these pages whilst looking for some details of a virus.

Korn1699
04-02-2002, 01:58 PM
yeah, there is a program out there called subseven that if you enter their number and they are on, you will get access to almost anything on their computer. wouldn't be bad if programs like that couldn't work...

Pendragon
04-02-2002, 02:09 PM
However on the whole, I still prefer MSN and Windows Messenger. I find them far more stable and consistant than ICQ.

I've heard about subseven. You have to admit, it's clever.

incognito
04-02-2002, 02:19 PM
AOL Instant messenger is also pretty good.......even though it's aol that's about the only good thing aol has........:D Sorry no offense to the aol users outthere, but that's just what I like about aol.......not saying that it is crap.

-KEN-
04-02-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Korn1699
yeah, there is a program out there called subseven that if you enter their number and they are on, you will get access to almost anything on their computer. wouldn't be bad if programs like that couldn't work...

Actually it works nothing like that, you have to put a server on their computer first, then you have the optional ability to be NOTIFIED by ICQ. Nothing more.

>>You have to admit, it's clever.

Quite the contrary. I'm willing to bet I could hack out the same thing in C, and I believe s7 was made in VB. It's just simply the client connects to the server and sends commands (SCREENCAPTURE, BROWSE_DRIVE, etc) which the server executes, and sends info back to the client. And they're all really simple windows commands, too.

Pendragon
04-02-2002, 02:56 PM
Not the design of it. It was written in VB I believe... just the idea.

-KEN-
04-02-2002, 02:58 PM
Well another thing is that it was in no way the first of its kind. It just caught on because its ease-of-use and various utilities.

golfinguy4
04-02-2002, 05:01 PM
The funny part though is that you can open the person's cd drive, or so i've heard. Now wouldn't that be funny. All of a sudden you are typing and WHAM, your drive opens. It would be a good prank to play on your comp illiterate friends.

compjinx
04-02-2002, 05:17 PM
>Sorry no offense to the aol users outthere, but that's just what I like about aol.......not saying that it is crap.

He may not be saying it, but I am.

compjinx
04-02-2002, 05:18 PM
do you still have those problems if you use trillion?

Aran
04-02-2002, 05:49 PM
it's trillian.. and probably yes.

you are still running on ICQ servers.

novacain
04-02-2002, 10:02 PM
>>Actually it works nothing like that, you have to put a server on their computer first, then you have the optional ability to be NOTIFIED by ICQ. Nothing more.

First you put your 'evil bot' on to the system thru a video, mp3 or other inocent looking app. (a variant of the UNIX timato bot and ultimately a variant of ICQ chat bots)

When the PC connects to the internet, the bot logs on to a private ICQ chat room and you send the trojan (like s7) to the PC. You can then take control of the PC and use it as extra bandwidth in DDoS or DRDoS attacks.

These are called 'zombie bots' by the media.

XP being the OS of choice as it provides raw socket level functions (IP debugging functions) with no security (no NT priveleges so all apps have root level access). This allows IP spoofing ect without third party software that usually stuffs up you DNS under Win9x.

At least one new program appears on cracking / secutity sites each day.

cozman
04-02-2002, 10:15 PM
Some of the insecure features of ICQ are disabled so trillian really is the best choice if you MUST use ICQ. Trillian is still cool anyway:
ad-free, multi-server, multi-name(on the same server), skinnable, transparent mode(nice but sorta slow), and you can use it for basic IRC connections.

Commander
04-02-2002, 10:33 PM
I still use icq.....i'v been using it for a long time now....I think

Is it loosing it's popularity? Not many people r using it these days.....b4, there used 2 b 1000s of people online that u could find in a few searches......but now....there r hardly 100s

Korn1699
04-03-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by -KEN-

Actually it works nothing like that, you have to put a server on their computer first, then you have the optional ability to be NOTIFIED by ICQ. Nothing more.

Ken you are stupid... All you need is the ICQ number. If you want, get ICQ, give me your number, and I'll prove it.

nvoigt
04-03-2002, 04:30 AM
With ICQ, you can get the persons IP, as with any other program if you know the person is running it. With his IP you can try to break down his barriers. ICQ is as insecure as any other program on the net. Not more, not less.

Nutshell
04-03-2002, 06:20 AM
MSN just lookz neater and better. It's faster and doens't have as many 'advanced' features that u never use. Only good about ICQ is their 'random chat' feature.

Brian
04-03-2002, 09:15 AM
You can get people's IP addresses easily.

MSN: Send them a file and get their IP with a "netstat -a"
ICQ: Send them a message and get their IP with a "netstat-a" or use one of the many tools floating around the web.
AOL: See MSN
Yahoo: Nobody uses yahoo
IRC: /whois <nickname>

oh no, we're all gonna die!

Korn1699
04-03-2002, 09:22 AM
Another feature of ICQ that make it ever more easy to use to gain access to a computer is that it allow users to make webpages and allow other users to download files, directly from your computer using that page. This is how people only need the ICQ number, and no cliet files or anything like with ALL IP programs like that.

$null
04-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Korn1699

Ken you are stupid... All you need is the ICQ number. If you want, get ICQ, give me your number, and I'll prove it.

1). LMFAO hehe your dreaming in color =], there is no way to sudenly control a computer just because it has icq installled and your being a scriptkiddie and using sub7... do you realise that if this was possible little lamers like you would have "hacked" every single box on icq... this is quite funny hehe not that i have ever used sub7 but dont you think mr 1337 that bugtraq and packetstrom would have something about that on their website? oh wait your a script kiddie you dont even know what up and whats down :P

2). Sub7 was written in delphi

Aran
04-03-2002, 09:59 AM
you need to calm down.

There's a difference between being SPF and being misinformed.

-KEN-
04-03-2002, 03:36 PM
>>Ken you are stupid... All you need is the ICQ number. If you want, get ICQ, give me your number, and I'll prove it.<<

109061471 - have a blast, I sure know I will. Sure you can get my IP by initiating a file transfer, but you really can't do much more than that.

Of course if you can, please elaborate. I'd LOVE to hear your ingenious thoughts on the matter.

novacain
04-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Anyone know what Steganography is?

$null
04-03-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by novacain
Anyone know what Steganography is?

encrypting data into pictures/movies/mp3's

usually works best on black and white pictures, new algoritms are improving the quality of color pictures...

f0ul
04-04-2002, 11:47 AM
ICQ is quite cool as a package - its how I met my current girlfriend, but as for security - well, most of the hacks and bugs mentioned on this site can be done with email, nevermind icq.
Its all down to user stupidity - e.g. "download this cool prog that shows how to get free money / free sex / free something else etc"

The only really bad "feature" I ever found on icq is the way you can hide a file's real extention by using spaces
e.g. badfile.txt .exe
but again you would only download it and run it without checking if u were really dumb!

AOL own ICQ so my original reason for using it ( indi company taking on the corps) is no longer relevant.

I stopped using it when I found that the illiterate were now using it and getting a good conversation became too difficult!