PDA

View Full Version : Happiest moment during development process....

Nutshell
04-01-2002, 01:28 AM
Halo,

What is your happiest ( or most triumpant ) moment during the software development process...?

ihsir
04-01-2002, 01:45 AM
I think it'll be the time people buy your software.

though i haven't sold anything or rather made anything that could be sold :D

so right now it'll be the time it executes without any problem.

shtarker
04-01-2002, 04:37 AM
Just seeing that little "----jGRASP: operation complete" at the bottom of my screen makes me happier than anything else.

xlnk
04-01-2002, 02:50 PM
Executing it with no problems

jdinger
04-01-2002, 02:50 PM
Getting the pseudo-code done. That's the hardest part. After that the coding is pretty simple. The design document is the real challenge.

Aran
04-01-2002, 04:25 PM
its hard to deside when you've designed enough and can start coding without some type of doubt looming over you...

doubleanti
04-01-2002, 04:47 PM
the 'oooohs and ahhhs' would have to be it for me... with finally conquering indecisiveness in a close second...

golfinguy4
04-01-2002, 07:01 PM
I view coding as a challenge. The problem is whatever your trying to code. Logically then, the solution would be your code. When you have a fully functional solution, the program, I feel success is achieved, and I have solved the problem.

tim545666
04-01-2002, 11:28 PM
I can find a way to make 15 stupid errors on a hello world program. When I write code I don't stop after every 50 lines and try to complie it, I just slam out hundreds of lines of code in one sitting and end up with a buttload of errors and wonder why it doesn't work. I end up spending half of my time debugging it, and sometimes I decide to start over. When I finally get it to run without bugs, it's a huge releif and I stop beating the .......... out of my computer.

lightatdawn
04-02-2002, 12:16 AM
>>When I finally get it to run without bugs, it's a huge releif and I stop beating the .......... out of my computer.

I usually give it a few quick cuffs even then just for good measure. It pays to be sure.

Happiest moment: It runs for more than 3 1/2 microseconds without trying to overwrite some vital part of my hardrive or develop 16,000 memory leaks each the size of a small dog and able to (i swear) physically eat holes in my disk.

Okay so i'm a little annoyed at my current app... Looks like another sleepless night. :rolleyes:

tim545666
04-02-2002, 12:19 AM
Actually one time I kicked my friends comp and it restarted. I guess it was the perfect kick :D .

doubleanti
04-02-2002, 12:20 AM
speaking of which... another of the happiest moments is when i can get a partcular function [*cough* fuzzing *cough*] to do a 0.1 Mpixel array in half the time. :)

lightatdawn
04-02-2002, 12:20 AM
>>Actually one time I kicked my friends comp and it restarted. I guess it was the perfect kick

*In Extreme Awe*

If only...

doubleanti
04-02-2002, 12:22 AM
that's probably because you kicked the restart button.. :)

tim545666
04-02-2002, 12:23 AM
Nope. I was really weird. I kicked it on the side.

adrianxw
04-02-2002, 03:15 AM
>>>
Happiest moment: It runs for more than 3 1/2 microseconds without trying to overwrite some vital part of my hardrive or develop 16,000 memory leaks each the size of a small dog and able to (i swear) physically eat holes in my disk.
<<<

Nah! It's finding/fixing those bugs that makes it interesting for me! And isn't it always something stupid, in a routine that could not possibly be the cause, that you've looked at 50 times but decided that one is fine, that doesn't interface with the bit that seems to be the cause...

lightatdawn
04-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Thank you adrian! You've made my day a little better. :) I was begining to worry that this happened only to me. You summed it up exactly.

I spent a good portion of yesterday beating my brains out trying to figure out why something was behaving incorrectly. From the looks of things it seemed the only possible problem was that that x must != y even though when i output x to file and check it, x does = y... After hours of debugging this i accidentally scrolled too far down the page and the code jumped out and struck me... It appears that i had a clause that skipped the function i was working on and used an alternate function if x was a certain number... I'd written the code so long ago i had forgotten about it. Thats about when your draw drops to your knees and you cant believe you've wasted all this time hunting ghosts.

After fixing that little sucker i of course felt better but there was still that little part in the back of my mind still kicking myself for missing the obvious for sooo long. The complex stuff never eludes me... Go figure. :)