PDA

View Full Version : penny.tossing_routine (HEAD_TAIL_STRUCTURE *coin);



doubleanti
09-15-2001, 11:54 PM
>If you toss a penny 10,000 times it will not be heads 5000 times but more like 4950. The head picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.

i would like to hear an explaination and discussion! a penny could be balanced on either face... and a slight offset would fail it, but is a head-down offset less stable than a tail-down one then?

iain
09-16-2001, 08:00 AM
out of 5000 tosses, it could land heads every time, or it could land tails every time.

doubleanti
09-16-2001, 10:22 AM
i believe that was assumed in hypotheticals. rather, i think that he meant his data was to address the practically realized ratio as the number of flips reached infinity...

Zach L.
09-16-2001, 12:59 PM
Yes, basically it means that the chance of landing on heads is 49.5% and the chance of landing on tails is 50.5%. Its just a random fact, which of course changes from penny to penny due to manufacturing defects, but in general, the heads weighs more. :D

Pendragon
09-16-2001, 01:06 PM
The difference is negligible though otherwise people wouldn't toss coins to make decisions as it would obviously be unfair.

Zach L.
09-16-2001, 01:10 PM
Yeah, it is negligible, and other outside factors tend to mess up the results more than this minor weight difference.

Pendragon
09-16-2001, 01:20 PM
The surfing monitor agrees... :P

It's an interesting theory but not of any real use in society. ;)

Zach L.
09-16-2001, 01:25 PM
Of course its of no use, I got it from UselessFacts.net (http://www.uselessfacts.net/). :p

Pendragon
09-16-2001, 01:28 PM
I might have guessed!! :D :p

LOL!

Zach L.
09-16-2001, 07:22 PM
Now that this has been solved, I must find another useless and odd fact. :D

novacain
09-16-2001, 10:07 PM
In Australia we have a game called Two Up. It was played by the ANZAC's on the way to WW1. It is a tradition to gamble on ANZAC day at what is known as a Two Up School.
Two pennies are tossed, 2 heads wins, 2 tails looses and one of each is an odd, spin again. Simple stuff.

While working in a casino I delt Two Up. One old digger (war vet) would come and watch for a few hours and see if the coins were not 'even' (spinning more pairs of heads than pairs of tails).
If he found a signifigant difference he would bet with a 'catch up' system.

When he had made his $200 (or lost $50) for the day he would leave. Most days he won.

adrianxw
09-17-2001, 01:55 AM
>>> In Australia we have a game called Two Up.

Is it true that it is illegal to play Two Up on days other than Anzacs day? I was in Aus for a while and was told this at a Two Up match, (on Anzacs day 1995). Mind you, the guy that told me this had been on the beer for a while, as had everyone else.

novacain
09-17-2001, 03:47 AM
Yes. Unless you are in a casino.
It is legal on ANZAC day if you are too far from a casino.

In the casino we got turn of the century (1900) pennies from the gov inspector each day. Each set has 5 pennies. If they threw too many tails, the punters would toss one onto a nearby light fitting so we would have to get another set.

doubleanti
09-17-2001, 11:26 PM
regardless of the practicality of it. what i'm asking is that, given that the flips the coin endures is arbitrary [between odd/even starts/finishes], how can it be slightly more heads? given or without physics... thanks!

novacain
09-18-2001, 03:04 AM
Maybe that is why the tail of the penny is painted with a cross (to even up with the heavier head). I thought it was to help show the diff when they landed.

In my experience it is the penny bending and/or denting that cause more heads or tails.

doubleanti
09-18-2001, 10:35 PM
i might be able to understand it if the coin was bent in some way... but assuming it's a standard coin. that, and a cross? where are you from novacain?

novacain
09-19-2001, 02:11 AM
In Two Up in Austrailia we paint a cross on the tail of the coin.

Hitting things, roof, floor, lights, will cause very slight bends or dents. These could affect the 'evenness' of the coin. These coins get tossed 100's of times a day.

>>where are you from novacain? Au=Austrailia

(Even if I can't type it correctly)

doubleanti
09-19-2001, 04:30 PM
hmmm... wait a minute...

supposing a coin regardless of bendage has two most likely states of physical equlibrium... [both sides]... what alterations to the coin would favor certain states?