PDA

View Full Version : How many users use Linux & why??

GSLR
03-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Hi all, thread says it all.

Dont know if the ? been asked before but ....

Thanx

And to all those opposed .... MMmm Well .

$null
03-19-2002, 09:56 PM
i do... it gives me greater flexibility, more power and the abiltity to basically change anything you want about your os... on a side note i run freebsd which as im sure you know is unix the grandaddy of linux...

Nutshell
03-20-2002, 07:40 AM
This question comes up every week in the forum at linuxquestions.org

Do a search for it and you'll find many many reasons tell u to try out linux, windows is bad.....etc

BUt there really is NO NEED to switch, it's just for when you wanna learn to use a new os and learn more about you computer thats all.

ober
03-20-2002, 07:46 AM
I use it for work to test scripts that I write for another higher maintenance server running HP-UX... I could be in mondo trouble for bringing down the main computer...

I also use it as a webserver... Apache is just sweet.. I'm working on some future internal services being run off of that server eventually..

There's just somethings you need it for and some you don't... I don't think I'll switch to it for home use anytime soon tho...

Govtcheez
03-20-2002, 07:51 AM
Linux isn't used by anyone. It is so unstable compared to a superior operating system like Win ME. The only reason Unix was created was to provide Bill Gates a place where he could design Windows. Linux is just one of those Internet jokes like "All Your Base", hackers, and eBay. None of those exist either.

Deckard
03-20-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Linux is just one of those Internet jokes like "All Your Base", hackers, and eBay. None of those exist either. I will perpetuate this myth by saying I also use Linux ;)

CompiledMonkey
03-20-2002, 08:23 AM
I do as well. I just like learning something new. I'll probably always have a MS OS around. Hopefully I can move more towards UNIX after my VB class is over in college.

Govtcheez
03-20-2002, 08:24 AM
C'mon people - it's not fair to mislead him with lies and claims "I use Linux"... Let's be honest, guys.

muttski
03-20-2002, 08:48 AM
ya, no need to lie about it. :)

ober
03-20-2002, 08:51 AM
alright alright... my bad... [trix jingle]silly newbie... linux is for kids..[/trix jingle]

Betazep
03-20-2002, 12:01 PM
What is linux? ;) Is that some sort of computer thingy?

Govtcheez
03-20-2002, 12:03 PM
> What is linux? Is that some sort of computer thingy?

It's this thing that some guy from Norway or somewhere (he's not from the US, so it doesn't matter anyways) made up and posted to usenet so he could pass his C class. It's just as real as Santa Claus and Oprah Winfrey.

Betazep
03-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Oh come on... we all know Oprah Winfrey isn't real... get a clue dude!

Govtcheez
03-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Exactly my point!

If Oprah Winfrey's not real, Linux doesnt' exist!

Makes perfect sense!

Betazep
03-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Yeah... but Santa Clause is real. So take your point, shove it in a pipe, and smoke it you big turtle.

Govtcheez
03-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Damn, you're right....

If Chewbacca is a Wookie, then Linux isn't real!

ober
03-20-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Betazep
Yeah... but Santa Clause is real. So take your point, shove it in a pipe, and smoke it you big turtle.

LMFAO!!!

wait wait wait! will someone tell me the GD truth?

Mom: "Santa is real and he gives you presents"
Johnny on the playground: "Santa isn't real you fat dope... now pass the doobie"
Betazep: "Santa is real, shove something in a pipe and baby turtles will appear"

Betazep
03-20-2002, 12:14 PM
Ahhhh ha! Pulling out the ol' wookie card, are you? You are a sneaky one. I never saw it coming!

Betazep
03-20-2002, 12:16 PM
Who is this Santa person you are referring to? I think your smiley has had one to many.

Govtcheez
03-20-2002, 12:18 PM
Santa's real... Why would they make so many movies about someone who's not real? Who puts the GI Joes under my tree every year?

Betazep
03-20-2002, 12:24 PM
>>>Who puts the GI Joes under my tree every year?

I don't know... who... who... tell me!!!! Oooh oooh oooh! C'mon.... the suspense is killing me!

Brian
03-20-2002, 12:26 PM
ince ince ince ince ince ince ince ince ince ince == ince ince ince ince ince ince ince ince ince ince ince ince ince == ince ince ince

Govtcheez
03-20-2002, 12:28 PM
> I don't know... who... who... tell me!!!! Oooh oooh oooh! C'mon.... the suspense is killing me!

I think it's my neighbor. Or possibly the mailman.

Brian: I hear you man. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Deckard
03-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
If Chewbacca is a Wookie, then Linux isn't real!Ladies and Gentlemen, (pulls down picture of Chewbacca) this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookie from the planet Kishic, but Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it. That does not make sense.

Why would a Wookie, an eight-foot-tall Wookie, want to live on Endor with a bunch of two-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense. But more important, you have to ask yourself what does this have to do with Linux being real?

It does not make sense. Look at me. I'm a software engineer defending a major operating system, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and Gentlemen I am not making any sense. None of this makes sense. And so you have to remember when you're in that jury room deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No. Ladies and Gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor you must acquit. The defense rests.

Brian
03-20-2002, 12:31 PM
This is the place
Sit down, you're safe now
You've been stuck in a lift
We've been trying to reach you, Thom

This is the place
It won't hurt, it will not hurt

A smell of recognition
A face you barely loved
Empty all your pockets
'Cause it's time to go home

This is the place
Remembering all the things you always see

You've been stuck in a lift
In the belly of a whale
At the bottom of the ocean

A smell of recognition
A face you barely loved
Empty all your pockets
'Cause it's time to go home

Today is the first day of the rest of your days
So lighten up, squirt

Shiro
03-20-2002, 12:38 PM
>he's not from the US, so it doesn't matter anyways

Why?

Govtcheez
03-20-2002, 12:40 PM
> Why?

Because.

ober
03-20-2002, 12:41 PM
thank you Brian... that was touching...

now SHUTUP... :D

Deckard... did you do that all from memory or get that off a sound byte from South Park? Either way, it's hilarious as always... :D

ober
03-20-2002, 12:43 PM
>Why?

Everything good comes from the good ole US of A... how many times do we have to tell you underlings this?

Deckard
03-20-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ober5861
Deckard... did you do that all from memory or get that off a sound byte from South Park?No sound byte required. I keep the Chewbacca Defense tucked away in memory alongside the testimony of Colonel Nathan Jessup (Jack Nickolson) in A Few Good Men, and some interesting one-liners from Office Space. God knows I have to think about something other than ANSI C library functions.

Shiro
03-20-2002, 01:45 PM
>Everything good comes from the good ole US of A... how many
>times do we have to tell you underlings this?

Many many times. Since I just can't believe it. ;-)

muttski
03-20-2002, 01:54 PM
Of course were better, and we know how to spell and the proper name of things (mom/mum fries/chips).

Govtcheez
03-20-2002, 01:56 PM
> Of course were better,

I knew that was going to happen....

Cheez's first law of message boards:
Whenever someone makes a post stating their intellectual superiority, they will always contain a minor spelling or grammatical error.

muttski
03-20-2002, 01:58 PM
hehehe

ober
03-20-2002, 02:15 PM
never fails...

And Shiro.. I was just being sarcastic... seems to be a theme on this thread...

otherwise, see my title

Shiro
03-20-2002, 02:39 PM
Yep, I noticed the sarcastic theme of this thread. Doesn't matter.

>Whenever someone makes a post stating their intellectual
>superiority, they will always contain a minor spelling or
>grammatical error.

Does me remind at something. Recently in some paper there was an article about managers and mail. It seems mail-useage is related to the position in an organisation. A high-placed manager

1. Reacts very late at incoming mail.
2. Replies with a very short mail.
3. Makes a lot of spelling and grammar error, as one does when one is in a hurry (= is very busy).

Nutshell
03-21-2002, 05:40 AM
I was once enthused by LInux, but after learning basic stuff for a few weeks i didn't know where to go on. LIke i've learnt all the basics to operate the OS, but then nuffin else. I am back to xp now.....

alex
03-21-2002, 11:37 AM
All linux-users should register at http://counter.li.org/!

Just for fun...
alex