PDA

View Full Version : Lightsabers at the ready......

Fordy
03-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Saw the new trailer for Episode II - Attack of the Clones yesterday....

Looks real good.....lots of swordfighting and general SciFi mayhem....

Ewan McGregor (sp?) looks weird with a beard.......makes him look like a "real ale drinker".....

Cant wait until May when I can see it!

Barjor
03-15-2002, 03:47 PM
Can't wait to see it. I will be there opening day. The new trailer have more action then the first one that was mostly romantic stuf(yikes) Also looks like we will finaly see more of yoda.

Cheeze-It
03-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I saw the new trailer on Sunday (after
"Malcom in the Middle"). It looks very, very cool.
I didn't see any Jar Jar, either. Yay!

Barjor
03-15-2002, 04:03 PM
It is so cool to see how things tie in with episode 4. How the emperial stormtroops are borned. How anakin is going bad.

Betazep
03-15-2002, 09:25 PM
I sure hope they leave out the comic relief bit like jar jar and focus more on what makes SW great: the story and the action. Mild slapstick humor is ok, but jj went way to far, and added to that is that he was computer animated (not to mention just plain stupid). Computer animation has come light years, but unless you are making a computer animated movie, I do not think that one of the main characters should be...

Star Wars movies shouldn't be written to accomodate small children. It isn't a small children storyline... IMO

Betazep
03-16-2002, 07:12 PM
ok... I reserve the right to change my mind without reason. (my wife does it all the time... so I should at least get one this year)

Jar Jar still sucked...

gnu-ehacks
03-17-2002, 10:14 PM
I heard Justin Timberlake is on it. Is this true?

novacain
03-18-2002, 12:13 AM
But we know the ending.

The little kid goes bad, hunts down the good guys and kills them. Has a romance with the princess resulting in two children, boy and girl.
Gets hurt and comes back as a force powered robot with bad asmah(?).

I, for one would like to see DV with a cute cartoon sidekick. Any advance on a shrunken head with an eating disorder?

Govtcheez
03-18-2002, 12:34 PM
I don't know how it works in the UK, but in the States, you can decduct from your taxes for donations made to a church... All of you British Jedis - how about making a tax deduction for buying the tickets and merchandise? :D

Brian
03-18-2002, 12:38 PM
Jedi isn't a religion here.

It is just recognised by the census computers to save time and trouble caused by the idiots who wrote their religion as jedi on their form.

Govtcheez
03-18-2002, 12:42 PM
>Jedi isn't a religion here.
It is just recognised by the census computers to save time and trouble caused by the idiots who wrote their religion as jedi on their form.<

Doesn't that make it just as much of a religion as Christianity, or does a religion need the queen's okay to make it official?

Brian
03-18-2002, 12:44 PM
If you put Jedi as your religion on a job application, you would probably be less likely to get the job.

Doing that for a real religion would put the employer in a load of horse hooey.

Govtcheez
03-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Wait, religion can be taken into account when you're being hired? That really, really sucks...

Brian
03-18-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Wait, religion can be taken into account when you're being hired? That really, really sucks...

I was thinking that right after I posted...bad example :(

Fordy
03-19-2002, 01:03 AM
Nope...tax laws are far less allowing in this country......

You cannot deduct donations to Churches, Yoda or anything......:(

novacain
03-19-2002, 01:30 AM
The jedi thing started as a hoax.

We in Aust took is seriously enough to warn of teh penalty.

http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3110124.NSF/24e5997b9bf2ef35ca2567fb00299c59/86429d11c45d4e73ca256a400006af80

Look here
http://www.snopes.com/religion/jedi.htm

Fordy
03-19-2002, 01:37 AM
That's awful......

I hate the whole census idea.....the idea of actually telling the truth on that form horrifies me!

Govtcheez
03-19-2002, 08:23 AM
From novacain's first link:

If your belief system is "Jedi" then answer as such on the census form. But if you would normally answer Anglican or Jewish or Buddhist or something else to the question "what is your religion?" and for the census you answer "Jedi" then this may impact on social services provision if enough people do the same.That's interesting... They talk about how putting down Jedi'll screw things up, and then they say that if you really are a Jedi, go ahead and put it down, almost as if they're admitting that Jedi's a reasonable response... Is there any established Church of the Jedi? I don't mean some idiot's geocities page or something....

Also - novacain - your webpages say different stuff... The snopes page says the head of the ABS threatened a fine, and the abs page says they didn't... Which actually happened?

Fordy
03-19-2002, 05:53 PM
I'm fairly sure donations to registered charities count for tax relief in the UK but I don't know what the threshold is; probably in the 5-10% range.

Ah......thinking about it.....actually you are right....but what you do is nominate a topslice of your income that the employer will pay on your behalf.......

novacain
03-19-2002, 11:01 PM
>>Also - novacain - your webpages say different stuff... The snopes page says the head of the ABS threatened a fine, and the abs page says they didn't... Which actually happened?

I put Rastafarian. I never heard any more. AFAIK no fines issued.
Think Snopes got it wrong.

Here churches are tax free. Big argument about the Mormans, I think it is, who run, what is now, the biggest farming company in Australia. They are putting all the profits thru the church, so tax free, but buying more and more farms.
As they do not have to pay the 10% GST on any purchases, or other taxes, have real price advantage at the shop.

>> then it must be ok for a 'Jedi Knight' to go practice his Alec Guiness accent, beard growing and sword swishing however often the 'religion' prescribes.

And DV's huski voice.
"I'm not asleep, I'm performing the Han Solo Carbonite ritual of Freezing."

_Will333_
03-20-2002, 12:13 PM
http://www.jedifaith.com/

I even went so far as you emailling one of the leaders to "humor him". Believe me, this guy wasn't kidding! :eek: