PDA

View Full Version : jargon [with a point this tyme]

doubleanti
03-14-2002, 01:06 AM
think of some jargon, and describe it, explain it, so that we can be better people and more knowledgeable and can go "haha, muahahah, mua+ha^n (n>0)..." and increase our enpho...

Oh, and I'm feeling unworthy right now so I won't bother to start... or, better yet... we can ask what a term means, and the next poster will explain it, and ask for the defn of a new term... much better...

[and, Salem/Adrianxw, don't go spoiling this now and replying, and then not have any question, cuz we know you know _everything_ in the universe about anything we'd ask, and kill off our beautiful thread... :)]

Okay, SCSI... [and it's technical specs, is it worth it, and is it used? Oh, and btw, what's this RAID thing I hear about? thanks...]

Govtcheez
03-14-2002, 09:35 AM
RAID == Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives... Really interesting - Betazep and someone else enlightened me on this awhile ago - I don't remember the name of the the thread, but I know Betazep started it...

Edit:
http://www.cprogramming.com/cboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9430&highlight=RAID

Betazep, adrian, and drewpee enlightened me :)

Deckard
03-14-2002, 09:55 AM
Every once in a while we encounter a problem pronounced "I.D. - TEN - TEE", spelled ID10T (or idiot).

There's also the PDBL protocol. PDBL, which stands for the "Pixie-Dust of Buzzword Layering", describes technologies that are used because they're new or "sound cool", and haven't really been evaluated for technical merit. Elitest Hipsters are easily susceptible to PDBL.

The PFM protocol is another one. PFM, which stands for "Pure Magic" (I'll let you guess what the F means), describes anything that works, but you don't know the details of.

Govtcheez
03-14-2002, 09:58 AM
> PDBL

> PFM

Oooo - those are good - I'll have to remember them.... Along the same line are PEBKAC - problem exists between keyboard and chair.

Deckard
03-14-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
PEBKAC"Hmm, it sounds like there's a problem with your KCI unit..."

KCI == Keyboard to Chair Interface :)

DrakkenKorin
03-14-2002, 11:02 AM
>PEBKAC

I first heard/saw that on User Friendly (some comic strip I found someday while I was looking for something else).

all done while at work!

Prelude
03-14-2002, 11:37 AM
BFMI - Brute Force and Massive Ignorance
Heisenbugs - A program breaks, you step through the code and it works beautifully, run it again and it breaks. A very apt name.
TLA - Three Letter Acronym, I used this for a project name one time.
BAD - Broken As Designed.
UART - User Attitude Readjustment Tool, aka Error messages :D
Nasal Demons - Undefined behavior

This may be off topic, but I have a poster that says this on the wall at work. I found it online and just had to have it by my desk :)

Computer Instructions by Dr. Seuss
----------------------------------
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
and the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,
and the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
then the socket packet pocket has an error to report.

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash,
and the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash,
and your data is corrupted 'cause the index doesn't hash,
then your situation's hopeless and your system's gonna crash!

If the label on the cable on the table at your house
says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,
but your packets want to tunnel on another protocol,
that's repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall,
and your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss,
so your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse,
then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang,
'cause as sure as I'm a poet, the sucker's gonna hang!

When the copy of your floppy's getting sloppy on the disk,
and the microcode instructions cause unnecessary risk,
then you have to flash your memory
and you'll want to RAM your ROM.
Quickly turn off the computer
and be sure to tell your Mom.

-Prelude

Brian
03-14-2002, 12:00 PM
Shake hands, genocide, molasses.
Jet powered caravans, molasses.
I'm too good, you're stuck on
Rent free earthquake zone, molasses

I need someone else's glasses
Starving waitresses in plasters
Fat houseflies, genocide
We've been stitched up, molasses.

doubleanti
03-14-2002, 04:27 PM
thank you for taking my thread completely out of context once again... i was serious, i really would like for this to work... so, let me try this again...

Socket 7...

novacain
03-15-2002, 03:01 AM
Sorry DA,

SEP Someone Elses Problem.
UDP Ultra Dumb Protocol.
FNG F***ing New Guy

Watch out if the FNG tries to use UDP, creating a SEP.
Other wise known as the muppet factor.

Deckard
03-15-2002, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by doubleanti
thank you for taking my thread completely out of context once again... i was seriousSadly, these really are industry terms. You can get information on the less-humorous industry terms at FOLDOC (http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/index.html).

Drewpee
03-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Sorry DA,

>Socket 7...

Its a processor - motherboard interface architecture that was used by the Pentium AMD and Cyrix chips. Fairly common, big square chip with a bunch on pins on the bottom. Intel phased it out with the slot 1, the a few more cariations of socket (I think they're on socket 478 now (478 == # of pins on the bottom of the chip)) AMD stick with the socket 7 up untill the latest generation of XP xx00+ processors.

NFG - No f#!king good
BFH - Big f#!king hammer