PDA

View Full Version : support for ext4 filesystem

rak1986
06-30-2009, 03:12 AM
I need to write a backup/restore utility for Linux. Even the ext4 file-system will be supported. While I download Fedora 11 using the ext4 file-system I had a question.

Will the existing API's on Linux support ext4 or the new kernel has a different set of API's to identify the ext4 file-system ? This is because I would be building the binaries on an older kernel version

Thanks

MK27
06-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Will the existing API's on Linux support ext4 or the new kernel has a different set of API's to identify the ext4 file-system ? This is because I would be building the binaries on an older kernel version

Your code doesn't actually include any kernel headers, right? The compatibility issue will be about the GNU C library itself, not the kernel. Eg, if you compile using libc-2.7 and the new system uses libc-2.9 there could be problems.

Back-up/restore is a user-land activity. Why does it matter what the filesystem type is?

Also, why do you want to compile the binaries and try to port those? Why don't you just compile from source on the new system?

Kennedy
06-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Make it completely library independent by statically linking all of your binaries. Eg, use BusyBox (a subdivision of BuildRoot) as your main dude.