PDA

View Full Version : bring back animated avatars!

MK27
05-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I went to all the trouble of making this very nice, tasteful, animated gif and then I found out we are not allowed to use them (anymore, meaning all the ones you see must be a few years old).

The 55x55 version of this is only 14k, and I think *everybody* should be allowed to use an animated avatar if SlyMaelstorm is. I don't like the idea of animation in signatures, tho.

cpjust
05-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Why did they ban them?
I liked Salem's nuke of void main()... :)

webmaster
05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
This is a vBulletin setting that probably changed at some point during an upgrade.

Anyway, I will respect the results of this poll... For the purpose of making that decision, voting closes next Sunday.

EVOEx
05-04-2009, 03:25 AM
I went to all the trouble of making this very nice, tasteful, animated gif and then I found out we are not allowed to use them (anymore, meaning all the ones you see must be a few years old).

The 55x55 version of this is only 14k, and I think *everybody* should be allowed to use an animated avatar if SlyMaelstorm is. I don't like the idea of animation in signatures, tho.

I tried to read your post... But that moving image just kept pulling my eyes towards it. It was horrible. I still haven't actually read your post, I just voted the item that started with "No".

zacs7
05-04-2009, 06:53 AM
I think users should be allowed to do it, but if they do then they should be punished.

It's a bit like, you can use illegal drugs but if you're caught then you're in trouble. That way you can think of SlyMaelstorm and Salem as drug lords.

abachler
05-04-2009, 11:39 AM
The nature and content of the animated gifs should be covered under the user agrrment though. Nothing that is intentionally designed to distract or attract attention like a flashing white and red alternating background, and it shoudl be a privelage, not a right, if people abuse it they should lose the privelage, I belive theres avBulletin settign to disallow a user to use avatars which is specifically meant for this situation.

MK27
05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
The nature and content of the animated gifs should be covered under the user agrrment though. Nothing that is intentionally designed to distract or attract attention

There is something ironic here that I can't quite finger...

Are you just trying to create work for the staff??!? There may be a method to check gifs for things like frame rate, etc, but it certainly won't be built into vbulletin. The best idea would be to allow the user to configure this (eg "turn off animated gifs"...if this were a perl user forum, there'd be a whole cavalcade of scripts you could use to filter content, eg, so that you only ever have to view your own posts) ;)

Anyway, I found this in an old thread about the same issue (by registered user "Queatrix") which is just about the nicest, most beautiful thing I've seen all day. After animated gifs are reinstated, can someone start a poll to make this abachler's mandatory avatar?

BuzzBuzz
05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
In the event of animated gif, press <ESC>.....

ahhhh that's better.

cpjust
05-04-2009, 05:24 PM

ahhhh that's better.

and what's that supposed to do?

BuzzBuzz
05-05-2009, 03:25 AM
and what's that supposed to do?

It makes the animated annoyance a static annoyance. For me at least. Your mileage may vary.

cpjust
05-05-2009, 05:15 AM
It makes the animated annoyance a static annoyance. For me at least. Your mileage may vary.

Looks like works with IE, but not on Google Chrome. :(

Magos
05-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Bring back what? :)

EVOEx
05-05-2009, 06:58 AM

ahhhh that's better.

Thank you very, very, very much!
I didn't know this yet. And it's extremely useful ;).

(works on FF)

BuzzBuzz
05-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Thank you very, very, very much!
I didn't know this yet. And it's extremely useful ;).

(works on FF)

Back in the day it was the only way to prevent seizures and/or blindness (especially when banner ads really took off and pages were a blinding mess of flashing contrasting colours telling you that you've won....something).

zacs7
05-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Back in the day it was the only way to prevent seizures and/or blindness (especially when banner ads really took off and pages were a blinding mess of flashing contrasting colours telling you that you've won....something).

But how else do you know if you're the 100,000th visitor?

Yarin
05-05-2009, 11:16 AM
The avatar size limit on this board is pretty tight. I'm not asking for the width limit to be loosen now, I absolutely hate it when people have these whopping avatars that take up half the screen - on some boards.
My point is, how can you be annoyed by animated avatars on this board? They're so small, only so much animation can take place! If you get easily destracted by them - well, you must not find the topic's posts all that interesting, or you just like watching our gay milk cartons.

BuzzBuzz
05-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Gay milk cartons?

Anyway, personally (which means I'm speaking only for myself here) when I read something I'm there for the words. I like an icon to identify the poster as that helps for quick recognition at a later point in the discussion. But if I wanted to watch an animation I would....go to a site that shows cartoons and watch all the pretty moving pictures until I became a drooling mess.

However, this is the intertubes and part of the appeal of that is that there are a million different tasty doohickies interacting which is great so I don't mind a GOOD animated avatar if the user has created it themselves and it is interesting to look at (and I've done it myself in the past). What twists my nipple is when people have crap like "Dancing Spidey" or the black kid mouthing "That's racist" as avatars - for crying out loud people get some sodding originality.

But when all is said and done, the site admin decides what is and what is not acceptable and I'm happy to abide by those rules for as long as I want to visit the site.

So please, take this as a plea from a seasoned ESCAPE presser - if you have an animated avatar, make it original.

/steps off soapbox

PS

I don't know, I clicked those links a gazillion times and never got a free iPod. I obviously just missed the boat each time.

EVOEx
05-05-2009, 02:26 PM

xkcd - A Webcomic - New Car (http://xkcd.com/570/)

Snafuist
05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
bring back animated avatars!

NO, I hate animated gifs

Greets,
Philip

maxorator
05-06-2009, 08:47 AM
They seemed to prefer numbers like 999999 for some reason.

whiteflags
05-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm more upset that the dimensions you can use are so small.

ಠ_ಠ
05-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm more upset that the dimensions you can use are so small.

yeah, plz enable 10000x10000 gif images

BuzzBuzz
05-09-2009, 02:08 PM
yeah, plz enable 10000x10000 gif images

You want 100000000 gif images for an avatar? That's either one hell of an animation, or you're just plain greedy.

ಠ_ಠ
05-09-2009, 02:41 PM
It's really awesome

webmaster
05-12-2009, 05:38 AM
As voted, animated avatars can now be used.

Homer_Simpson
05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
waaaahoooo!!!

robwhit
05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Ironically, now I find MK27's avatar really annoying. I want to punch it in the face.

ಠ_ಠ
05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
sweet

BuzzBuzz
05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Democracy has brought it upon itself....

Homer_Simpson
05-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Ironically, now I find MK27's avatar really annoying. I want to punch it in the face.

anymore threats like that against the family and we sent mickey & bugs over with some props

ಠ_ಠ
05-13-2009, 02:54 PM
anymore threats like that against the family and we sent mickey & bugs over with some props

It's not polite to time travel in the middle of a sentence

abachler
05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Can I use an animated naked picture of my girlfriend as my avatar?

ಠ_ಠ
05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Can I use an animated naked picture of my girlfriend as my avatar?

yeah, just click the "Do not use an avatar" option

SlyMaelstrom
05-13-2009, 05:59 PM
yeah, just click the "Do not use an avatar" optionAlright, that was pretty good.

Aparavoid
05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
yeah, just click the "Do not use an avatar" option

Yeah. Watching a silver smiley face's eyes bleed out is better.

whiteflags
05-13-2009, 11:10 PM

ahhhh that's better.

Better yet you can turn off avatars through the edit options link of the options section in the control panel.

BuzzBuzz
05-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Better yet you can turn off avatars through the edit options link of the options section in the control panel.

That is true. But only works for this site. Whereas <ESC> works for the whole of the internet. I prefer to see the avatars as they allow for quick reference as to who is posting.