PDA

View Full Version : English words for stuff is killing me

Akkernight
04-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Hello.

I'm not English, thus English math and stuff, I don't understand well :S
So could someone please transelate, since this is based of a C++ course I'm taking...

# Arithmetic Operations

* Unary Arithmetic Operations
* The Modulus Operator
* Compound Arithmetic Operations
* Operator Precedence

# Literal Assignments
# Type Conversions / Casts

Thanks in advance!

Brafil
04-18-2009, 06:45 AM
# Arithmetic operations: Operators like + (addition), - (subtraction), * (multiplication), / (division), % (modulo) etc. performing mathematical operations.

* Unary ...: like above but with just one operand, for example the pre/postincrement operator ++ which takes one argument (same for --, ~, ! or unary minus).

* Modulus: If you say 20 % 3, you mean what is left over if you divide 20 by 3 (in this case 2).

* Operator precedence: The order in which arithmetic operators are evaluated. * (multiplication) has a higher precedence than + (addition), so * is evaluated first. Consult this from your math teacher (if you have one)

# Casts: if you have a char, and you need an int, you just convert it to int ("integer = (int)character"). The value of character remains unchanged.

Im not sure about compound operators and literal assignments. Hope you've understood something.

Akkernight
04-18-2009, 07:13 AM
ah... Yes, I know those things, just not in English xP
So thanks!

lruc
04-18-2009, 07:31 AM
What's your natural language?

Akkernight
04-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Faroese ;)

I guess we have no word for 'Arithmetic', but just say Elementary school math or something xP

SlyMaelstrom
04-18-2009, 09:38 AM
People have told me that Google Translate is pretty good, though I don't know how it would hold up with any kind of technical terminology, though. Here is what it gives me for your slab of questions (in Danish since I can't get Faroese)
# Aritmetiske operationer

* Unary aritmetiske operationer
* De modul OperatÝr
* Sammensatte aritmetiske operationer
* OperatÝr Precedence

# Bogstavelig Assignments
# Type Konverteringer / kasterNaturally you can see there are a number of words that it didn't even know how to translate. The others seem almost too straight-forward for you to not pick up on... I dunno, seems like technical math terms are out when it comes to translators.

Akkernight
04-18-2009, 11:01 AM
hah! That Danish conversion is mostly just English xP
And I think I'm better at English than Danish anyways :P

sean
04-18-2009, 02:14 PM
When I first learned Spanish, it was by talking to real people, and I got really good. I was told by a lot of native speakers that I had done a good job of learning to sound native. But then I came to school and almost flunked a Spanish class because all the word and principles they were teaching were nothing like what I learned by talking to the average Joe (or Jose...) I guess learning Spanish at an international academic level is a completely different language than street Spanish - I suppose the same goes for Danish.