PDA

View Full Version : Favorite video games?

ಠ_ಠ
04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
What are your favorite video games?

mine is Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (I've spent ~300 hours playing)

Desolation
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Old school (and not so old school) games I'd say.

Megaman X and X2.
Super Mario Bros
Zelda : Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask
Goldeneye
Final Fantasy VI & VII

I've played the Deluxe version of Crayon Physics recently and it rocks my world too =)

abachler
04-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Tic Tac Toe XXVI: Revenge of the O's

cyberfish
04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Final Fantasy (I've played VII, VIII, X, Crisis Core, just started XII, and a bit of X-2, and waiting for XIII)

Have to admit they are going downhills, though. X is okay, Crisis Core was garbage, and X-2 was a joke.

For more detail... my very relevant blog post from months ago -
cyberfish’s blog Blog Archive Quality games. Anyone? - “One who is primarily motivated by passion” (http://cyberfish.wecheer.com/blog/?p=3)

abachler
04-06-2009, 11:31 PM
X-3 is good, i shoudl reinstall it

ಠ_ಠ
04-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Crisis Core was garbage

;_;

what was wrong with it?

ulillillia
04-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Mostly old stuff from the PS1 era and earlier. For the newer games, it's primary Super Monkey Ball 2 where I often perform very crazy stunts (I have a video on YouTube where I get tossed up at 4500 mph and safely manage to reach the goal after all that bouncing). I especially like the original Bubsy, so much so that I want to get the SNES version even though I have the Genesis version (which has a few thousand hours logged on it (spanning over almost 15 years now)). FF2 is also high up there (the real FF2, not FF4's US SNES name). FF12 wasn't too bad, though the battle system is a bit buggy when it comes to having multiple characters with ranged weapons, and it lacks variety. Despite that, I still want to play the game again, to reach level 99 as early as possible (I was in the upper 50's by the time I began getting the game's main characters, Balthier for one).... I also like Mario, but it has apparently all but vanished after the SNES era.

cpjust
04-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Zelda & Zelda the Minish Cap, Final Fantasy I & II, Super Mario Bros 1-3.

sean
04-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter (original 1987 edition, that is) and DOOM.

Old school, baby

SlyMaelstrom
04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
I'll have to chime in on this one. Since I have so many that I enjoy and generally have trouble picking favorites, I'll give you my favorites by system that I've owned and then try and give a few overall favorites at the end.

Sega Genesis:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- King's Bounty
- Toe Jam & Earl

Nintendo Gameboy (and subsets):
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Pokemon (I had to say it, the original was actually a very good game)

Sony Playstation:
- Final Fantasy (Series)
- Resident Evil (Series)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Silent Hill

Nintendo 64:
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- GoldenEye
- Super Smash Bros.
- Pilot Wings? (For some reason I played it a lot)

Sega Dreamcast:
- Sonic Adventure
- Shenmue
- Soul Calibur
- Skies of Arcadia

Playstation 2:
- Metal Gear Solid (Series)
- Final Fantasy X (X-2 sucked)
- Resident Evil 4 (Outbreak kind of sucked)
- Silent Hill (Series, though I should really say 2)
- Grand Theft Auto (Series)

Gamecube:
- Resident Evil (Series)
- Super Smash Bros: Melee

XBox:
- Halo :)

For the current generation consoles, I honestly can't say that I'd put any of the games I own in my favorites. Good games, some of them, nothing spectacular, yet... though.

... and finally PC:
- Fallout (1 & 2, not 3 or BoS, bleh)
- Warcraft (Series)
- Baldur's Gate 2
- Historically, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch that aren't coming to mind. ... but in that sense it's hard to call them favorites, I guess.

... and as for my all-time favorites among the above, I guess I'd say the games that had the biggest impact on me at the time of their release would be Sonic The Hedgehog, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy VIII (which I actually played before VII, even though that was the better game).

abachler
04-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter (original 1987 edition, that is) and DOOM.

Old school, baby

Woot space quest, I can still remember that game. Yay for dehydrated water, just add air.

cyberfish
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Baldur's Gate 2
Ah, love that, too.

Akkernight
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Right now I'm playing Sacred 2 kinda much... I'm all into the new generation of games xP Really can't take the old games and their graphics D: well, some I do like, still most of them I can't take xP
But games that really rock:
Sacred1 & 2
Diablo 1 & 2
Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne
Command & Conquer (really too many of them that are good to point out) My current favorite is Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath.
GTA (mostly all of them are hilareous!)
Saints Row 2
Raindbow Six: Vegas 2
Fable 2 (Ultra leet! Everyone should play :O)
Age of Conan (This rocks the MMO world! Especially now that it's getting patched up to actually being good xP)

And then LOADS of 2D games, like Icy Tower, Meatboy, ect.

psychopath
04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
For me: Deus Ex, GTA 3, Spyro (the first one - loved it as a kid), Gran Turismo (quite fond of 1 and 2 for nostalgic reasons).

Sentral
04-07-2009, 01:43 PM
My favorite is the Elder Scrolls series, specifically, Elder Scrolls Oblivion for Xbox 360. It was so amazing when it first came out! The huge streaming landscape, first person sword battles, and tons of quests. Awesome! :D I still play it once in a while too.

mike_g
04-07-2009, 03:25 PM
In no particular order:

SMD: revenge of shinobi, devil crash, castlevania
Amiga: Leander, Project X, Alien Breed, Civilization
PS1: Wipeout, Suikoden2, Front Mission 3, FF7
GBA: Advance wars
PS2: Timesplitters 2, GTA3
PC: UT GOTY, Morrowind, Quake, System Shock 2, X-com
XBox 360: COD4, Soul Calibur 4

happyclown
04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Let's talk ancient school arcade:

galaga/galaxian
double dragon
wonderboy
golden axe
1941/1942
twin cobra
ghouls
shadow warriors
shinobi
raiden
rygar
frogger
elevator man/action
chelnov
act fancer
chop lifter
willow
and a whole lot more

These were classic games in the arcades from the 80's

And I play them all on my computer, thanks to an emulator that runs a copy of the ROMs from the arcade machines.

It's good to be me. :cool:

EDIT: For those interested in using an emulator to run classic games, look here:

http://mamedev.org/

Now let's talk old skool PC:

space quest
hero quest
king's quest
police quest
monkey island

Nothing beats the adventures games from Sierra Online from the 90's. Nothing.

Unfortunately, I don't have these games on my PC, because they require DOS. But I am thinking of aquiring an ancient PC to run DOS and these games. ;)

cyberfish
04-07-2009, 06:12 PM
But I am thinking of acquiring an ancient PC to run DOS and these games.

Just run a virtual machine.

VMware Virtualization Technology, Virtual Machine, Green IT Servers, Hypervisor - VMware (http://www.vmware.com/)

Neo1
04-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Classic Unreal Tournament, DOOM I+II, Quake 3 Arena, F.E.A.R

More recently i've been enjoying Crysis and Crysis Warhead, solely based on the wow-effect, stunning graphics! (And no, i don't need amazing gameplay if i can go 'wow that looks amazing' every thirty seconds, that's entertainment as well and that's the point of a video game surely?)

Call Of Duty 4: MW is great fun as well, both single-player and multi-player, same can't be said for COD5! Get Infinity Ward back on that series!

Also i found Mirror's Edge to be quite entertaining, a bit too short, but very different from the millions of other stupid inane EA games.

quzah
04-07-2009, 08:27 PM
My favorite is the Elder Scrolls series, specifically, Elder Scrolls Oblivion for Xbox 360. It was so amazing when it first came out! The huge streaming landscape, first person sword battles, and tons of quests. Awesome! :D I still play it once in a while too.Arena was the best one they made. Daggerfall was still pretty good. The rest were steaming heaps of crap.

Quzah.

Sentral
04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I've haven't played those two, so I can't really judge them. Yea, I do agree that Morrowind was pretty lame, but Oblivion is pretty kick ass!

Snafuist
04-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have these games on my PC, because they require DOS. But I am thinking of aquiring an ancient PC to run DOS and these games. ;)

Have a look at ScummVM, which allows you to run S.C.U.M.M.-based adventure games (i.e. nearly everything that has been made by LucasArts). For a more general DOS experience, download DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS.

It doesn't seem to be illegal to host DOS games in Austria, as Index of / (http://oldgames.0wnz.at/) has been up for the last two years, though I'm not sure whether all of the games on this site have already been abandoned (and frankly speaking, I don't care).

I stopped playing computer games several years ago, but I loved the adventure games (Monkey Island, D.O.T.T., Maniac Mansion, Simon the Sorcerer, Zak McKracken, Sam'n'Max) and first person shooters (DOOM, Quake, Counterstrike).

Today, I play Tetris and computer Go, if I don't have enough time/patience for a human opponent.

Greets,
Philip

happyclown
04-08-2009, 04:47 AM
For a more general DOS experience, download DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS.

Thanks for the info, Philip! :)

I found a site where you can download classic games, and DOSBox is included with the installation. So you just download, install and play.

And here's my favourite game of all time, Hero's Quest. 8 color EGA graphics...those were the days. *sigh*

Check out the screen caps.

Hero's Quest: So You Want To Be A Hero, :: DJ OldGames (http://www.oldgames.sk/en/games.php?pictures=224)

Looks like I'll be staying up late tonight! ;)

happyclown
04-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Now let's talk old skool PC:

space quest
hero quest
king's quest
police quest
monkey island

Oh my god, I just found all these games for download! :D

I feel like I've just receive the best gift ever! :D

Time to put aside programming for the next few months and relive my mispent youth! YIPPEEE! :D

You can get the classic PC games here:

Old Games to Download :: DJ OldGames (http://www.oldgames.sk/en/)

mike_g
04-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Arena was the best one they made. Daggerfall was still pretty good. The rest were steaming heaps of crap.

Quzah.
Eh? Daggerfall was a buggy pile of crap. From distant memory I recall having to save every 5 minutes in case I decided to fall through the floor. Apart from that it was just an infinity of random generated environments made up from about 10 different clumps of ugly things in various arrangements. The game sucked and arena looks even worse. Morrowind was the first game in the series not to suck.

quzah
04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Eh? Daggerfall was a buggy pile of crap. From distant memory I recall having to save every 5 minutes in case I decided to fall through the floor.Clearly you've never played Arena! ;)
Apart from that it was just an infinity of random generated environments made up from about 10 different clumps of ugly things in various arrangements. The game sucked and arena looks even worse. Morrowind was the first game in the series not to suck.I only wish you were kidding. They hired a bunch of morons because the originator quit, IIRC. Their excuse for Morrowind was "anyone can do random, we're hand placing everything", which really meant: "We're too goddamn stupid to make random ANYTHING except random overland creatures! We're complete morons who couldn't make a random dungeon, or random quest to save our lives! Hey look, our game has NO REPLAYABILITY because once you go through it, everything's in exactly the same place, and all the quests for everyone are exactly the same in the exact same order! We've totally cut the roots off of our family tree and burned them!"

Get off my lawn.

Quzah.

lruc
04-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I used to like mmorpgs but now I'm more into fps's like halo and cod4. I would also like to take this oppurtunity to again mention how cool the jak and daxter series is.

Oldman47
04-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Being a dinosaur myself, I like any game with dinosaurs. I'm also somewhat hooked on the tomb raider series, although some of the latest releases weren't all that great.

Neo1
04-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Being a dinosaur myself, I like any game with dinosaurs. I'm also somewhat hooked on the tomb raider series, although some of the latest releases weren't all that great.

That series died after the 4th installment imo! The third one was great though, tons of fun :)

mike_g
04-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Clearly you've never played Arena! ;)
Well, it looks like you got me on that one.

I only wish you were kidding. They hired a bunch of morons because the originator quit, IIRC. Their excuse for Morrowind was "anyone can do random, we're hand placing everything", which really meant: "We're too goddamn stupid to make random ANYTHING except random overland creatures! We're complete morons who couldn't make a random dungeon, or random quest to save our lives! Hey look, our game has NO REPLAYABILITY because once you go through it, everything's in exactly the same place, and all the quests for everyone are exactly the same in the exact same order! We've totally cut the roots off of our family tree and burned them!"

Get off my lawn.

Quzah.
I don't know about the politics behind it all, but so far I have not been all that impressed with random generated environments in pretty much any game. They never appear to be created with any kind of intelligence, or even as a result of natural processes. I'll change my mind when someone can come up with a better AI.

zacs7
04-09-2009, 06:41 AM
That series died after the 4th installment imo! The third one was great though, tons of fun :)

The question is. Would you still play it if she was an ugly fat chick, or a guy?

Probably not :-)

SlyMaelstrom
04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
The question is. Would you still play it if she was an ugly fat chick, or a guy?I'd give anything to see a fat chick jump 20-feet across a bottomless crevasse to catch the edge of a cliff and scale across it to the nearest platform. Now, that's real entertainment.

quzah
04-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, it looks like you got me on that one.Here's a tip: Don't shoot arrows over water.
I don't know about the politics behind it all, but so far I have not been all that impressed with random generated environments in pretty much any game. They never appear to be created with any kind of intelligence, or even as a result of natural processes. I'll change my mind when someone can come up with a better AI.The main difference that bugged me about the newer ones is a complete lack of replayability. My next hero knew everything the previous one did. "Oh, I should totally go to this town and do that. Hey, there's a cave here that has... Oh boy, I just love these same quests over and over again!"

In Arena, you could walk up to people and get random gossip. It might say something about a dungeon which might have a legendary item, or it might say someone over by the Cup of Blood wants someone to clear out rats. The point is, there was always something to do, and while they'd be similar, it wouldn't be the exact same thing in the exact same spot every time.

Otherwise, it's like reading the same book over and over. Sure it might be a good story, but after a couple of times through, it's not as enjoyable.

Quzah.

abachler
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't know about the politics behind it all, but so far I have not been all that impressed with random generated environments in pretty much any game. They never appear to be created with any kind of intelligence, or even as a result of natural processes. I'll change my mind when someone can come up with a better AI.

High quality terrain generation programming is non-trivial. Most dev companies buy a pregenerated world from a specialized developer.