PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid almost hit the earth on Monday

VirtualAce
03-04-2009, 11:24 PM
This past Monday an asteroid almost hit earth. Sounds like stuff right out of the movies but it's true. This asteroid was not a 'killer' asteroid but if it had hit it probably would have done some significant damage. Closest impact point was somewhere west of Tahiti which means an ocean impact. Most sites are saying it came within 45,000 miles of Earth which is roughly twice the height of our communications satellites.

http://www.comcast.net/data/fan/html/popup.html?v=1051770758&pl=1051800348.xml&plc=1051800348&launchpoint=Cover&cid=fancover&attr=default_headline&config=/config/common/fan/default.xml

I guess the Earth is sort of in the middle of a shooting gallery.

jEssYcAt
03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Apparently our economy woes are affecting the rest of the solar system too, so they're taking aim to remove the problem...

Kidding aside, that's scary stuff. He's quite right when he says "blissfully ignorant".

arpsmack
03-05-2009, 01:24 AM
The story was interesting, but did anyone else think the news anchor was painfully annoying? It's pretty much all I could think about the entire time I was watching it.

maxorator
03-05-2009, 06:28 AM
It first shows an ad, saying that after that it's gonna show the near hit video, then it jumps to another ad, saying it will show another random video that I'm not interested in next. Then when the ad is over it skips that video too and just randomly throws another ad. When I did some tampering with their packets I found this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><playlist><title>Unavailable</title><choice>
<url>http://thumbnails.theplatform.com.edgesuite.net/thePlatform/Unavailable.flv</url>
<title>Unavailable</title>
<description>You are not in a geographic region that has access to this content.</description>
</choice></playlist>
Stupid site... I can't view any videos there.

whiteflags
03-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Gotta celebrate the narrow victories in life

cpjust
03-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Stupid site... I can't view any videos there.

Yeah, I just get "This content is currently unavailable" played over and over too.

SlyMaelstrom
03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
You have to be in the Comcast subscriber region to view their content. I'm not paying a premium on my cable service to provide news to Canada and Estonia! >_<

If you really want to, you can grab a proxy in the region and it should work fine.

abachler
03-05-2009, 11:39 AM
bah, the video failed to play, then it showed an ad, then the net one also failed to play, btu the ads work just fine.

psychopath
03-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Gotta celebrate the narrow victories in life
Really? If it did hit, I might not of had to worry about my Political Science midterm today.

maxorator
03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
You have to be in the Comcast subscriber region to view their content. I'm not paying a premium on my cable service to provide news to Canada and Estonia! >_<

If you really want to, you can grab a proxy in the region and it should work fine.
I'm not paying to Youtube either, but I still see its videos. Go figure...

(Oh wait! Is streaming ads less intensive for the server than streaming videos?)

SlyMaelstrom
03-05-2009, 02:19 PM
(Oh wait! Is streaming ads less intensive for the server than streaming videos?)It's not intensive, at all. It's actually profitable. Every ad you see means money for them. I'm quite certain they are making more per ad than it's costing them to handle the increased bandwidth.

What you don't seem to be getting is the fact that we, as Comcast subscribers do not get too many ads from the web site. The reason we don't is because you do. You suffer and we are accomodated better... this is, of course, because we are subscribed to their other services.

maxorator
03-05-2009, 03:00 PM
What you don't seem to be getting is the fact that we, as Comcast subscribers do not get too many ads from the web site. The reason we don't is because you do. You suffer and we are accomodated better... this is, of course, because we are subscribed to their other services.
You forgot the little fact that we only get ads. That means that we never return to the site after we've been annoyed by them.

SlyMaelstrom
03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
You forgot the little fact that we only get ads. That means that we never return to the site after we've been annoyed by them.No, I didn't. That's the point. We, the valued consumers, get the site ad-free (or close to it) because you, the non-consumer, gets hit with ads and only ads. The more ads you watch waiting for the video to come up (even though you can clearly see in the XML that you'll never watch it), the more they can provide to us for free.

The concept is simple, that particular website is for people in the Comcast subscriber regions only. Instead of simply not allowing you to see the site, they decided to make some money by giving you ads and only ads. Kind of a lame business practice, but I'm not complaining.

anon
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
That means that we never return to the site after we've been annoyed by them.

They have already affected your subconsciousness to buy the thing.

But then, what if someone within the region happens to go outside of it for a while?...

cpjust
03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
They have already affected your subconsciousness to buy the thing.

But then, what if someone within the region happens to go outside of it for a while?...

What if the person watching it doesn't even understand English very well or the thing they're selling isn't available in their country? I think the advertisers are getting ripped off.

ಠ_ಠ
03-05-2009, 04:16 PM
like if you live and china and one of the advertisements is for a mail order bride?

abachler
03-05-2009, 06:15 PM
The concept is simple, that particular website is for people in the Comcast subscriber regions only. Instead of simply not allowing you to see the site, they decided to make some money by giving you ads and only ads. Kind of a lame business practice, but I'm not complaining.

Except it causes them to lose potential customers. It doesn't come across as 'ads and only ads for non-customers' it comes across as poorly written scripting and broken links, which usually means I never return to that site, let alone become a customer.

VirtualAce
03-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Sorry I did not realize the news was only for Comcast subscribers.

You can google it though as there are plenty more stories about it...and better ones to boot.

SlyMaelstrom
03-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Except it causes them to lose potential customers. It doesn't come across as 'ads and only ads for non-customers' it comes across as poorly written scripting and broken links, which usually means I never return to that site, let alone become a customer.And if it did come across as ads for non-customers, you'd return to the site? The idea is that you don't return to the site. Why would you? You're not getting the content no matter why you think you don't. The point is that while they got you, they're making some money off of you. You only need to see an ad once to decide whether or not you want to buy it.

cpjust
03-06-2009, 11:37 PM
And if it did come across as ads for non-customers, you'd return to the site? The idea is that you don't return to the site. Why would you? You're not getting the content no matter why you think you don't. The point is that while they got you, they're making some money off of you. You only need to see an ad once to decide whether or not you want to buy it.

Yeah, that's assuming we're actually paying attention to the ads.
I'm sure most people are so used to seeing commercials & ads everywhere that they're immune to them and their brains don't even notice them anymore.