PDA

View Full Version : Processing both I/O and timed events

drunken_scot
02-23-2009, 10:58 PM
I have some aspirations of one day programming a MUD engine, and I will need to be able to handle both user I/O and timed events. I have written a little program that uses SIGALRM to update the time. I am wondering if I have a sensible "architecture" for the program, given that global variables should generally be avoided. The program is:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <unistd.h>

volatile unsigned int alarmTrig;

static void alrmHandler(int x) //indicates alarm triggered and resets same
{
alarmTrig = 1;
alarm(1);
return;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
struct sigaction theHandler; //sigaction struct
char inpChar;
int i, bytesRead = 0;
sigset_t emptyMask;

sigemptyset(&emptyMask);
theHandler.sa_handler = alrmHandler;
theHandler.sa_mask = emptyMask; //nothing special
theHandler.sa_flags = 0; //nothing special here
theHandler.sa_restorer = NULL; //option obsolete

sigaction(SIGALRM, &theHandler, NULL);
alarmTrig=0;

alarm(1);
for(i=0; i<20; i++)
{
while(alarmTrig == 0)
{
bytesRead = fread(&inpChar, 1, 1, stdin);
if(bytesRead == 1)
{
printf("You entered %c.\n",inpChar);
}
}
if (alarmTrig == 1)
{
alarmTrig=0;
printf("%d seconds have gone by.\n",i);
alarm(1);
}
}

return 0;
}

Ignoring for now that I do not continually flush the input buffer, is this a reasonable approach, with the alarm handler setting a global variable? Thank you.

Codeplug
02-23-2009, 11:26 PM
>> ... given that global variables should generally be avoided.
There are still times when they're needed.

>> ... is this a reasonable approach, with the alarm handler setting a global variable?
Yes - It's an ideal signal handler in general. However, global should be of type "volatile sig_atomic_t".

gg

Salem
02-23-2009, 11:52 PM
The select() system call with a timeout allows you to monitor i/o for activity, and allows you to observe the passage of time.

drunken_scot
02-24-2009, 01:02 AM
>>
>> ... is this a reasonable approach, with the alarm handler setting a global variable?
Yes - It's an ideal signal handler in general. However, global should be of type "volatile sig_atomic_t".

gg

Thanks. It's nice to know that my microcontroller work is applicable to a computer system.

I was looking up sig_atomic_t, and it appears to be typedefed int, with its typedef being performed between

__BEGIN_NAMESPACE_STD

and

__END_NAMESPACE_STD

in <signal.h>. This ensures that changes are atomic. I have tried to find these in gcc's info file, but have not found them. What section would these be under? Thank you again.

drunken_scot
02-24-2009, 01:09 AM
The select() system call with a timeout allows you to monitor i/o for activity, and allows you to observe the passage of time.

Thanks. I knew Python had something similar for serial ports, but I had forgotten about select's timeout.

matsp
02-24-2009, 03:21 AM
Thanks. It's nice to know that my microcontroller work is applicable to a computer system.

I was looking up sig_atomic_t, and it appears to be typedefed int, with its typedef being performed between

__BEGIN_NAMESPACE_STD

and

__END_NAMESPACE_STD

in <signal.h>. This ensures that changes are atomic. I have tried to find these in gcc's info file, but have not found them. What section would these be under? Thank you again.

If you are asking what __BEGIN/__END_NAMESPAC_STD does, then that's for when you use <csignal> in C++, which included <signal.h>.

The point is that sig_atomic_t is GUARANTEED to be of a type that can be accessed as a single operation, which is not guaranteed [but still possible] about other types such as int or long. [It happens that the C runtime for this environment KNOWS that int is OK for this purpose, but it's not necessarily the case for another environment].

The select() solution is definitely one worth looking at.

--
Mats

drunken_scot
02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
If you are asking what __BEGIN/__END_NAMESPAC_STD does, then that's for when you use <csignal> in C++, which included <signal.h>.

That makes sense. Thanks.