PDA

View Full Version : WHat kind of programmer are you?

Nutshell
02-17-2002, 02:19 AM
WHat kind of programmer are you?

tim545666
02-17-2002, 02:22 AM
Where's "A bad one"?

Nutshell
02-17-2002, 02:26 AM
Will ppl vote for that one?

Govtcheez
02-17-2002, 09:43 AM
> Where's "A bad one"?

LOL! :D

I'm the programmer (not lucky) who's programs for a living and occasionally writes programs at home...

adrianxw
02-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Where is the button for "Professional software engineer 9:00 - 5:00, it's just a job"?

doubleanti
02-17-2002, 12:06 PM
haha... okay...

so... where's the button for
DOS 6.22 [R]evolutionist who splatters you all with tech visions and y's in place of i's?

adrianxw
02-17-2002, 12:17 PM
My question was at least semi serious.

From the wording of the question, one could get the feeling that programming is a "dream job". I feel it is important for some of the younger members to point out, that, like anything you are being paid for, it rapidly becomes - "just a job". When you are programming for fun, you can play with all kinds of things you like doing. When you do it for a living, you do what your customers want, and that is very rarely anything like so interesting. Believe it or not, many of you will get bored as professional programmers.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad, but this idealistic image that people have of full time paid programming is just unrealistic.

doubleanti
02-17-2002, 12:26 PM
>you do what your customers want

hey i agree... hmm... that's why i'm not going to do CS as my major... rather electrical engineering... well i guess _any_ job ends up being a _job_ but... it'll get me the money i need to do whatever i want... fun peace, more fish, and relaxation... y'know?

Xterria
02-17-2002, 01:03 PM
yup...im the wannabe

ober
02-17-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by adrianxw
Mine question was at least semi serious.

From the wording of the question, one could get the feeling that programming is a "dream job". I feel it is important for some of the younger members to point out, that, like anyhting you are being paid for, it rapidly becomes - "just a job". When you are programming for fun, you can play with all kinds of things you like doing. When you do it for a living, you do what your customers want, and that is very rarely anything like so interesting. Believe it or not, many of you will get bored as professional programmers.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad, but this ideal that people have of full time paid programming is just unrealistic.

I agree completely... granted, I'm fairly new to the whole programming lifestyle (meaning < 4 yrs experience) but it does become something you do to make a living and that's it.. I still goof around at home sometimes, but it's rare. :(

Betazep
02-17-2002, 02:22 PM
I program to get chicks. ;)

ober
02-17-2002, 02:31 PM
LOL... good one betazep...

sooo... tell me, are you Bi? :D

I program to ... ok, so it's a job... it's certainly not getting me any chicks.. but if anyone is interested.. maybe they could write a program that finds chicks that like:

1) Computer nerd
2) Addict to video games
3) Fairly anti-social until rather intoxicated
4) ... ok, I guess I really don't need this since I have a girlfriend... ;)

Prelude
02-17-2002, 02:39 PM
I program for a living and in my opinion the idea that newer people have is correct. Every day is a challenge (more or less), and while it may be dull with certain aspects it's still fun. :)

That's probably why I code at work and when I get off as well.

>I program to get chicks.
I program to stay away from people like that :rolleyes:

>1) Computer nerd
>2) Addict to video games
>3) Fairly anti-social until rather intoxicated
Should I be worried that I fit all of these perfectly? I assume I'd be social when intoxicated but I don't know since I don't drink.

-Prelude

Betazep
02-17-2002, 02:47 PM
>>>>I program to get chicks.
>>>>I program to stay away from people like that

you are not very quick to take a joke, huh? :(

Lighten up...

>>>sooo... tell me, are you Bi?

Nope... but you are kinda sexy. ;)

Prelude
02-17-2002, 02:55 PM
Darn, I thought my creative use of a smiley showed that I too was joking in response :(

-Prelude

Betazep
02-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Doh... sorry Prelude. No hard feelings then. That smiley is called roll eyes (sarcastic).... so I just figured....

Seriously... my apologies.

-KEN-
02-17-2002, 03:07 PM
>>Should I be worried that I fit all of these perfectly?

Probably...

>>since I don't drink.

I program to stay away from people like THAT...:p

ober
02-17-2002, 03:24 PM
Nope... but you are kinda sexy. :)

Ya think so huh? :D And just how would you know? (unless you went to my website... and even those pictures are shabby at best) lol...

Should I be worried that I fit all of these perfectly?

Sooo... Prelude... whatcha doin tonite? :D

damn i sound like a pathetic, swindeling bastard... I'm just havin fun tho, honest..

doubleanti
02-17-2002, 10:38 PM
>I program to stay away from people like that

i program to stay away from people who aren't as weird as me... having that predisposition to logik is a must to fit in my book...

and, don't drink and drive... you might spill your drink...

ober
02-17-2002, 10:52 PM
you might spill your drink...

:eek: That's alcohol abuse! I'll report you if i ever find out! :D

Unregistered
02-18-2002, 12:49 AM
I work all day as a UNIX sys admin.. but code all night and weekend to get a job as a games programmer. Unfortunately I tend to do a little to much "market research" and not enough hard work..

But I figure times running out so I better get a move on. I'm 25 and I suspect that most of the junior game coders are.. junior??

As for personality - well, I know all there is to know about Star Wars, Doctor Who, Anime and read Slashdot religiously.. Any questions? :)

Oh, and my girlfriend dumped me cos I spent to much coding and not enough time with her! *laughs*

Jokes on her, I got ADSL.

foniks munkee
02-18-2002, 12:52 AM
D'oh! This is the last time I post from work I keep forgetting to log in! Ok - that was me, the loser *NIX admin! :)

adrianxw
02-18-2002, 03:21 AM
Prelude:

>>> That's probably why I code at work and when I get off as well.

Okay, but do you code up the same kind of stuff for fun as you do for work?

Prelude
02-18-2002, 11:13 AM
>Seriously... my apologies.
No need, I just picked an inappropriate smiley ;)

>I program to stay away from people like THAT
Not drinking IS pretty rare, I'll give you that

>Sooo... Prelude... whatcha doin tonite?
I'm going to get home and exercise for about an hour or two then sit down at my computer, turn on the television, and fiddle with some programs while simultaneously answering questions on Cprogramming.com :D

>i program to stay away from people who aren't as weird as me
You picked the wrong field then, everyone I work with is as weird as I am.

>Okay, but do you code up the same kind of stuff for fun as you do for work?
Hardly, programs I write at home tend more towards toy programs to figure out the nuances of the language I want to learn more about, or instructional programs to teach myself a new language or aspect of a language. When I'm not teaching myself new things I code programs that do something interesting or neat to hone my skills.

I also use my off-time to enter contests and such because those are excellent ways to practice and flex your creativity. Generally, what I do at work is rather boring routine maintenance or writing business type systems programs and updating current programs. *yawn*

-Prelude

adrianxw
02-18-2002, 12:31 PM
>>> *yawn*

Yup, my point exactly.

ygfperson
02-19-2002, 01:45 PM
for me programming is only a job. but at the same time i visit cprogramming.com's general forum and vote in its polls. yep. just a job. :o :p

if you believe that, you might wanna meet my son-in-law, dick cheney...

Fordy
02-19-2002, 02:01 PM
Personally, I code for challenge/fun....I dont work in an IT job. I like programming as a hobby that keeps my mind focused and allows me to push my mental abilities as far as I can........

One day I would like a job in the IT industry, but time works against me........I have had my degree and so cannot easily go in for more education without shelling out loads of cash........also, I am reasonally setup in my current career (well ticking by anyway ;))

Prelude:
Not drinking IS pretty rare, I'll give you that

Not totally. I took a concious decision 6 months ago to cut out alcohol completely. I had enough of making a fool out of myself, having hangovers that lasted over 24 hours, waking up from parties with broken limbs and relying on something to alow me to enjoy myself. Also having a liver scare 2 years ago at the age of 23 was a good indication that I had to knock it on the head for a while.

doubleanti
02-19-2002, 02:11 PM
which is why i don't start in the first place. all my highs are natural, and am i any different from you girls/guys? [and don't beg to differ in the middle of my point, tis a sharp one...] note to self: don't drink, get natural highs./endknote...

iain
02-26-2002, 09:24 AM
what kind of programmer are you?

a highly stressed frustrated one - is there any other kind?

phantom
02-26-2002, 05:57 PM
I got my current girlfriend before I learnt programming :)

What kind of programmer am I? One that is desperately trying to get a programming job while being unemployed :( Anyone in Australia know of a job going?

dirkduck
02-26-2002, 06:04 PM
"I program to get chicks."

actually, my last girlfriend noticed i was on the computer a lot...she finally got it out of me that i programmed, and thought it was cool. she even wanted me to teach her how to (showded her some with good ol' Qbasic)...but then a few weeks ago she broke up with me...urg