PDA

View Full Version : How those people write books?

Nutshell
02-16-2002, 08:51 PM
Hi,

There are many books written concerning subjects about programming and operating systems (e.g. windows ). But how did those people write them? Take the book Inside Windows 2000 as an example, did the author read the source of win2k? Or did he try everything possible under the os? How does he know how it works and what's inside? Reverse-engineering again?

thnx

DavidP
02-16-2002, 10:07 PM
Two ways:

A. they have insiders and can get stuff early...and once they get it they have no lives and spend 10 trillion years learning it and writing a book about it

B. little magical fairies come and whisper things in their ears like, "Write a book on DX", "The clock ticks of funcion X is Y", and "Burn them all!!!"

taylorguitarman
02-16-2002, 11:21 PM
Project documentation is probably a large source of information. MS doesn't just say "hey, let's make an OS" (although it may seem that way). There is a great deal of planning and documentation that goes along with it. Plus, it's usually not just one guy who writes the books, there is usually help from many other people who contribute smaller pieces and the editor gets most of the credit. That and technology tends to build on itself so many of the concepts are similar.

Fordy
02-17-2002, 04:44 AM
>>Take the book Inside Windows 2000 as an example, did the author read the source of win2k? Or did he try everything possible under the os?

One of the authors (David Solomon) had access to the Windows 2000 source code.........as well as that he was something of a NTHacker before that book.......So I guess it was a bit of both

Nutshell
02-17-2002, 05:05 AM
Ah......so the source is not closed after all. NT-Hacker, cool.

Fordy
02-17-2002, 05:24 AM
Oh yes it most certainly is closed........Solomon had special permission........

......And the fact that he was writing a M$Press published book probably helped ;)

Nutshell
02-17-2002, 06:43 AM
I see. So microsoft actually lets authors of books to view the source so more ppl can know more about windows...

Govtcheez
02-17-2002, 09:37 AM
>So microsoft actually lets authors of books to view the source

Well, since a lot of the books (like Solomon's and Petzold's) are actually published by MS, yes.

Bobish
02-18-2002, 12:11 AM
I figgure they just take what they know and through in a bunch of stuff about startrek

Troll_King
02-18-2002, 06:22 AM
If you get the book than the authors tell you about their involvment with Win2k, their research, and their background. This is in the preface I believe.