PDA

View Full Version : Making the Dihydrogen Oxide work for you.

sean
02-15-2002, 08:32 PM
Did you know, someone wrote a letter to congress (this was during the Clint*n administration) asking them to ban the use of Dihydrogen oxide because it was the number four cause of death in America. It made it all the way to the President before someone realized the following: Dihydrogen oxide is actually Ancient Geek for water (typo intended), and the number four cause of death in America is drowning. Are we getting dumber?

gnu-ehacks
02-15-2002, 08:36 PM
Hmm...I guess this means that there was almost a ban on water...Imagine what would happen.

bobish
02-15-2002, 08:55 PM
im sure that the number one cause of death would become "dihydrogen oxide defeciency pretty quickly" of corse most people call it water or H2O of they want to sound scientific but Dihydrogen Oxide but still its pretty clear what is ment by the name but most people have no knoledge in any area other then their profession.

Yoshi
02-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Dihydrogen oxide is actually Ancient Geek for water

It is not hydrogen hydroxide?

dihydrogen oxide the chemical name, mind you. (H20)

Govtcheez
02-16-2002, 07:31 AM
> It is not hydrogen hydroxide

I don't think so, because the OH isn't grouped like a normal hydroxide group (I think)

boingy_man
02-16-2002, 04:43 PM
Someone at my school did something like this,

He put signs on every water fountain saying:

WARNING: The school water suppy has been contaiminated by Dihydrol oxide acid.

Well he managed to totally freak out quite a few sophmores (many of whom were taking chemistry) and send the Dean of students to the head physics teachers asking what the sign was. The teacher replied "Funny!"