PDA

View Full Version : Silly question :D

audinue
12-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Sorry, I have to ask this English thing...

What is the different between motion and movement?

Both of them has the same meaning in my dictionary...

Why MouseMotionListener instead of MouseMovementListener??

I hate Java, but I've been forced to use it. My teacher don't understand C++! xD

maxorator
12-31-2008, 05:38 AM
English is not my native language, but I think MouseMotionListener sounds a bit less clumsy.

Elysia
12-31-2008, 05:46 AM
I believe movement is when something moves from one place to another. However, motion is a series of movements.
Usually, we might say the mouse moves, but what you are doing is motion, not movement.
That is how I see it, anyway.

audinue
12-31-2008, 07:28 AM
Wikipedia said:

"Motion (physics), any physical movement or change in position or place"

So motion is part of movement?

But, Wikipedia said:

A movement is a motion, a change in position. Movement can also refer to: ...

So movement is part of motion, huh?

Or movement is motion and motion is movement?

What the...

if(movement == motion) {
"Move! Move! She is gonna blow!" == "Motion! Motion! She is gonna blow!" ? LOL : ??
}

Elysia
12-31-2008, 07:34 AM
I interpret it as:
Motion is part of a movement (physical or otherwise). If there a movement, there must be motion, or the movement cannot be.

indigo0086
12-31-2008, 07:41 AM
I don't know the semantic difference, but it's part of the API, use MouseMotionListener.

audinue
12-31-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't know the semantic difference, but it's part of the API, use MouseMotionListener.

Yeah. I currently playing around with Java's Swing and Java2D, because I have to create a game for my exam.

And I was surprised with their way to manipulating Graphics, quite fun and simple, instead of .NET's way, and its performance still have no harm (except its first startup time).

CornedBee
12-31-2008, 08:16 AM
How about, they're synonyms, so the API designers chose the shorter word?

twomers
12-31-2008, 08:33 AM
I'd've called it MouseMotionMonitor, but that's just cause I like using literary techniques in my programming as often as possible.

Elysia
12-31-2008, 08:39 AM
I would have called it MouseMovementMonitor, because we talk about mouse movement, usually, not mouse motion.

CornedBee
12-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Now you've got to define the difference, though.

brewbuck
12-31-2008, 11:49 AM
I've seldom seen somebody so stymied by synonyms.

lruc
12-31-2008, 12:37 PM
I've seldom seen somebody so stymied by synonyms.

Nice way to put it. In your native language do you do the same thing? I can't imagine yours has any less synonyms than English. English spelling is the most upsetting to me.

SlyMaelstrom
12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
lruc, I wouldn't take it as literally as you did. I believe brewbuck was just trying to show off his mad alliteration skills to all of us. That said, from other languages that I've experienced, I'd say English falls pretty low on the synonym count. In some European languages that a know a bit of, it seems as though there are 5-10 ways to say any single word. This could just appear this way due to my perspective though.

lruc
12-31-2008, 01:31 PM
lruc, I wouldn't take it as literally as you did. I believe brewbuck was just trying to show off his mad alliteration skills to all of us. That said, from other languages that I've experienced, I'd say English falls pretty low on the synonym count. In some European languages that a know a bit of, it seems as though there are 5-10 ways to say any single word. This could just appear this way due to my perspective though.

I think you took my post more literally than I had intended. I didn't mean it to be harsh. In fact I was actually asking how much worse his language was than English. I hate how it's hard to tell opinion with plain text!

audinue
12-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey, hey, no language was bad at all. All of them are good so that people using them. They are just a communication tool.

Sometime we just find a difficulties while learning a foreign language, it feels bad because we don't know its meaning at all.

xD

shoutatchickens
12-31-2008, 03:48 PM
If it's not too late for the semantics debate:

Movement is an action of an object.
Motion is a state of an object.

Some thing can move. If it moves then it is in motion.

audinue
12-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Movement is verb.
Motion is adjective.

Isn't it?

shoutatchickens
12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Actually I think they'd both be verbs. But, English being my primary language just about guarantees I don't know it as well as you do ^_^

abachler
12-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry, I have to ask this English thing...

What is the different between motion and movement?

Both of them has the same meaning in my dictionary...

Why MouseMotionListener instead of MouseMovementListener??

I hate Java, but I've been forced to use it. My teacher don't understand C++! xD

The difference between kinetic and potential energy.

Movement indicates that motion has occured at some point, motion indicates that movement is occuring at that time. At least that is what is implied. The specific functions may not necessarily follow that. Of course the original decision to name the function could have any number of reasons, they might have already had an internal library that used mousemovementlistener.

brewbuck
12-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Movement is verb.
Motion is adjective.

Isn't it?

They are both nouns.