PDA

View Full Version : what genre\album\artist you listen to when programming?

kypronite
12-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Hey,I'm just curious what genre\artist you listen to the most when programming.
I really can't stand dead silence,time seem to pass very slowly.
I listen to 80's stuff but mostly pop,no heavy metal for me :p,that really give me a headache lol.

SlyMaelstrom
12-07-2008, 05:31 AM
I don't listen to music when I'm programming. It normally would disrupt my thinking.

Dino
12-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Believe or not, Rock and Roll. Favorite Artist, hands down, Led Zepplin. Even better with headphones.

lruc
12-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Pink Floyd is the best.

PING
12-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Melodic Death Metal, Thrash Metal, some 80's stuff.

Akkernight
12-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Metal! Metallica, Ozzy, mostly ^^ Metallica are my favorites tho ;) Sometimes I just listen to random stuff too ;) and music sometimes interupts my coding, but tha's mainly because I'm not up for coding at that moment, but force myself ;)

CornedBee
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Absolutely everything. I randomize through my entire collection, and it contains everything from classic to pop to metal to jazz to new age to movie scores.

C_ntua
12-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Same here. I listen to music when I do something interesting but not something that needs intensive concentration. So programming fits for music.

Genre: almost everything. Not mainstream, no disco (yach) and no cheap-wanabe-music.
Favorite artist: I m with Dino. Hands down, Led Zeppelin

jwenting
12-07-2008, 01:13 PM
anything from Bach organ cantates to Rush, from folk to Britpop.

But no rap, house, hip hop, and other poor attempts to make lack of musical talent sound like music.

Thantos
12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
At home: nothing
At work/school: everything

mike_g
12-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Wizzy Noise (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OgeCRnOLvkE)

Daved
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Mostly hip-hop and rap, although I have many songs outside those genres that are on my playlist.

The playlist changes all the time, but this is a relatively old one I have at my office that I still play when I remember:

Artist - Song (# times repeated in the random list)

BJ Thomas - Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head (1)
Blackstreet - No Diggity (1)
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart (2)
Eminem - Lose Yourself (3)
Gary Glitter - Rock and Roll Part 2 (2)
Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (4)
Gnarls Barkley - Smiley Faces (1)
Kanye West - Flashing Lights (5)
Kanye West - Gold Digger (3)
Kanye West - Gone (2)
Kanye West - Jesus Walks (5)
Kanye West - Stronger (4)
Lupe Fiasco - Daydream (3)
Lupe Fiasco - Superstar (5)
Mos Def - Sex, Love and Money (2)
Outkast - I Love the Way You Move (3)
Paul Simon - You Can Call Me All (1)
Roy Orbison - Oh Pretty Woman (2)
Snoop Dogg - Beautiful (3)
Tony Toni Tone - It Feels Good (1)

whiteflags
12-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Metal! Metallica, Ozzy, mostly ^^ Metallica are my favorites tho ;) Sometimes I just listen to random stuff too ;) and music sometimes interupts my coding, but tha's mainly because I'm not up for coding at that moment, but force myself ;)

I don't listen to too much metal but Metallica was way better with some of their older stuff than they are now. I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan, though.

I only listen to music while programming if I'm doing something boring. At other times my brain is far too busy to enjoy it. I'd rather be able to listen than not, anyway. Other examples include Nox Arcana, Jethro Tull, daft punk and various pop artists. Soundtracks can be nice too.

cyberfish
12-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Anything except pop.

classical, impressionist, romantic, baroque... (no modern as well).

Yarin
12-09-2008, 09:50 AM
New age and classical. I like other types of music too, but those are the only kinds that don't eat up my attention, actually, they help me to concentrate on coding.

Akkernight
12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't listen to too much metal but Metallica was way better with some of their older stuff than they are now. I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan, though.

I only listen to music while programming if I'm doing something boring. At other times my brain is far too busy to enjoy it. I'd rather be able to listen than not, anyway. Other examples include Nox Arcana, Jethro Tull, daft punk and various pop artists. Soundtracks can be nice too.

Yeah, they changed their genre when Cliff Burton died :P or about that time ;) But I like it all! From Kill 'em All to Death Magnetic ^^
But I recommend everyone to listen to the old Ozzy ;) found one old album of his, and decided to listen, and it rules! ^^ It's called Speak of the Devil, not the oldest, but it's before the drugs destroyed him :P I recomend everyone to listen to some songs from there ;)

MattW
12-09-2008, 02:08 PM
While programming I like listening to the somber sounds of celtic music. Or heavy metal. But I that is Just me.

abachler
12-09-2008, 03:04 PM
It depends on te type of programmign I'm doing. If im generating the code as I type I choose dead silence, nothing to interfere with the creative process. If I'm just coding a solution i worked out earlier (essentialy just data entry) then its one of -

Classic (Bach , Beethoven , Brahms , Tchaikovsky , Mozart , etc.)
Opera (Aida is my favorite).
Heavy Metal (Metallica, Ozzy, Scorpions, etc.)
Classic/Southern Rock (Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR, REO, etc.)
Folk (Simon and Garfunkle, etc.)
Bluegrass
Blues (not jazz)