PDA

View Full Version : LaTeX

master5001
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
It wouldn't hurt for the boards to support LaTeX syntax. To be honest, it really would clean up a lot of explanations. I did do some reading up on the vBulletin LaTeX hack and came across this (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=8997). I don't know what version the boards currently run. Just a thought to throw into the "Kermi doesn't give a damn" pile.

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) is a brief overview... since someone already voted no. Which I think I could already tell you who that was--Yep. It was who I thought it was.

CornedBee
10-20-2008, 02:54 PM
This is vBulletin, not phpBB.

There's a LaTeX hack for vBulletin too, but I'm not certain about its quality.

master5001
10-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Murphy's law even applies to internet activities... Even if you explain what something is and the benefit of a feature, someone will still always vote for "I don't know what that is."

I also added links and investigated the hack you refered to, CornedBee. Thanks for the info. I am actually posting a serious agument for once.

whiteflags
10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Why should my not knowing what LaTex is count as an affirmative vote?

Perspective
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Latex (and beamer) is easily the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't see how it would help out here.

tabstop
10-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Latex (and beamer) is easily the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't see how it would help out here.

\begin algorithm might be nice. Occasionally some algorithm analysis students wander in. And there's all those people with formulas for \pi....

master5001
10-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Why should my not knowing what LaTex is count as an affirmative vote?

Because I am a bad, bad man.

bertazoid
10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Hell yeah, implement LaTeX. I'm sure it could find some uses.

master5001
10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I am hoping that at the very least it will create enough public interest to maybe get Kermi to start adding support. But I am willing to let the chips fall where they may. It would be nice, but my world won't crumble if we cannot have it.

Daved
10-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure that kermi3 is in charge of this kind of thing, anyway. If webmaster finds time to make changes to the site, there are a few other things that might be worth his time over adding LaTeX. For example, fixing the broken user profiles might be a good start. I'd prefer a cprog sponsored wiki faq over this as well.

master5001
10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Ditto. But lets not clutter my thread with a brief prioritized bug report. That is highly likely to shatter my dreams.

Thantos
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't see how your sexual fetish involving latex would improve the board.

robwhit
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Could you use Unicode to do this?

master5001
10-20-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't see how your sexual fetish involving latex would improve the board.

Never underestimate my love of modern synthetic materials. Its epic.

Could you use Unicode to do this?

Yep. Lets not even get into my sexual fetishes involving Unicode and ASCII characters.... That is a whole different website.

robwhit
10-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Yep. Lets not even get into my sexual fetishes involving Unicode and ASCII characters.... That is a whole different website.I didn't see Thantos' reply when I posted that... it was just a happy coincidence.

Great, so if Unicode can do it, let's just use that. It doesn't need much if any changes to the board, and I think it would put less stress on the severs, not being pictures, so why not?

robwhit
10-20-2008, 06:32 PM
> It doesn't need much if any changes to the board

actually that was just pure speculation.

master5001
10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Agreed. As Daved pointed out though, it seems like a rather low priority addition to the site. Nevertheless when people start up with new ideas some of the old bugs miraculously start getting fixed up. Which really would be a miracle in this case because the server has so many users, threads and posts, its volatile to start tempting fate.

SlyMaelstrom
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I am generally not a fan of adding hacks to a forum unless extremely necessary. They almost always lead to more vulnerabilities and a greater risk for the forum getting hacked (as it has in the past). How much would we be using LaTeX in this forum that it's worth the risk of making the board less secure?

master5001
10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Jesus, Mr. Wet Blanket, you make everything sound like such a bummer. Its not a terribly important thing. Its just something that is very handy to have in those instances where it might be helpful. Such as explaining an equation.

robwhit
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Can anybody point out a thread where using Latex or Unicode would have been really useful?

SlyMaelstrom
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Can anybody point out a thread where using Latex or Unicode would have been really useful?I couldn't... but I'm not exactly Rainman with the posts on this forum ("Definitely thread #21452... definitely").

I personally would rank the need for a LaTeX hack on a programming forum lower than average. I mean... most of us know how to program here... in one or more of the languages specific to the forum. Most mathematical concepts can be explained through code more clearly to a broader audience than I think LaTeX even could.

I'm not against LaTeX... it serves a good purpose in the right audience but I think on this forum it wouldn't amount to anything more than a fashion accessory.

Excuse my bluntness and pessimism.

master5001
10-20-2008, 07:32 PM
108311 (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=108311) Definitely 108311....

I should have worded the No more ambiguously too... just like the "What is LaTeX"

master5001
10-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Lol... Moderator, can you change "No" to "No, I have no problem with LaTeX"

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

whiteflags
10-20-2008, 07:42 PM
And the last example of a math question was likely this and that was almost two months ago. Nobody seemed confused by the answer. I will now wait for master5001 to find the most obscure and ugly thread just to spite me in jest. :p

If we discussed math more often, then my answer is a resounding maybe, but we don't. This isn't the most off the wall suggestion either, so I'm gonna thank him for trying.

Seems like everything that could have been said, has been said, though.

SlyMaelstrom
10-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Lol... Moderator, can you change "No" to "No, I have no problem with LaTeX"I suppose that would help any reader who's attention span is too short to read the thread beyond the poll itself. Maybe we should also change "Yes" to "Yes... security, schm-ecurity! I want fancy symbols!"

master5001
10-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Lol! That sounds like a fair trade.

master5001
10-20-2008, 07:52 PM
And the last example of a math question was likely this and that was almost two months ago. Nobody seemed confused by the answer. I will now wait for master5001 to find the most obscure and ugly thread just to spite me in jest. :p

If we discussed math more often, then my answer is a resounding maybe, but we don't. This isn't the most off the wall suggestion either, so I'm gonna thank him for trying.

Seems like everything that could have been said, has been said, though.

Just you wait and see what I can dig up when I don't have class in a few minutes. Mark my words it will be good. In fact, I can promise you one whether I find it in the dregs of a 7 year old thread OR I have to write it myself.

Raigne
10-20-2008, 08:36 PM
>> I have to write it myself.

Wouldn't that kinda be cheating since it was non-existent prior to the creation of this poll.

Mario F.
10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I vote NO!
... oops. I wanted to say, yes.
Damn democracy!

master5001
10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
>> If we discussed math more often, then my answer is a resounding maybe, but we don't. This isn't the most off the wall suggestion either, so I'm gonna thank him for trying. <<

That was a precious gem you dug up there, Citizen.

Well I came up dry searching through all 102,694 posts currently on the boards... I mean nothing that really seems to truly demand it. Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps we don't do a lot of mathematical discussion because we completely lack LaTeX and therefore can't?

CornedBee
10-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps we don't do a lot of mathematical discussion because we completely lack LaTeX and therefore can't?
Now that's just nonsense. Lack of graphical formulas may make mathematical discussion somewhat cumbersome, but to say that without LaTeX we're completely unable to discuss math is absurd.

Mario F.
10-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps we don't do a lot of mathematical discussion because we completely lack LaTeX and therefore can't?

Err... no, master5001.
Wouldn't ever occur to me because we don't need latex to discuss maths. That just doesn't make sense. It's true that lacking a way to express the notation is a bummer. But mathematics can be - and has been - discussed on these boards without having to learn a (I'm sorry to say) needlessly complex syntax.

Besides, if the need arises you can always discuss your maths with the help of latex using tools such as these (http://thornahawk.unitedti.org/equationeditor/equationeditor.php), or simply post the markup on the forums and let anyone who's interested in replying to copy-paste to their editor.

master5001
10-23-2008, 03:07 PM
>> Lack of graphical formulas may make mathematical discussion somewhat cumbersome, but to say that without LaTeX we're completely unable to discuss math is absurd. <<

Now how can you be absolutely sure of this fact? I mean obviously we will never know until we add LaTeX support, now will we.

CornedBee
10-23-2008, 03:09 PM
You mean, if we added a markup language for cat macros, we'd be discussing the private lives of movie stars?

master5001
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh come on now. Surely my circular logic is transparent enough for you to see through. I am just trying to stick to my guns here. It was my thread afterall. I can't abandon ship mid-stream.

Mario F.
10-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Well, in that case I return your question to you?
How can you be sure it's needed when in fact mathematics has been discussed on these forums without it and, as I said and you chose to ignore, you can post the markeup

EDITOR REVIEW: which means evidence points to the fact we don't need latex support.

master5001
10-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Can I answer your question with another question?

Hmmm... How lofty of me, it seems I already have.

master5001
10-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Alright.. I will be serious for once: Its a low priority need, I will acknowledge that right up front. And even in terms of low priority needs, its a rarely used or necessary extention. So your points are valid, Mario. One could just do as you suggested. As far as I am concerned, we have lived our lives a long time without the existance of LaTeX or its kin on the forum.

I know that a lot of common forum extentions are not used here to preserve the security of the forum. In the big picture, that is definitely a very important part of the forum.

Mario F.
10-23-2008, 03:39 PM
To be honest my argumentation derives mostly from the experience that rarely, very rarely, a one-man suggestion meets the needs of the community. What happens mostly is that we think we have a good idea, it is in fact generally speaking a good idea (have I something against latex support? 'course not!), but the fact it doesn't exist yet is because it's not really needed.

Usually the process of implementing new features happens more naturally and involves a lot of people screaming for it, or no one does and some day the feature just pops up and people start to use it because it's there and the admins thought it cool.

Not to say one shouldn't suggest. By all means, do. But saying it's pointless to argue ;)

master5001
10-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Which is why I make such obviously convoluted arguments. I can't disagree with you on that one, Mario. I can't disagree at all. I know it comes up from time to time, but its occurance is rather few and far between.

master5001
10-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Is this (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=94192) an elaborate ploy to eliminate any threads that could be used to demonstrate a need for LaTeX on the forum? You be the judge.

(lol... I know... I am grabbing at straws now. Sue me)

abachler
10-24-2008, 02:51 PM
If it comes down to it, there are applications out there that ca geenrate an image of the formula, then you can post the image to the forum. Problem solved, without buggering up the security.

master5001
10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Well I appreciate your no vote... *grumbles*

master5001
10-27-2008, 03:34 PM
After carefully tabulating the results of this poll I have discovered that Floridians still do not know how to vote! Though I guess if you take it at face value the poll is inconclusive. But if you take it seriously, "no" seems to be the opinion of the people.

Akkernight
10-27-2008, 05:47 PM
I would vote yes, 'cause I like the name of the thing, but I have no idea what it is, or why you people wanna discuss math!? Ain't the school enough? :P
I try ignoring math as much as possible outside school, that's why I have 'em friends who like to calculate the angle from them and to the moon... :P

Thantos
10-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I would vote yes, 'cause I like the name of the thing, but I have no idea what it is, or why you people wanna discuss math!? Ain't the school enough? :P
I try ignoring math as much as possible outside school, that's why I have 'em friends who like to calculate the angle from them and to the moon... :P
You are in the wrong field then.

SlyMaelstrom
10-27-2008, 07:29 PM
You are in the wrong field then.Oh come now... we aren't all cryptographers, graphic programmers, physics programmers, and/or algorithm efficiency experts. There are plenty of fields of programming that don't rely heavily on math. Not that I am advocating it because a good math background always looks good when applying for programming positions.

It's just... there are programmers that are math experts... and there are programmers that teach at community colleges. :)

master5001
10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
And programmers who teach math at community colleges. :)

Akkernight
10-28-2008, 08:51 AM
I do get good grades at math and all, but I don't use it :P only when it comes really necessary in coding :P

master5001
10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
To be honest, I remember a lot of math by writing simple programs that use the math. Just do the same thing.