PDA

View Full Version : Video Games



Pages : [1] 2

gnu-ehacks
02-06-2002, 08:26 PM
What's everyone's favorite video game? I don't care if it is PC game or console game, or even text-based game.

My favorite video game is The Sims...It gave me a totally new outlook on life, and it is also very addictive.

tim545666
02-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Half Life: Couter Strike

golfinguy4
02-06-2002, 08:54 PM
No offense, but how can a video game change your perspective of life??

gnu-ehacks
02-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Just the way that the game is played...I have never looked at life that way before.

QuestionC
02-06-2002, 09:28 PM
I suppose you could play the game long enough that your eyes box. That would result in some change of perspective.

CoderBob
02-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Everything has the potential to change your perspective; often it is from the most mundane human endeavors that the most important ideas originate.

My favorite video game is (and will always be because I do not play video games anymore) Privateer. Probably out-dated, it's fun because it isn't complicated, the storyline is decent, and the action is acceptable. Second tier in every way, the combination of its mediocre elements (which are only mediocre now, not at the time of release) makes it easy to play and thereby enjoyable.

taylorguitarman
02-06-2002, 09:58 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of Age of Empires but I'd have say my favorites are Pong, Arkanoid and Pacman.

incognito
02-06-2002, 10:05 PM
Well I'll tell you what, Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2, has got to be one of the best games so far, at least it is to me.

itld
02-06-2002, 10:37 PM
howdy,
ehehehehe i ah find ah myself playing samegnome for hours. it kind of sucks me in and holds on. my highest score is 4853.


M.R.

Paveltc
02-06-2002, 10:43 PM
My favorite game is probably Elasto Mania, a 2d motorcycle game.

SilentStrike
02-07-2002, 12:02 AM
BomberLAN :).

Honestly, I've been having fun playing street fighter alpha 2 kid from my dorm's PS2, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein on my PC is fun as well.

nvoigt
02-07-2002, 01:39 AM
All time favourite ? Probably Pirates on my old Atari ST.
At the moment ? Civilization 3 or Counterstrike.

novacain
02-07-2002, 02:12 AM
I'm looking for good coop LAN games. (no decent internet down here)

Any ideas? (Don't like deathmatch only styles like RCWolfenstein as not enough of us on the LAN)

Have played (lately) Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon, Empire Earth and Serious Sam.

Best ever?
System Shock

Govtcheez
02-07-2002, 06:36 AM
My favorite video game is (and will always be because I do not play video games anymore) Privateer. Probably out-dated, it's fun because it isn't complicated, the storyline is decent, and the action is acceptable. Second tier in every way, the combination of its mediocre elements (which are only mediocre now, not at the time of release) makes it easy to play and thereby enjoyable.YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES! I agree on all points (except that I still play video games)!!!

> No offense, but how can a video game change your perspective of life??

The Sims has that effect on people - it's a great game...

basilisk
02-07-2002, 06:58 AM
Counterstrike, baldurs gate and deus ex are my favourite games (liable to change when neverwinter nights comes out) - i'm impressed that someone has their fav game as System shock that was a well cool game (i was going to replay it last month but i cant find the cd anywhere)

Govtcheez
02-07-2002, 07:00 AM
System Shock didn't work on my system, so I took it back - the second one was really cool, though... I hope they make a third one that's that good...

ober
02-07-2002, 07:05 AM
My favorite video game is (and will always be because I do not play video games anymore) Privateer.

:( I could never get that damn game to work on my old P-75... then again, that was 5 years ago when i was just dumb..

All time fav would have to be Half-life... any mod, Opposing Force being the best mod... CS is good tho...

Currently my vote goes to Mechwarrior 4... it only got REALLY addictive when I got my new joystick... M$ Sidewinder w/ Force Feedback... SUHWEET!! :D

CtrlAltKick
02-07-2002, 09:15 AM
first time posting here. this thread seems like a good place to start.

my favorite games would have to be Quake 3: Urban Terror (its a mod but i guess it counts) and Silent Hill 1 and 2. the silent hill series scares the **** out of me, and theres so much replay value. too bad i havent much time to play.

oh, yeah, and Afterwards (another quake 3 mod). not as well known as UrT but very fun to play.

bloody hell, almost forgot Serious Sam.

Imperito
02-07-2002, 12:43 PM
I like Infantry the best, mainly cuz it IS the best.

Standard RPG == 1-8 players/game
Standard RTS == 1-8 players/game
Standard FPS == 1-32 players/game
Infantry == 20-150 players/game

Plus the game is under constant development so it is always coming up with something new.

Deckard
02-07-2002, 12:48 PM
I've not been playing as many video games now as I did 10-15 years ago, but Uplink (http://www.introversion.co.uk/) really has me hooked at the moment.

gnu-ehacks
02-07-2002, 09:13 PM
But on infantry, it's only like 30 people per arena anyways...

dirkduck
02-09-2002, 01:48 AM
Baldurs Gate 1/2/expansions

and when neverwinter nights comes out it seems like it will be AWESOME

shtarker
02-09-2002, 06:39 AM
I'm with Brian on the Yoshi's island call, but I also like Wolfenstien. Not the return to it as much tho, it just didn't get there for me. . .

ihsir
02-09-2002, 08:00 AM
I like car/bike racing games. Motoracer, Motocross Madness etc but Need For Speed RULES.

Age of Empires is also a good game. Great details.

vasanth
02-09-2002, 11:42 AM
Mine is MAX PAYNE... It has the Matrix effect

DrakkenKorin
02-09-2002, 12:05 PM
I've noticed this disturbing trend.

Why is it that many of us (computer geeks) enjoy computer/video games?

I, for one, do not like them. Well that's not true, I will play some that my brothers own, but I spend about 1/2 to 2 hours a week playing them.

However, there are some people in school that do nothing else but program and play games. Its disgusting. If they're not talking about coding they're talking about this or that game and how they can beat anyone who even thinks about it. It has gotten to the point that they will sit in class and interrupt with interjections about games. Sure the discussion was on a MIPS processor and how one of the Nintendo consoles still uses a MIPS processor then somehow the conversation went to games. I was thinking. This is what I am paying over $1500 a semester for, to hear these nerds talking about <insert favorite game here>.

I guess I am just a freak. In my spare time (which is hardley ever) I am usually reading. Right now I'm looking at Rozz Williams - from Christian Death to Death.
:confused:

Dissata
02-09-2002, 12:31 PM
I like games, tho I rarely play 'em. If I am cought in the act of playing a game it's mostly sports where I'm playing my bro, or sometimes a good RPG. now that I think about it I AM CRAZY I have a ps2 and have played it like 3 times :confused: I'm a dumbass. :)

Cheeze-It
02-09-2002, 12:41 PM
nvoigt,
You live in Germany, right? I read something in
some newsgroup that said it's against German
law to sell video games that depict the killing
of humans? Is this true? If it is, could you
go to prison for playing Counterstrike?

And to the Australians,
I read that Grand Theft Auto 3 was banned in
Australia because of it's content. Is this true?

Anyway, my favorite game is Xenogears.

rick barclay
02-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by nvoigt
All time favourite ? Probably Pirates on my old Atari ST.
At the moment ? Civilization 3 or Counterstrike.

Hey! My first comp was a 1040. They were great machines, weren't they (compared to 286's, anyway).

I was loyal up to the Mega 2, then I gave up for lack of software.
Dr. T's music software was the best I've ever seen, and I mean right up to present day.

rick

(TNT)
02-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Blood 2 the chose, Serious Sam 1 & 2, Soldier of fotune, UT...

shtarker
02-09-2002, 05:40 PM
>>And to the Australians,
>>I read that Grand Theft Auto 3 was banned in
>>Australia because of it's content. Is this true?

I'm afraid so.
That damn sept 11 thing has led to the relection of a pretty right wing government.
The guy who banned it is the same person opposing the Kyoto Protocol and is refusing to accept and refugees.

bart
02-10-2002, 02:28 AM
favourite video game? id have to say age of empires II.
fovourite computer game? C++ programming, of course.

nvoigt
02-10-2002, 03:00 AM
nvoigt,
You live in Germany, right? I read something in
some newsgroup that said it's against German
law to sell video games that depict the killing
of humans? Is this true? If it is, could you
go to prison for playing Counterstrike?


Well, not generally. It is not really against the law. If you are 18+, you can order and play any videogame you like. However, there exists a department for youth-protection, which will filter out games and other stuff that they think is harmful for teenagers. Those products may not be sold to underage people and may not be advertised in any way. That means magazines will not test the game and you will not see it on the shelves. If you want it, you have to know it exists and you have to ask for it.

Killing humans itself is not against this law. However, the killing of humans to achieve your goal in the game is. Then, it also depends on the graphical way of displaying it. I wouldn't qualify Age of Empires as violent game. Ego shooters however...

The result are some pretty easy to circumvent measures of the computer industry. You remember Command & Conquer ? To sell it openly in Germany, they colored the infantrists blood black and said it were only robots in the manual. Case closed, game sold.

Also, most games have a violence level. Like Fallout for example. In the German version, you cannot set it to 'Violent' in the GUI. But hey, we are programmers... a little look for the INI file and a text editor gave me blood and explosions left and right :D

Conclusion: Most versions here have less blood. If you want the real thing, you have to go order the english version, or tweak it a bit ;)

Another thing is nazi symbols. Displaying Nazi symbols for anything else but documentations is illegal. No matter if you are the good guy in Wolfenstein, no nazi symbols. Meaning: we got a special german version.

I don't really care for more blood on the screen. I rarely play ego-shooters, and when I play Counterstrike, I don't want the guy to bleed all over my screen. I got him. Thats what counts.

itld
02-10-2002, 10:55 AM
Howdy nvgoit,
i showed this to my teenager:

~~there exists a department for youth-protection, which will filter out games and other stuff that they think is harmful for teenagers.~~

his response was "i wouldnt own any games if these guys were in America"

i have to ask who are "they", i shudder to guess.

M.R.

CoderBob
02-10-2002, 11:40 AM
Well, um, people are allowed to have fun, that's the point of life, isn't it?


In books you don't achieve anything, but in Yoshi's island you can beat the big baddie and get to the next level.

Brian, aren't you contradicting yourself by saying that video games are enjoyable precisely because you aren't just having fun but because you are accomplishing a goal?

DrakkenKorin
02-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Brian
Well, um, people are allowed to have fun, that's the point of life, isn't it?

I completely agree. But to me, fun is not playing video games, sure at times they are entertaining. The thing I don't understand is that some of the people (the people I am speaking of are the ones who started the incident in class) - they make it seem that that is all they do. If they aren't coding they're playing. Just seems strange to me that that are the only thing that gives them satisfication (NOTE: I do not know these people well enough, so I am working off of observed conclusions). Add to that that they are taking away from class time talking about the latest game, which probably won't be on any midterm, so I don't need to know.


posted by Brian
Sure, I can get more fun out of The Stand (A book: Steven King, for those too stupid to know) ... In books you don't achieve anything, ...

IMHO, King sucks, and The Stand is one of his wort, IMHO again. I would have to disagree with you on your contention that reading books doesn't achieve anything (if I understood it correctly). I believe that books help strengthen a person's imagination. Which would aid that person see solutions to problems that someone else couldn't have seen. Why? Because their imagination was not told what something should be, instead he/she was allowed to come up with their own interpretation of the situation. (may be a bad example, It seems clear when I read it, but I don't know if everyone will understand what I'm trying to convey :p ).

klausi
02-11-2002, 11:39 AM
I like shooters like Unreal and Counterstrike, but I think the German versions of the games where the blood is e.g. green don´t make any sense.

klausi

Govtcheez
02-11-2002, 11:42 AM
> (A book: Steven King, for those too stupid to know)

Stephen King, for those too stupid to spell.

> IMHO, King sucks, and The Stand is one of his wort, IMHO again.

Well, now you've gone and made me cry, Drakken... :D

> but in Yoshi's island you can beat the big baddie and get to the next level.

What is that achieving?

DrakkenKorin
02-11-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Well, now you've gone and made me cry, Drakken... :D


Sorry Gov't, just never bought into King's hype. I was always let down by his work. I would see the title, then read the reviews and think "This has got to be one hell'uva book!". Buy it, take it home and start reading.

Only to fall asleep by Chap 3. King just can't keep me awake. But that's just me. I know her has legions of fans. I'm just glad I didn't get flammed for thinking he sucks!

:D

Betazep
02-11-2002, 08:16 PM
I liked Diablo...

Ground Control is awesome

Right now I am playing Max Pane (Pain... something like that) and I am liking it thoroughly....

Yoshi
02-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Midtown Madness 1/2,
Smash Bros. both,
LOZ: Ocarina of Time,
Starcraft,
SimCity 3000 Unlimited,
SC 2000,
SimTower,
SimFarm,
Civ 2,
Pokèmon Gold, Red, Stadium 2.
...:p

kermi3
02-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Stephen King, for those too stupid to spell.

I never bouthg into King either, however the stuff he wrote under Bachman is pretty good. If you want to scare yourself about what human society and people are capable of I HIGHLY recomend Steven King/Bachman's The Long Walk and to a lesser extent The Running Man (the origianal not the way that Arnonld Shwartzinager messed it up).

As for games (in no real order since the game depends on my mood:

Escape Velocity (Mac)
Civ 2
Counter-Strike (PC)
Team Fortress Classic,Map: Warpath (PC)
SSN i688 by Janes (PC)
Masters of Orion II (PC and Mac)
NHL 2000 (PC)
Mechwarrior 2 (PC and quite possibly the BEST overall game for any mood)
Mechwarrior 4

Prelude
02-11-2002, 10:19 PM
Hopelessly addicted to Star Wars flight sims and FPS. Then of course there's the always popular 'Debugger', a constant favorite for all programmers.

-Prelude

Invincible
02-12-2002, 04:59 AM
As old school as everyone is here, I have to say it. I'm helplessly addicted to the new wave of MMORPGs. It began with EverQuest, which I played for 3 years, then I moved on to Anarchy Onlie (total crap, amateur coding laced with mem leaks and glossed over with graphics that were only feasable on next gen systems), now I play Dark Age of Camelot. And I anxiously await Star Wars Galaxies and Horizons: Empires of Istaria.:cool:

breed
02-12-2002, 06:54 AM
I'm with Bartman AOE II drains at least two hours of your life, every time i link up.

games i can't stand majong & solitare(phuff)

adrianxw
02-12-2002, 07:17 AM
Rarely have time for games. Perhaps once a week or so I'll have a look at Dune 2000, or maybe a lightning chess game.

Govtcheez
02-12-2002, 07:44 AM
> Only to fall asleep by Chap 3. King just can't keep me awake. But that's just me. I know her has legions of fans. I'm just glad I didn't get flammed for thinking he sucks!

I guess I'm the minority in this case, then (see kermi's comments)... I can't usually tear myself away... (I know I'm gonna get flamed for this next part) I'd much rather read him that Tolkien anyday... I actually think he's a better writer than Tolkien. (That's right! I said it!)

kermi and drakken - if you want a somewhat different style of King's, try the Dark Tower series....

Govtcheez
02-12-2002, 07:45 AM
Oh yeah, and the Long Walk's one of my favorites - The Running Man's ok, but if you want a good Bachman Book, I'd go after Rage...

itld
02-12-2002, 08:11 AM
howdy,
is Stephen King a video game...

King wont even let his own kids read the stuff he writes

M.R.

kermi3
02-12-2002, 08:33 AM
howdy,
is Stephen King a video game...

King wont even let his own kids read the stuff he writes


Ok you're right...but where would we be n CP.com if we didn't havge tangents?....so I'll split the thread!

King's kids shouldn't read what he writes, I wouldn't let my kids read it! But that doesn't mean it can't entertain the rest of us and make us question human psychology and flat out insanity!!!

I've never read Rage, nor most of his books to be honest but it'd be REAL hard to beat The Long Walk