PDA

View Full Version : Try my journaling program?

Yarin
10-07-2008, 09:56 AM
http://yarin.awardspace.com/pero1/perorel.htm

sdemaio
10-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm trying it out right now, made a bug submission already too :P

Ok, how do I rename a journal entry viewing it from the main screen (where all the entries are listed.)

This is a screenshot of the error I produced.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?ccaf99ea5e.jpg

Also...it seems to save that error dialog. I closed the journal, edited environment fonts and it gave me same wall of lots of text error.

Will try some more later.

Yarin
10-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Beta 2 is out now.

sdemaio
10-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Ok, gonna give Beta 2 a shot.

Edit 1 : The Changes link gives me a 404 error on webpage.

Edit 2 : PDX4104 Error still present. Won't report it anymore though, I already submitted that bug.
That "lots of text" error still present also. :P

Uh, should I keep submitting using your website? Or post here?

sdemaio
10-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh jesus I just made a gem of a bug. Clicking the Undo-Redo started printing "9" or "s29" on the beginning of the entry screen text.

Also try this.

Enter an entry such as:

Error
Eror

Spell check it and "Replace" Eror and it prints.

errorerrorr

Could you explain what an Exhibit is so I could test that part? :)

That "9" "s29" Error I can't seem to replicate now.

Just got this s29 error to replicate itself by typing some random text choosing random buttons between Bold, Italics, and then hitting undo/redo a few times. It did it when I hit Redo.

Edit: I made it crash, generate a windows crash report and then it even crashed DrWatson Postmortem Debugger. Is that part of your software or Windows?

sdemaio
10-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Woot, saved file corruption after that crash :)!

Entry 5 turned into...(listed in the main journal entry viewing window).

"Entry 5 - 255/65535/65535 243:65535PM - 255 Exhibits"

Oh and it made Exhibit export now possible. Lists 255 exhibits all in format. Number of each exhibit unique of course.

"Exhibit 90 - - 0 bytes"

Exhibit 1 however is...

"Exhibit 1 - - 45277200 bytes"

So I closed Perodika and tried opening the exhibit I exported with Perodika through Windows "Open With..." Menu. I got this error message when I tried to launch Perodika on it's own after that.

"Unable to find Perodika's main window.
Another process may be using Perodika's mutex name."

Reopening the journal. I got the corrupted entry 5 as...

"Entry 5 - 255/0/255"

Exporting that journal entry resulted in a "*.doc" file which I opened with OpenOffice.

The contents were as follows.

"30 Journal Path: C:and Settings-test.bjd
Entry Number: 5
Entry Date: 255/0/255
Entry Time: 0:00AM"

Keyboard Shortcuts. I'm not sure this is a problem.
Entry Menu. Remove and Reset Timestamp both use R as their button.
Edit Menu. Cut and Copy both use C.

Yarin
10-07-2008, 09:05 PM
>> Uh, should I keep submitting using your website? Or post here?
Either way is fine.

>> Could you explain what an Exhibit is so I could test that part?
An exhibit is any file that you import (add) to a single entry. Almost like an attachment with an email. Each entry has it's own set of exhibits. Though probably, they should be called something else...
I'm curios, have the Help Messages been showing for you? If so, do you think the one on exhibits needs updated?

>> Spell check it and "Replace" Eror and it prints.
Yes I see. That is strange, it works fine with anything else I give.
I may be spending a minute on that one.

>> Keyboard Shortcuts. I'm not sure this is a problem.
No it's not. Even so, you're right I should change those.

>> Woot, saved file corruption after that crash !
Yup, the journal document got really corrupted. As you may have noticed, the number 255 (i.e. 0xFF) was everywhere.

>> Edit: I made it crash, generate a windows crash report and then it even crashed DrWatson Postmortem Debugger. Is that part of your software or Windows?
Well, when I did trial-and-error debugging of my own, this would always happen too. I honestly have no idea why it crashes watson though.

>> Clicking the Undo-Redo started printing "9" or "s29" on the beginning of the entry screen text.
I can't make this happen. Could you give a more in-depth description of what you did? When I repeatedly click undo and redo with text in the edit it works fine...

Thanks for your persistence. :)

sdemaio
10-08-2008, 12:44 AM
>> Clicking the Undo-Redo started printing "9" or "s29" on the beginning of the entry screen text.
I can't make this happen. Could you give a more in-depth description of what you did? When I repeatedly click undo and redo with text in the edit it works fine...
* I'm trying to replicate it again, it was quite random both times I made it appear. But I'll see if I can nail down a way to do it.

I'm curios, have the Help Messages been showing for you? If so, do you think the one on exhibits needs updated?
* They have been, I took my time reading them this time. I'm unsure the value of attaching something to a journal though if Perodika doesn't open it/preview it/or tie it in (insert image into document type thing). The e-mail attachment description helped a lot.

* Spelling changes.
First help message when program loads.
peticular -> particular
preform -> perform

Help message on creation of first journal.
conveniont -> convenient

Help msg creating first journal entry. Oddly this msg is white background instead of the parchment kind of others. Hmm not exact white but not strong enough like the others.
varify -> verify

* "9"/"s29" now made an "015" appear. I typed the alphabet, highlighted it hit Bold, Italics and Undo/Redo many times in between. It was slightly random when it appeared.

"s15" changed characters style a bunch then hit Redo a few times followed by an undo and then a redo and I think it was the redo that made it appear.

"0" after hitting Redo. Sometimes you lose the highlight of text while Undoing / Redoing.
"5" Select text entry, Hit Bold -> Bold and alternate a bit, hit undo then redo.
"s15" while hitting Undo after Bold, Italics Underline a lot.

It's definitely related to the Undo/Redo buttons.

Bold Bold Bold Bold, Undo Redo Undo produced a "5."

An interesting thing to note is that I tried copy/paste and other text manipulation things and couldn't get it to bug but it was with the B/I/U that it seemed to do it a lot more easily.

* Help message for adding first Exhibit miscolored I think, they're either miscolored or my eyes at 2:30AM are playing tricks haha!

* Opening calendar for the first time help message.
marriges -> marriages
enviornment -> environment
accessable -> accessible
reletives -> relatives

* After adding first Event on calendar help message.
appropriete -> appropriate
automaticly -> automatically

* Create new birth the selection of gender should be a drop down or selection option. I didn't even know I could click the box to change it until I did by accident. Grayed background in most peoples heads = unchangeable.

* Hardcoded event "Eid-al-Fitr" Wiki has listed as being spelled "Eid-ul-Fitr." I was curious about this because the dates were variable each year but that seems to be how this event is.

* "fs15" I just put blank spaces highlighted them, spammed Bold/Italic/Underline on them spammed redo/undo and it appeared at the start. I wonder if I made a video showing how I do this so you can see it...

* Oh geez I did it. Crashed it messing with Copy of nothing > Paste > Undo Redos.

It printed a "15" this time then crashed.

I'm not sure if this is at all helpful but this is what the error signature said.
AppName: perodika.exe AppVet 1.0.1.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512 Offset: 000109f9

I managed to snag this, it's 1 of 2 files Windows made but I couldn't get the *.dmp file since it was being used.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<DATABASE>
<EXE NAME="Perodika.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="KillPerodika.exe" SIZE="41472" CHECKSUM="0x73B8B4B6" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.0.1.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.1.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Perodika Uninstallation Program" COMPANY_NAME="" PRODUCT_NAME="Perodika Uninstallation" FILE_VERSION="1.0" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="perokill.exe" INTERNAL_NAME="PeroKill" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright &#169; Yarin Licht, 2008. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x0" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x1803E" LINKER_VERSION="0x10000" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.0.1.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.1.0" LINK_DATE="10/05/2008 17:57:11" UPTO_LINK_DATE="10/05/2008 17:57:11" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="Perodika.exe" SIZE="1497088" CHECKSUM="0x60C7EFBF" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.0.1.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.1.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="1.1" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Perodika Journaling Program" COMPANY_NAME="" PRODUCT_NAME="Perodika" FILE_VERSION="1.1" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="Perodika.exe" INTERNAL_NAME="bitjournal" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright &#169; Yarin Licht, 2008. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x0" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x173BAF" LINKER_VERSION="0x10000" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.0.1.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.1.0" LINK_DATE="10/08/2008 02:02:06" UPTO_LINK_DATE="10/08/2008 02:02:06" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="ntdll.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="ntdll.dll" SIZE="706048" CHECKSUM="0x864EA42F" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" FILE_DESCRIPTION="NT Layer DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft&#174; Windows&#174; Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="ntdll.dll" INTERNAL_NAME="ntdll.dll" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="&#169; Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xB62BC" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" UPTO_LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="989696" CHECKSUM="0x7D737C09" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft&#174; Windows&#174; Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="&#169; Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xF44A2" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5512" LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" UPTO_LINK_DATE="04/14/2008 00:11:24" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
</DATABASE>

* Also check journal properties those should display a 0 but I see "NaN." Affected fields are: Avg entry # words, All entry # words, Avg entry # char, All entry # char. On a new journal with nothing done, raw document size, also displays "NaN bytes"

* Woot crash #2 of the night. On main journal entry selection screen without choosing an entry. I went to environment options changed the font and size of it. Gave a blank error message, same kind where it just copied the journal entry's contents and put that as error. I CANNOT however seem to replicate this now. So I'm not sure what happened.

* Odd, messing with changing the font again I went into an entry typed "lalalala" changed the font and size got the error message with "lalalala" but "\par" was stuck on the end so it appeared.

Error

lalalala\par

I don't know where it got \par from at all, but I am having a hard time replicating this too.

* Before editing a journal (just after opening a journal) Change font and you'll get an error message with "~" This replicates each time you start and do that.

* Made a "3" appear after highlighting bold/italic/underlining and undo/redoing. There is definitely something there.

* Series of error messages. Replicates too!
Have Perodika opened, any point in program seems to make this happen. But make sure you have UNsaved changes. (To an entry for instance.)
Have an exhibit exported (Might work for any file, ok, Tried a *.txt and got 3/3 of the error messages.)

Take that Exhibit file *.doc in my case was the exported file. Drag it from desktop (wherever stored) over Perodika shortcut.
Perodika asks if you'd like to save the journal.
Hitting Yes will say "Journal was opened in read-only mode, Hence, you are not allowed to save any changes made to it."
Hit OK.
Next error message, "Failed to save changes. Closing of journal aborted."
Next error message, "Failure to allocate required memory. Your computer must be barely running right now."

I hit NO when Perodika asked me to save my journal and ONCE replicated this to some extent but other times it gave me proper "This doesn't seem like a valid journal file."

* Hmm, it seems that by opening the journal file by dragging it over Perodika opens it in read only mode. Ok, this seems to stop the above error from replicating. It may be good to have different messages or find out why dragging over to open is read-only mode. Taking the user a different error message way would help a lot in explaining it I think. But if you open and edit a journal normally then try to open the *.doc by dragging it and choosing EITHER yes or no to save or not, you'll get "this is not a valid journal entry. "

* When you run the uninstall program, it leaves the directory and the uninstall program still present.

Yarin
10-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Beta 3 is out now.

The only problem I noticed with b3 is that if you create to many events the program will have a memory overflow. Other than that it's suppose to work perfectly. See if you can duplicate that bug.

I don't have any printers installed either, but I do have some XLS program that seems to be recognized as a printer. So I can't duplicate that bug. Could you give a more detailed report of what happened?

sdemaio
10-08-2008, 04:31 PM
* Hm the "s9" bug seems to be gone... but following similar steps I made it put a "\par" at the end of document. Replicating this is just a matter of spamming bold, italic, underline, copy, paste, cut, etc and redo undo.

* Journal properties is all fixed up except the # of characters for all entries which displayed a "2\g" for me. One entry, with 12 characters.

* The print bug is a matter of having NO print options installed on system. Try removing the XPS and any printers and then printing from program. It first tells you there is no printer installed and that it failed to load the printer dialog. That happens choosing yes or no. The Error give was PDX4104. I tested it on my other PC with a printer installed and it works just fine without the error.

* Replicable crash bug.

Have Perodika opened to view the entry selection screen.
Have any entry highlighted. Go to Edit -> Find -> Selected Entry -> type anything, search and it crashes everytime.

I tried having no entry highlighted and using Find but it properly told me to select an entry. I tried Finding over the whole journal but it came back with proper results (text found or not found). Something with Selected Entry it doesn't like.

Running out of ideas to test! Gonna keep messing around though :P

Yarin
10-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I have Beta 4 out now. It should run smoother than smooth butter...

Let me know what you find!

steve_demaio
10-10-2008, 06:45 PM
* File > Journal Properties is really wacky now.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6859/propertieshg1.jpg

My journal is one entry, 3 words "A new entry."

* Divorcing on calendar asks me for birth dates of Person 1 and 2. I think that is irrelevant. Perhaps just a bug. If you hit Edit on Event after making it and hit Okay, it will ask you for the Birth date of one person. If you hit no it will do nothing, if you hit Yes it asks you about person 2.

* Error where if you are editing event for instance and the event loses focus in the list box and you hit edit again (click calendar to change focus.) It generates an error. Remove also does this. I think the buttons are supposed to Gray out if you lose the focus on the event but they don't.

*Succeeded in crashing Perodika. But I'm not sure exactly what caused it. Going to work on this one.

* Journal relocation. A few problems, the confirmation dialog has the 2nd date incorrectly displayed ("0/0/424") or something weird (it changes). Second if you hit no, the dialog closes and that's fine. But if you hit Yes, you get an error "cannot create file" and Perodika crashes.

*Journal Synchronize creates phantom entry.

"Entry 1 - 110/118/69 - 56:101PM - 98 Exhibits"

I had two journals each with two entries. Lol at the :101PM btw :P

This also had a very bad problem it seems... my base file (journal.bjd) is completely corrupted now and causes Perodika to crash each time I open it. Journal2.bjd (the file I told, journal.bjd to synchronize to) contains all the entries it should + the phantom entry.

* Reset timestamp does fix the erroneous date and time on phantom entry.

* Even though entry 1 claims to have 98 exhibits none of the exhibit options are available, I think that's good though since they don't exist. Probably just a display error. I lied. If you open the entry and use the buttons to navigate the exhibits or use the exhibits menu you can work with non-existent exhibits. I exported all and made an empty zip file. :P

* Exportation of an entry now shows the correct path :P You probably knew this though.

* Just curious if there is an export entry, there is no import?

* Not really a problem but when you list today's events, Ok and Cancel accomplish the same thing and may be confusing. I think just Ok is good.

arpsmack
10-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey I tried out the app really quick. I didn't do any crazy stress testing or anything (i.e. I didn't try to break it).

One note though, some of your dialogs get cut off if Windows is set to use a larger font. I'm on Vista with my font DPI set to 120, and this is what one of the help dialogs looks like for me:

Also, several of the installation dialogs had similar issues where most of the text was cut off.

Sadly, this seems to be a problem with most applications these days (I seem to be one of the few people who uses a different DPI setting).

Yarin
10-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Like you said, the font size thing is a common problem.
This is so because writing a program to adjust window and control size to properly accommodate font sizes, you'll be adding a lot of code, that won't even be necessary 99% of the time.

Just so you know I haven't given up or anything, I'm still working on B5.

Yarin
10-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Well, now that I think of it, my next project will probably use dialog units to fix that, it's a habit I need to get...

Okay, I finished beta 5.
Please tell me what you find wrong! Or what you think should be added/changed. (Not including that font problem arpsmack pointed out)

sdemaio
10-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm curious, I loaded Perodika today and it said it had crashed during its last running and wanted to upload a bug report. So I played along and hit OK to submit. But it took me to a blank bug report form so I'm extremely curious what it thought was the problem ( as far as I know the program exited successfully last time I had run it. ) I closed it and started it again to see what was up but it didn't give me the message again so I can only assume it had found something? But not giving me any information on what it thought was wrong leaves me with being able to report nothing about that error. Perhaps that type of detection can be improved to give the user some type of info about the crash.

Still testing!

* I tried adding a blank exhibit (none existing file) today from the button bar on the screen and it gave me this error.
"That's a huge file; in fact, it's too big."
This should be changed to state file not found or something.

* Timestamps are to keep the info on the time the entry was last modified? If so it doesn't update this for me. I edit the entry but it still displays the time it was created. Is this why there is an "Edit Timestamp" option in the Entry menu? This seems tedious.

* There is some instability trying to Import a non existent file. It crashed the program giving a C++ error and corrupted the journal file. This is repeatable. The second time I did this it simply deleted all my entries but the journal file itself was readable. This should be like the exhibit importation. Perodika should catch the error and prevent the user from trying to import the non-existent file before it crashes.

I think you might want to do something to ensure that the journal file itself is more safe or protected from corruption in the event the program crashes. It would really be a pain for a user to write a lot and then have it possibly corrupted by a program crash. Perhaps backing it up somehow, I'm not sure.

I also feel strongly that you should allow users the option to label their journal entries instead of 1, 2, etc. It will make keeping it organized much easier.

* The error of losing the selection of the Event in the calendar and being able to click edit or remove and generating an error still exists. It should ask the user to select an entry or be grayed out.

* For the installer, add Back buttons so a user can change a setting without having to cancel the installation process and begin again.

* For un-installation KillPerodika.exe is still present as well as the folder for Perodika. I know most programs tend to leave these sitting around (registry entries too -shudder-) but it would be nice if it could remove and fix it's own entries. If nothing else removing the uninstaller and folder would be nice. And this is also slightly interesting but if you've run Perodika, crashed it you can't uninstall the main Perodika.exe file. I checked Processes tab but it's not running there at all. So I'm confused why it would give an error removing it. But having restarted the PC it allowed me to manually remove the Perodika.exe file. Hardly a very dangerous bug though. More an annoyance.

arpsmack
10-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Jesus, the next time I need a program tested I'm going straight to you sdemaio. :)

robwhit
10-17-2008, 07:39 PM
I submitted a bug report with the web reporting feature. Did you get it? It's still an issue in beta 5.

sdemaio
10-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Jesus, the next time I need a program tested I'm going straight to you sdemaio. :)

I have always found breaking things somewhat fun...and I know it will help me whenever I get around to learning how to program to know some things to watch for and catch when writing the software with the user in mind.

Yarin
10-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I submitted a bug report with the web reporting feature. Did you get it? It's still an issue in beta 5.
Yeah. I thought I fixed that problem a couple betas ago. You'll have to send me a screenshot at "mail [my user name] at mailnew dot com".

sdemaio,

The "crash detected" dialog is just asking you if you're aware of a bug that made the crash, or otherwise a bug at all. Is what it says misleading?

The timestamps are there to let you know when the entry was created, not last edited. I'll make the updating a setting anyway.
As you know the menu item used to be "Reset Timestamp", if you go to it now, you'll see that you can now adjust the date. But there's also a button in the edit dialog that "resets" it with ease. Let me know if you have a suggestion on improving that.

>> * The error of losing the selection of the Event in the calendar and being
>> able to click edit or remove and generating an error still exists. It should
>> ask the user to select an entry or be grayed out.
I thought I fixed problem that too. Give me a detailed description on how you caused this.

I don't know why the un-installation is leaving itself there. It injects a thread into explorer.exe that waits for the program to close, then it deletes it and it's folder. This was the only way I could overcome the problem where a program can't delete itself. I'm using Zone-Alarm, and when the program does this, ZA warns me about it, but it works fine. What firewall/anti-virus are you using?

Oh, it should be getting rid of it's registry keys. ;)

arpsmack's right, you are trying things I would've never even came close to even thinking of. Have you beta tested before?

working on B6 right now...

sdemaio
10-18-2008, 12:33 PM
The "crash detected" dialog is just asking you if you're aware of a bug that made the crash, or otherwise a bug at all. Is what it says misleading?

Most of the time it was helpful, I knew there was a crash and most users should be sent to the page to submit a bug report but they also might not know what caused the program to crash. That's why I had suggested perhaps auto-filling out the form with some info about the crash or possibly telling the user what went wrong if that's even possible without too much work. Otherwise it's not really serving a point if the user knows the program crashed but not what to fill in.

For the timestamps I think that having the "last edited on" option being a setting would be great. The Timestamp editor seems nice but I'm struggling to think of a time where I'd use it, I'd think (for me anyway) that with the setting to update the last edited date and time that I would be fine with that.

For the calendar button errors. Do this:
1) Open calendar choose a day, add an event (I usually do note because it's fast but it should replicate on any type of event.
2) Now have the day selected still and the event has appeared in the "Day's Event" box on the right hand of the calendar. If you take a look at the buttons now, Edit and Remove event are grayed out as they should be.
3) Select your event, the buttons un-gray and are click-able. So click "Edit" for now.
4) Just hit OK to get rid of the Edit dialog, but now look at the Edit and Remove buttons, they are NOT grayed out and are clickable. But if you notice in the "Day's Event" box the event is no longer selected.
5) At this point hit Edit or Remove Event and you'll generate the error.

An easy fix? I think checking that an event is selected (when you click the button) would solve that (not sure if that's going to hurt efficiency or not), or even just graying out the buttons again but I'm not sure how that is done. OR even just making sure that after editing the Event that the event stays focused within that box.

I'm proceeding to uninstall Perodika again right now. Lets see...

Start Menu > Perodika Folder > Remove Perodika which launches KillPerodika.exe.

Ok.. so it deleted the Perodika.exe as it should (it only seems to leave it if Perodika has crashed fatally (even though I've not seen Perodika.exe running in Process tab...). It gave me after the Uninstall.

"Could not delete primary program"

Now, programs I have running. AVG. I do have Windows Firewall running. That's all that would interfere with something uninstalling itself. I've looked around in AVG and it doesn't have anything relating to some type of log of it blocking an application (it has a history log related to only AVG actions).

I use CCleaner to keep my registry in order. I'm running the registry scan right now and will tell you the keys it finds related to Perodika.

Hm, it does not leave the shell extension (associates *.bjd with Perodika). These are the four relating to Perodika, and looking at them I'm not sure if you have control over changing these? I'm not very good with the registry. It could be taking care of the keys it can take care of, like I said, I'm no pro with registry info. Most programs when uninstalled will generate similar registry issues, but again it might just be normal.

Open with Application Issue C:\Program Files\Perodika\Perodika.exe "&#37;1" HKCR\PerodikaBJD\shell\open
Open with Application Issue C:\Program Files\Perodika\Perodika.exe "%1" HKCR\Applications\Perodika.exe\shell\open
Missing Startup Software "C:\Program Files\Perodika\Perodika.exe" /si HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Missing MUI Reference C:\Program Files\Perodika\Perodika.exe HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICac he

Ok running through the installation again I chose "Install for current user only." During uninstall it generates the same error about "Could not delete primary program."
Checking registry...

Open with Application Issue C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Perodika\Perodika.exe "%1" HKCR\PerodikaBJD\shell\open
Open with Application Issue Applications\Perodika.exe\shell HKCR\Applications\Perodika.exe
Missing Startup Software "C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Perodika\Perodika.exe" /si HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Missing MUI Reference C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Perodika\Perodika.exe HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICac he

Have you beta tested before?
Quite a few games a long time ago but nothing within the past... two years I'd say. My PC is so old now (Athlon XP 2600+, 1gb of ram, Radeon X1650 Pro) that I would struggle to run most of the newer games so I don't bother signing up for beta testing anymore. This is my first piece of software to beta test that isn't a game. Some of the games were Empires: Dawn of the Modern World (Activision actually sent a FREE copy of the game for testing it...that's hot), lots of MMORPGs, those tests are easy to get into. I had this great list of all the things I'd done but it got deleted when a hard drive failed.. a shame.-_-

I guess the thing to take from beta testing is to work each aspect of the program from as many angles as possible so you can tap the bugs out of hiding. Some are subtle others are easy to find. I think it's fun. I don't know I might be crazy. >.>

Yarin
10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
>> I think it's fun. I don't know I might be crazy. >.>
If no one was crazy who would beta test? ;)

I wrapped up B6. Hopefully, it's the last B.
Check the removal program again too, I did the most work on that one.
Also, please recheck other things too, my fixes have "come undone" a couple times already before.

About the registry, I updated that too, but some reg references to Perodika will probably still come up in some MUI keys, which isn't a problem on my program's part.

sdemaio
10-21-2008, 07:48 PM
* Set title (so glad the option is finally in btw lol) isn't saved when the journal file is saved.

* The last edited on date is great.

* Sorting entries might be helpful to alert the user that it is sorted by timestamp. This actually will re-order the entries and possibly throw some of them out of whack. (Entry 1 is edited after entry 2, sorted, and now entry 2 appears as entry 1 and entry 1 is new entry 2.)

* The journal calendar error with edit/remove is fixed.

Ok going from the beginning now.

* The "s29" bug I cannot make appear anymore.

* Spell check seems to work.

* Export seems to work partially. Talking about journal entry export here.
It exports from the last SAVED version of the file instead of the current file. That should be changed to current version.

* The help messages appear fine for me, although I'm not using large fonts.

* Marriages and Divorces on the calendar still ask for the users birth date, it's irrelevant for creation of a marriage/divorce. Should be removed from asking it :P

* I cannot reproduce "\par" error.

* On calendar, you might consider the option of adding to the default calendar to be a button someplace instead of a pop up question each time. It becomes a pain after a while to click through it.

* Uninstalling still leaves PeroKill.exe and it's folder on my hard drive. The latest uninstaller leaves the journal shell extension association (*.bjd to Perodika) in my registry (something new it hasn't done before). The other entries relating to Perodika are same as before.

That's all I see atm. After those few issues are fixed I'd think you could release it (non beta) and have few problems.

Yarin
11-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Final (hopefully) Release is done! Please continue to treat this version as a beta though, just in case. I know the uninstallation can be finiky at times, I figure it'll do, it's not that big of a deal.