PDA

View Full Version : java and javascript question

CChakra
09-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Can I put my Java and Javascript questions here on cboard?

At my current condition ,Java is very important to me for the Job.

My questions will be related to algorithms and data structures and some Native
method calls.

Am I allowed to do that?

best regards,
Charkra

twomers
09-19-2008, 08:39 AM
... I'm not certain if it would be the best place to put it. Even if the questions are about data structures, etc, that might be common in C as well as other languages there's still the implementation that you're going to be using which is often used to illustrate the problem. It'll be in a different language. I personally don't care if you could be purposely evasive about the implementation and language and discussed problems, questions about whatever you might be querying. Don't be surprised if people complain about the language barrier though. It is, however, a C-board and you've gotta realise that most people here use that. There are other boards around, surely, which would deal specifically with Java/Javascript. daniweb is one I figure must.

There was an example here http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=106797 which I disagreed with completely. If you're gonna ask a question ... don't ask it like that!

whiteflags
09-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Hmm, well I know laserlight knows java, and I've toyed with javascript extensively. But it's basically hit or miss. You might want to go somewhere else (http://www.stackoverflow.com).

CChakra
09-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Yea , I know about that thread.I had doubt that whether I should ask that kind of questions and that's why I asked for clarification.

I can understand this is c board and most of its jobs are different than Java.But I am
disappointed to know that I can't ask Java related problems here.This board is one of the best
boards I found in the web.People responds here quickly and with detail explanation.

I will be asking c/c++ related questions here. :D

Dino
09-19-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't care if you ask - I'll answer if I can. The below forums are pretty fast to answer, and if you reward Duke Stars, they get answered even quicker.

http://forums.sun.com/index.jspa

CornedBee
09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
You can ask questions about whatever language you want in the Tech Board (not in General Discussion), but don't expect an answer.

master5001
09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Well I like Java questions since that is technically the language I have worked with the longest, though admittedly not necessarily the most thoroughly. I am usually quick to answer pascal and assembler questions though.

The bottom line is this: Just because I know most of the common languages currently used, and just because people like CornedBee and Prelude do too (and it seems to me that there are a couple other people active on the forums who are reasonably well versed in some other mainstream languages.) does not mean that any of us will read your question before it gets buried by other posts or flamed by other programmers who are not familiar with the language in question and are quick to remind you that this is a C/C++ website. There are other websites more suitable to JAVA specific questions.

abachler
09-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, as stated you can ask questions about other languages in the tech board. Most people here know more than one programming language, but of course there are better sites out there to ask a JAVA specxific question. The good responce and detailed help here is mostly because the people are experienced and proficient. IMO most people dont make a career out of being a java programmer. There are just too many barriers in the more technical fields that are much easier to handle with C/C++ or assembly.

CChakra
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Yea I understand that but I will ask Java questions indirectly ,not matter what.I have to
do Java and because Java is king in server side and I like server side(have to like because of Job demand).

I will ask c++ questions here and convert the codes to Java by some good tool. ;)

abachler
09-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Yea I understand that but I will ask Java questions indirectly ,not matter what.

The method is simple : I will convert C++ code to Java's. ;)

easier said than done, particularly when using API or standard library functions. There realyl is going to be a very low limit on how much will translate, and as the problems become more complex the translation will begin to get mroe involved than simply using a JAVA specific board.

master5001
09-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Freely ask your JAVA questions. I would be far more interested by JAVA questions than C questions any day. Its a simple matter of the fact that not everyone here is me (thank God for that. The world could not handle more than one of me) and therefore is not necessarily so welcoming of JAVA questions.

"I like JAVA therefore I am going to use it! And server side apps are all JAVA" is definitely the sort of comment that makes people like me who are willing to help skip down to the next thread. JAVA is great, and certainly has its place. I prefer it over C# and the other .NET nonsense, but a lot of people like the .NET nonsense. Therefore it is becoming pretty mainstream to the same people who were digging JAVA.

Do not make blanket statements that most of us are willing to argue with you about. Why? Because I have found most people would rather argue with facts than answer questions on this board. If they had a choice between answering a question about how to send a packet via UDP vs. arguing with you over the merits of JAVA, they would leave the poor shmuck trying to write a game server hanging.

CChakra
09-19-2008, 01:46 PM
ok brother ,as you say :)

I will ask Java questions directly and straight to the point. My questions will be regarding
algorithms and data structures.I don't know Java swing so no gui questions.Because Job demands,
I have to do J2ee stuffs.

thanks for offer :)

master5001
09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah no prob. Just post your Java Questions on the Tech board though. In the GDB they are likely to become buried by conversations about new games, concerts for musicians no one has heard of, and rants about the information technology field.

CChakra
09-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Got it :)

robwhit
09-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Freely ask your JAVA questions.What does the acronym JAVA stand for?

master5001
09-19-2008, 02:46 PM
It doesn't stand for anything. Unless I can conjur up some sort of obscure googled acronym that also happens to end up having the initials J. A. V. A. I think in the spirit of caffein addiction which grips all of us programmers, they gave it an appropriate name for all the sleepless nights they probably spent working on the language specification. Kudos to you, Starbucks. Just like PHP.

master5001
09-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Ok I did google it just for the sake of amusement. Google didn't let me down:

Jamaica Association of Villas and Apartments

From now on, I am going to use this as my joke answer to that question.

robwhit
09-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks man!

CornedBee
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Or you could just write Java, which is what the language is actually called.

master5001
09-19-2008, 02:56 PM
No problem. A lot of things in computer science are named things for no apparent reason. I am willing to bet there is an inside joke somewhere that explains the whole JAVA thing.

VMS also doesn't stand for anything. I have heard that the reason Windows NT was named NT was because Microsoft had absorbed some of the VMS folks to write their OS for them and they named it Windows NT which is just [V+1][M+1][S+1] or WNT... Windows NT. It sounds legit enough but I do not know how true that story is. It is nifty if it is true.

CornedBee
09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
There is no inside joke. I don't know if they named it after the Java island or the Java coffee bean or Java the main developer's grandniece's time-travelling clone, but it wasn't ever an acronym, and as such shouldn't be spelled JAVA. It's just Java.

The only thing NT ever stood for was New Technology, although Wikipedia suggests that this was a marketing retronym.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#.27NT.27_designation

master5001
09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
> Or you could just write Java, which is what the language is actually called.

I call it "Newfangled web language." Or NWL for short. Even though its not as newfangled as C#...

master5001
09-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Psh... and give my pinky less excersize? I prefer to call it java since it requires less shifting...

CChakra
09-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Well ,Java is something which is unbeatable in servers-side and I don't care about acronyms.

robwhit
09-19-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't know if they named it after the Java island or the Java coffee bean or Java the main developer's grandniece's time-travelling clone, but it wasn't ever an acronym, and as such shouldn't be spelled JAVA. It's just Java.I think it's Java the coffee because that's what they use for their logo.

VirtualAce
09-19-2008, 09:04 PM
...or because you can drink the entire cup before your app runs?

j/k

No truth to it but I couldn't resist.

CChakra
09-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Everybody complains Java is slow but some benchmarks have proved that Java is nearly
as fast as c++.And Jvm is improving every year.

People says Java is easier than c++ ,I deny that because you have to memorize rules and
specifications of lengthy APIs.Java is ever-increasing ,I think I will spend my whole life reading
Apis and practicing frameworks.

C++ is most surprising language.When I use it as back-end it's nothing but evil ,too frustrating.
Only graphics and game programming are amusing in C++ and the rest is pathetic.

The good thing of this language is once you know the pros and cons of it , you can learn any programming language without any master.

best regards,
Chakra

master5001
09-22-2008, 04:28 PM
>C++ is most surprising language.When I use it as back-end it's nothing but evil ,too frustrating.
Only graphics and game programming are amusing in C++ and the rest is pathetic.

Some of my absolutely finest work of all time had no GUI element. Which is true for many if not most of us here. That is not to say GUIs are inferior to a command line model, rather I just would hate to consider a command line program obsolete or pathetic. Perhaps something is being lost in translation though. So I won't be too hard on you.