PDA

View Full Version : Jurrasic Park

Pages : [1] 2

herWter
09-03-2008, 10:35 AM
That title should probably grab your attention. If youve seen the movie Jurrasic Park you will know what I'm talking about. There that one bad guy who writes the program code for the park. In one part of the movie you actually see the screen and the code. What programming language is that? Will it really compile?

abachler
09-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I know the OS was Unix (as per statement by the girl), I think the code was java or C++

laserlight
09-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Java seems unlikely since the movie was released in 1993, but Java was released in 1995.

abachler
09-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Probably C/C++ then. I'd have to go bak and look at teh movie to tell for sure, i dont have a copy of it anymore.

whiteflags
09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't think it makes a difference either way if it would have compiled since that was actually used as a plot device. I'm surprised that they had enough confidence in beta to actually have dinosaurs secured there, though. I would have stuck with statues until at least version one. Then future development or (god forbid) patching would have been simple.

By the way this movie is a huge part of my childhood... so I know.

Salem
09-03-2008, 11:15 AM
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article09-127

CornedBee
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
The computer class in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" uses C++ with MFC.

herWter
09-03-2008, 11:44 AM
>>Probably C/C++ then. I'd have to go bak and look at teh movie to tell for sure, i dont have a copy of it anymore.

One thing I did notice is that there were no semi-colons at the end of each line. I would guess an older language, maybe Cobol or Fortran(never seen code from either language).

>>By the way this movie is a huge part of my childhood... so I know.

You have know idea how much I loved Jurrasic Park as a kid. NO IDEA!(Why I was so interested in this)

>>The computer class in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" uses C++ with MFC.

I loved that show as a kid too(kind've gay to admit). Which episode was that?

CornedBee
09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Uh ... something from the first season. Pretty early - second or third episode, I'd say.

abachler
09-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I'd go rent it but blockbuster charges full price for old releases now, so theres no reason to rent them. I mean why pay half as much to rent as it costs tobuy...

lruc
09-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I tried finding it free on the internet but the picture is so bad I couldn't even read the screen.

herWter
09-03-2008, 12:51 PM
It's on tv sometimes. Maybe I'll watch it a year from now and remember this post.

abachler
09-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I used to have all 3 of them on tape, but i lent it to someones kids and of course never saw it again lol.

whiteflags
09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
So when will your version of Jurassic Park be open hw? :p You're obviously writing the code.

foxman
09-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I once read it uses ADA. Don't know if it's right...

I do have a VHS cassette of the movie here...

VirtualAce
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
I think all of us could make a good deal of money if we put together a Hollywood-esque program that had pretty displays and cool sounds. It wouldn't even have to be stable since it's only on-screen for a few seconds.

For some odd reason Hollywood insists that every password program has some cool sound effects when windows pop up. They also insist that everything requires at least 100 keystrokes before anything constructive happens...yet we are far into the age of the mouse. I guess Hollywood loves pretty GUIs that are keyboard driven.

My favorite is stuff like the Matrix where some guy is looking at hexadecimal digits fly past his eyeballs at 100 mph and yet manages to make some comment that something is not right about the system. Like he can interpret hex that fast to actually figure out what the heck is going on.

Or take CSI where they have these super photo enhancers. They can take a cell phone pic and enhance it to reveal details that um...weren't in the data in the first place. I'd really like to know how you manufacture pixel data from no data at all. There was a recent episode where they took a telephone recording and broke it into several crystal clear audio tracks of the isolated sounds in the recording. Yeah right. I've never seen software that could take a completely mixed track/waveform and extract in crystal clear fashion each individual sound and voice.

zacs7
09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Anyway, speaking of JP -- the new one is coming out soon!

My fav would be the 2nd stargate movie (or the 1st newest one), the replicators are programmed in javascript :)

They can take a cell phone pic and enhance it to reveal details that um...weren't in the data in the first place. I'd really like to know how you manufacture pixel data from no data at all. There was a recent episode where they took a telephone recording and broke it into several crystal clear audio tracks of the isolated sounds in the recording. Yeah right. I've never seen software that could take a completely mixed track/waveform and extract in crystal clear fashion each individual sound and voice.
which makes you think... what exactly *do* the police have?

arpsmack
09-03-2008, 06:11 PM
53:37 into the movie. I have xvid though, and can't make out the text. Doesn't look like any language I'm familiar with. Although the comments look like they might be # signs, so maybe PERL!!! It only makes sense for Jurassic Park to run on the language of the gods.

Lol I thought I'd share this as well.
Notice the progress bar (which was moving during this scene) even though this was a real-time conversation between Nedry and the guy on the dock...

By the way one of my favorite code scenes in a movie is in Antitrust, when Tim Robbins gives the main character some code, and he brings it up on the screen. After a couple seconds of looking at it, he exclaims, "Wow, this is really good compression!" (or something like that). My friend and I paused the movie and looked at it, and if memory serves, it was some Java code that had nothing to do with compression (but that was years ago).

master5001
09-03-2008, 06:31 PM
I am not finding a solid release date for the HD version of Jurassic Park on Blu-ray either... But when it is released, perhaps we can see that code yet!

abachler
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
There is software that can seperate out the voices and sounds, although the other soudns usualyl bleed through to some extent. There isnt anything that can magically recrete pixel data. Although there is a lot that you can do with interpolation that will enhance the image by using data your brain was just ignoring. This enhancement isnt admissible in court though because it is easily manipulated to get the image you want.

QuantumPete
09-04-2008, 01:55 AM
What actually annoys me the most in films is when the they type hundreds of words without any sort of feedback on the screen (Like in Goldeneye). These people are apparently super human and can type 180 words a minute without a single typo (not to mention the lack of spaces).

QuantumPete

CornedBee
09-04-2008, 02:28 AM
This language uses begin and end to delimit blocks. Some Basic or Pascal dialect, perhaps?

matsp
09-04-2008, 02:38 AM
This language uses begin and end to delimit blocks. Some Basic or Pascal dialect, perhaps?

Or Ada as suggested earlier. In the 1990's, ADA was one of The Languages to use.

Edit: However, Ada uses -- as a comment, so perhaps not...

--
Mats

zacs7
09-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Perhaps it's not even real... there's no reason for it to be so. Not like there is an island with dinosaurs on it, or is there?

Anyway, I think it kinda looks like Forth.

matsp
09-04-2008, 02:48 AM
Perhaps it's not even real... there's no reason for it to be so. Not like there is an island with dinosaurs on it, or is there?

Indeed, it could be a made up language as well, using a hodgepodge of different languages.

--
Mats

zacs7
09-04-2008, 02:56 AM
As I mentioned before, the stargate replicators are programmed in javascript... I found a screenshot.

What's funny is, the javascript can be found on the internet... :)

8383 (http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Stargate-Code-of-the-Replicators.aspx)

maxorator
09-04-2008, 05:03 AM

IF ???????????????? THEN
BEGIN
REPEAT ??
??????????????????
UNTIL ?????????
# ??????????
# ??????????
# ??????????
END
ELSE
BEGIN
???????
# ??????????
# ??????????
END

And isn't it all in a WHILE ... DO statement?

Anyway, seems to be simply Pascal.

matsp
09-04-2008, 06:17 AM
IF ???????????????? THEN
BEGIN
REPEAT ??
??????????????????
UNTIL ?????????
# ??????????
# ??????????
# ??????????
END
ELSE
BEGIN
???????
# ??????????
# ??????????
END

And isn't it all in a WHILE statement?

Anyway, seems to be simply Pascal.

REPEAT UNTIL is definitely Pascal (although it may also be in ADA.

I think the lines marked # are actually something like

x := ...

Which again is Pascal.

--
Mats

maxorator
09-04-2008, 06:23 AM
So...

WHILE ?????????????? DO
IF ???????????????? THEN
BEGIN
REPEAT ??
??????????????????
UNTIL ?????????
x^ := ????????
x := ???????
x := ???????
END
ELSE
BEGIN
???????
x := ??????
x := ??????
END

http://www.sciflicks.com/jurassic_park/facts.html

The park software is written in Pascal; a program is clearly visible in one of the monitor close-ups on the UNIX system. The graphical interface recognized as a UNIX system is Silicon Graphics' "3D File System Navigator".

zacs7
09-04-2008, 07:00 AM
The newest Jurassic park (IV) is probably going to be written in some managed language, perhaps C#? Or continue the tradition, and ... Visual Basic

No doubt that's how the dinosaurs will get out :p

anon
09-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Oh come on, why don't you just enhance the image before making guesses! :)

abachler
09-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, the replicator's are probably programmed in some direct machine language, and what we see is just the decompiled equivelant. The series likes to use outdated langauges, such as one scene where it showed Carter's bookshelf and she has a book on using Clipper to access databases.

master5001
09-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't know what is scarier, the prospect of a world overrun with replicators, or the fate of species across multiple galaxies being powered by JavaScript.

abachler
09-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Well, like i said, if it were reality it would just be the decompiled code, which isnt necessarily what it was written in. You can compile a program in C/C++ and then decompile it in java, ada, cobol whatever. Personally I couldnt care what its written is, as long as I get to see Amanda Tappings hot bod :) She is the sexiest actress alive IMO.

master5001
09-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Haha she is cute. Especially now that she is sporting longer hair again.

maxorator
09-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Well, like i said, if it were reality it would just be the decompiled code, which isnt necessarily what it was written in. You can compile a program in C/C++ and then decompile it in java, ada, cobol whatever. Personally I couldnt care what its written is, as long as I get to see Amanda Tappings hot bod :) She is the sexiest actress alive IMO.
Modern decompilers aren't that good yet...

SlyMaelstrom
09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
My favorite is stuff like the Matrix where some guy is looking at hexadecimal digits fly past his eyeballs at 100 mph and yet manages to make some comment that something is not right about the system. Like he can interpret hex that fast to actually figure out what the heck is going on.
Glad to hear someone else finally making this point.

"The matrix is WAY too much information for these computers to decode... but my human brain does it just fine."

Originally, when I saw that scene I assumed he was kidding about reading it and was just being witty. If you remember the only other time they watch people inside of the matrix or a similar program before that scene... it was when they all crowded around Neo and Morpheus fighting. That time however, it seemed they have some sort of video conversion of it. (I suppose because it was a smaller program than the matrix.

master5001
09-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Part of the whole sci-fi experience is not taking things overly seriously. Its fantasy based on science. Not a mirror of reality. At least some (http://nmap.org/movies.html#matrix) things in the matrix are a little more feasible.

maxorator
09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
"The matrix is WAY too much information for these computers to decode... but my human brain does it just fine."
Human brain would in fact be able to decode more than a computer - it just can't concentrate on one thing. Brain does millions of different things, so it's like in a computer where you're running a million threads - each of them separately isn't that powerful at all.

master5001
09-05-2008, 01:38 PM
maxorator makes a valid point. We are more apt for completing the task of being a peeping tom by reading The Matrix' encoded streams speeding by, however we just fundamentally lack the ability to specialize in doing any one of our millions of simultaneous threads in order to actually usefully interpret data in that way... On the other hand, the world is destroyed, the only thing they have to do during the day is get good at reading the streams...

abachler
09-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Glad to hear someone else finally making this point.

Originally, when I saw that scene I assumed he was kidding about reading it and was just being witty. If you remember the only other time they watch people inside of the matrix or a similar program before that scene... it was when they all crowded around Neo and Morpheus fighting. That time however, it seemed they have some sort of video conversion of it. (I suppose because it was a smaller program than the matrix.

They cant decode the matrix because the program that decodes it works for the matrix. They can decode their training program because its an isolated system.

BTW, the original idea wasnt that they use us for power, but that they execute their code in our brains, which is what gives us the advantage over the machine.

CornedBee
09-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Which is considerably more reasonable than the "human perpetuum mobile" nonsense they finally used in the movie.

master5001
09-05-2008, 02:04 PM
What? Do you mean that pod people aren't a viable form of energy? For shame!

I always wondered how they went about reproducing us during all of this. However, the fact that of all the plot holes to fixate on, I choose the reproduction aspect seems to speak volumes of where my attention span goes once I find a movie implausible.

SlyMaelstrom
09-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Human brain would in fact be able to decode more than a computer - it just can't concentrate on one thing. Brain does millions of different things, so it's like in a computer where you're running a million threads - each of them separately isn't that powerful at all.This is way, way left field from the point... there is no definite evidence of what we could do assuming we could process only "a single thread" if you will at one time... however that's beyond the point. We can't do that and therefore the idea is silly.
They cant decode the matrix because the program that decodes it works for the matrix. They can decode their training program because its an isolated system.

BTW, the original idea wasnt that they use us for power, but that they execute their code in our brains, which is what gives us the advantage over the machine.I don't know about that. I mean it seemed the Nebuchadnezzar and all of the other Xion hubs were ripping the code from the matrix similar to a way that a disassembler works and that they were entering the matrix in the same way that a disassembler would poke values into the code stream. Now... if they can take this code and display it on their terminals... and then read the code while decoding it in their head... I don't see why they couldn't write an application that takes the code as input, decodes it, and outputs the image. Anyway, I don't see anyway for me to have this discussion without having to break it down to something more simplistic than it would have to be to actually work. I think trying to explain the Matrix in detail would be like trying to explain the existence of god.

Anyway, I also think it would have been a better idea with humans being code processors rather than batteries. I think I've read somewhere that given the daily caloric consumption of an at rest body (Your BMR)... if you do the math the average body only generates about 100-120W. That's pretty crappy if you're looking to run a giant machine. When you think about it... it's probably not even enough to run the machines that were keeping them alive.

Yarin
09-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Replicators written in JavaScript? Those producers need fired, re-hired, then fired again!

>> The series likes to use outdated langauges,
So use assembly. :D Not that it's outdated, it's just old, and would be the best looking, and most realistic thing.

master5001
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
If you are going to flash a quick screen on TV, I think its a better executive decision to do something like the JavaScript replicators than to have actual code that may look like it does something that people will disect and argue with on fan sites.

robwhit
09-05-2008, 05:17 PM
hey geeks. you're all wrong because morpheus specifically said it was a training program, not the matrix.

gosh...

abachler
09-05-2008, 05:19 PM
If you are going to flash a quick screen on TV, I think its a better executive decision to do something like the JavaScript replicators than to have actual code that may look like it does something that people will disect and argue with on fan sites.

Umm, actually its better to do it the other way, because having fans arguing about your code is free advertising.

SlyMaelstrom
09-05-2008, 06:18 PM
hey geeks. you're all wrong because morpheus specifically said it was a training program, not the matrix.

gosh...I think just about everyone who commented on the subject said that. :)

*pats you on the head*

Umm, actually its better to do it the other way, because having fans arguing about your code is free advertising.
This whole "It's javascript!" topic is free advertising too, is it not?

robwhit
09-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I think just about everyone who commented on the subject said that. :)

*pats you on the head*really? I don't see it!

edit: I see it. doh.