PDA

View Full Version : OS Reality

vasanth
02-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Ok guys what ever you say.... Linux securit,stability blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Nothin can beat WIndows user freindlyness .. Does linux recognizes your scaner when you plug it in.. Does linux have wizards to make your life simpler.. Nothing... May be it is best suited for servers.. not desktop surely.. RED HAT Chairman himself has explained why linux cant take over windows on Desktops... Well give this a second thought.. Why are we linux maniacs.. It is just because we dont want a monopoly. But if it is good use it.

-KEN-
02-09-2002, 12:06 PM
Oh looky, another thread to be closed! Let's exert some pre-emptive modding on this worthless post...please?

SilentStrike
02-09-2002, 02:55 PM
To each their own.

Install Mandrake 8.1 and whatever the easiest to install windows version is, and I think you'll see that the windows version requires a lot more user input and more reboots than Mandrake.

The red hat chairmen want's red hat to refocus, from an area that has already been saturated by windows. His arguement is anagalous to the following, good luck getting Americans to convert to the metric system, despite the standard here requiring knowing that there are 5280 feet in a mile, and 16 oz in a quart, etc, clearly an inferior system, yet something that will probably never be replaced.

That said, linux really is pretty user friendly. Both KDE and Gnome provide newbie-friendly enviroments. I doubt you would find a mac much easier to use than a system with KDE, if you had experience with neither.

doubleanti
02-09-2002, 03:16 PM
>post...please?

well actually... he does have a point, and supports it... so to each his own...

personally i've never used linux tho everyone says i should try it... so i wouldn't know. and it's not like i do anything really important [to anyone besides myself at least]... so... and besides wouldn't it be a pain to find drivers and ported programs for linux for all my stuff anyway? well anyway... i guess some would cling to it for the sake of not having a monopoly... that's kinda the same reason i cling to dos... hehe... ::dodges tomatoes::... and to each his/her own...

Hillbillie
02-09-2002, 04:02 PM
>Let's exert some pre-emptive modding on this worthless post...please?<

Hehe, I see you've made it to Ch. 3. :D

Brian
02-09-2002, 05:08 PM
I downloaded linux on my 56k modem then burned it onto two CD's. It was well worth the download. (4 days on and off)

Deckard
02-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by vasanth
Ok guys what ever you say.... Linux securit,stability blah blah

Windows does offer an enormous amount of tools to encapsulate technical aspects. If you want to use a computer without understanding it, it is hard to beat Windows. I enjoy Linux and other POSIX operating systems because of the flexibility they offer. This flexibility comes at a cost of having to manage many details a Microsoft customer would not have to know about, let alone deal with.

You sir, are an ideal Windows user. Windows has spelling and grammar checks to prevent you from looking uneducated in some written forms of correspondance. Unfortunately for you, vBulletin has yet to add those features.

The key difference between your opinion and mine is that my opinion comes from a person who is proficient in both Windows and Linux.

Cheers,

klausi
02-10-2002, 03:09 PM
The key point is that there are still to less Open-Source developer.
Thatīs why there are still some things which arenīt supportet by Linux.

In Linux you can do every setting you want. If you know what you wanna do itīs the better way than the one of Microsoft.
You donīt have to chose between many settings in Windows, but you canīt really know what your it does.

klausi

tim545666
02-10-2002, 03:27 PM
Linux is a pain in the ass. I tried Mandrake, and not only did I have no idea what to do, there is very little software to use. If you actually have the time to learn or the need for Linux, form what I heard it's a good choice. If you are dumb or lazy (like me), stick with Windows.

DrakkenKorin
02-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by tim545666
If you are dumb or lazy (like me), stick with Windows.

Preach on ma Brotha!

Another lazy dumbass who loves windows!

:D

Justin W
02-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Another reason not to use Red Hat / Mandrake..

SuSE 7.3 is easy to use, has great compatibility, easy to install, works fine with any plug and play I've thrown at it (scanner, digital camera, USB wireless mouse/keyboard)... don't use the nonstandard Red Hat and underlings, use a true Linux distro. Spend the $30 and get the four manuals that come with it.

;)

By the way, how do you pronounce Linux? lin, leen, line, or lother? Off topic...

-Justin

Note the 7.3 above. Don't judge Windows by 95, don't judge Linux by obsolete kernels either. By the way, I don't have anything (much) against Windows, I just usually find Linux more useful.

Yoshi
02-10-2002, 11:07 PM
who say it is friendly?

I tried to install my printer for 3 hours and it still can't detect my USB port! Is this your idea of friendliness? I am ........ed off at Windows and I am forced to use it! and Linux detects it right off the bat! (for your information, that means immediately.)

ygfperson
02-10-2002, 11:39 PM
i think its pronounced lin-ux.

dirkduck
02-11-2002, 01:46 AM
ive got a dual boot between windown 98 and redhat linux, and i dont know about everyone else, but for me setting up my interent connection under linux was much easier then windows. recently, windows decided for my printer not to work..but linux likes it. Also, yes windows is more user friendly, but I care more about power then user friendliness

oh yeah, i used to pronounce it line-ux (a long time ago), until i learned that the correct way was lin-ux ;)

klausi
02-11-2002, 11:32 AM
Hi!
Linus Torvalds spells it "leenux".
Itīs the same pronounciation like in German.

klausi

Deckard
02-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Justin W
By the way, how do you pronounce Linux? lin, leen, line, or lother?ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/PEOPLE/Linus/SillySounds/english.au

Now you know ;)

Brian
02-11-2002, 01:21 PM
LOL, thanks deck. You solved one of life's great mysteries.

vasanth
02-13-2002, 10:32 AM
Ok if you are all right, in Supporting Linux.. Why is it that majority of computer users around the world use Windows.. Almost everyone wont use it because it is ****, dumb or anything.... Linux is hard to use .. I am not saying linux is Dumb... What i mean to say is that Linux is not fit for a desktop.. But i do agree that it's the best for a server...

Troll_King
02-13-2002, 10:56 AM
Personally I don't have any reason to use Linux. I can do everything with Microsoft Windows including running the most powerful enterprise servers. Look into MCSE to learn what your operating system can really do.

vasanth
02-13-2002, 10:57 AM
I agree with you

Deckard
02-13-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by vasanth
What i mean to say is that Linux is not fit for a desktop.. But i do agree that it's the best for a server... I almost agree ;)

I think that Linux is fit for the desktop, but Linux just doesn't have what it takes to be a leader in the desktop realm. However, I feel Linux is hard to be beat in a server environment.

Why should you (or anyone) run Linux at home? I can think of a couple of reasons. One is that it is a great way to learn *nix and the details of TCP/IP and their related services (DHCP, DNS, etc). Another reason is it allows control of your system at a very detailed level. This would be useful if you had a need to do something Windows won't allow you to do (raw sockets, for example).

If you tried Linux and you didn't like it, or you don't see a benefit in running Linux, you should certainly run something else. On the other hand, let's not run out and bash a perfectly good operating system just because it doesn't suit your particular needs. :)

klausi
02-13-2002, 11:07 AM
Linux is fit for the desktop! Especially the new Gnome desktop is very powerful.
But there are still to less applications and drivers for Linux.
This is why there arenīt so many Linux user for desktops yet.

klausi

adrianxw
02-13-2002, 12:16 PM
>>> Linux is fit for the desktop!

Not when my customers specify a Windows based solution in their tender documents. No Windows = non-compliant = no contract.

Invincible
02-13-2002, 02:49 PM
What free Linux OS would everyone reccomend for a beginning Linux user? And how hard would it be to set up a dual boot system? I have 2 drives. One would contian Win95, the other, Linux.

Also, how does Linux compare to Unix?

Deckard
02-13-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by invincible
What free Linux OS would everyone reccomend for a beginning Linux user?I would recommend the Red Hat distro for anyone brand new to Linux. Red Hat comes with numerous additional utilities that can help a beginner, such as 'setsound'. I also hear good things about Mandrake, but I don't have any experience with that flavor. Perhaps someone else could chime in on that.

Also, how does Linux compare to Unix? In my opinion, Linux and Unix are remarkably similar. I spend my weekdays on HP/UX and my weekends on Linux. With the exception of a few differences in file locations (startup scripts, etc), they have the same look and feel.

Troll_King
02-13-2002, 05:40 PM
There is nothing that Linux can do that Windows can't do and infact Windows can do a lot more. If you want the source code for Windows than you just need a special licence. I think that the big difference is that some people with no money turn to Linux.

ggs
02-13-2002, 05:57 PM
with the exception of troll king (and a few others), most lunix bashers never really have seemed to have used lunix (perhaps some have installed and failed.)

instead, they just stick by winblows... btw, I do use winblowsme.

and then there are the openbs freaks....

and some people have no argument whatsoever...

I like both operating systems, really... it's hard to bash one down completely, or even just say 'it's only good for such and such...'

btw, lunix is no longer hardcore. instead, many seem to see it as lame.. I guess you need to do something more crazy to be a rebel os user.. ;)

Ken Fitlike
02-13-2002, 06:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What free Linux OS would everyone reccomend for a beginning Linux user?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- and

I would recommend the Red Hat distro for anyone brand new to Linux. Red Hat comes with numerous additional utilities that can help a beginner, such as 'setsound'. I also hear good things about Mandrake, but I don't have any experience with that flavor. Perhaps someone else could chime in on that.

Ah! Where was your helpful advice when I asked this last week in the Linux forum? ;) Cheers anyway, i've taken a note. Perhaps this particular question+ answers can be added to a FAQ?

And if you don't mind me asking, Deckard, would you care to express any opinions on Debian Linux?

novacain
02-13-2002, 09:01 PM
>>Windows won't allow you to do (raw sockets, for example).

Not so true anymore with XP and 2000 both fitted with raw sockets.

Only XP has no restictions (priveliges) so all apps have root level access.
Now we can all run 'timato' bots.

Good one M$.
Bottom line, most PC users don't want / need to know the way the OS / PC works as long as it does and they don't have to click their mouse more times than absolutely needed.

Unregistered
02-13-2002, 09:50 PM
>>Look into MCSE to learn what your operating system can really do

I thought they gave those away with every happy meal at mcdonalds??

But for real I like to know what my os does which I never be to sure with windows. I remeber having a windows computer serve as both my gateway and server and had to restart it almost daily until I replaced it with linux which took a good 10 minutes to setup and haven't needed a restart since.

SilentStrike
02-13-2002, 09:54 PM
Debian supposedly has the hardest of the major distros to install, but the apt system for upgrading software is the best availible (gets dependencies for you.. nothing better than that).

tim545666
02-13-2002, 10:01 PM
I gave Mandrake a try, and I didn't like it. It started up much slower than Windows 95 and a little slower than Win2K. But I really didn't see much of a difference between it and Win2K. All I saw was a CRAPPY KNOCK OFF OF WINDOWS. I think Red Hat is supposed to be better. The only way I would use Mandrake would be if I was broke and stupid (too broke for Windows and too stupid for a real flavor of Linux).

SilentStrike
02-13-2002, 10:19 PM
Heh, what makes mandrake fake?

tim545666
02-13-2002, 10:24 PM
Did I say it was fake?

Nutshell
02-14-2002, 12:46 AM
ive got a dual boot between windown 98 and redhat linux, and i dont know about everyone else, but for me setting up my interent connection under linux was much easier then windows.

I agree that internet connection is harder and more confusing to setup in win98. But in win2k and xp, it takes 1 minute to get it to work and 2 minutes to realise it.

SilentStrike
02-14-2002, 12:13 PM
"too stupid for a real flavor of Linux"

!real == fake

tim545666
02-14-2002, 07:57 PM
That's not what I meant. It's supposed to be the version for newbies, which would make it different than the rest. It doesn't stand up to the reputation Linux has for being customizable and such.

Unregistered
02-14-2002, 08:10 PM
What are you guys talking about, Linux rules!

Troll_King
02-14-2002, 08:11 PM
I agree.

itld
02-14-2002, 08:50 PM
howdy,
i have refrained from entering another M$ or *nix bash....but...
have any of you windose folks ever had to fix a registry - its not to tough to recover a linux system but windose registries will give even a good geek problems.

M.R.

RH is it!!

SilentStrike
02-15-2002, 01:03 AM
Mandrake is still a flavor of linux. It's simply easy to set up and get doing things with. Mandrake doesn't shield the internals of the system from you, it simply makes it so that it isn't neccesary to know them to use the system... thats the way it should be IMO.