PDA

View Full Version : July 9 2008 MS XP Update

VirtualAce
07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
After spending time on the phone to my DSL provider and attempting to fix my internet connection problem I decided to uninstall the recent Microsoft update. As my computer was starting back up, tech support actually answered my call (it ook 40 min to get a person). By that time I already realized that my modem lights were indicating I had good connection and sure enough my internet started working again. Tech support said they have been swamped since the update came out.

The recent Microsoft update messed up a lot of people's security software or at least how it operates and communicated with XP. This caused a great number of people to completely lose their internet connection. You can still ping from the command line but IE will not work.

So if you have the recent update which you prob don't if you are here, or if you are looking to install it um....don't.

Thought I'd post here to save people some possible future headaches.

UPDATE:
http://www.entropiaforum.com/forums/security/119150-defective-conflicting-update-xp-released-9-july-2008-a.html

According to this forum this only affects Zone Alarm users. I have a hard time believing that given the volume of calls into tech support today.

For ZoneAlarm users:
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

Elysia
07-10-2008, 12:40 AM
This is one of the reasons I never install any new updates from Microsoft.
And I'd rather not until a service packs comes out, if ever.
Updates breaks things. It's not new.

I wonder if new firewalls will require this update or work on legacy machines, too.

whiteflags
07-10-2008, 06:18 AM
I installed it and it works fine and I don't use Zone Alarm.

*shrug*

Mario F.
07-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Yes, same here. Gave it a shot and didn't create any problems. Using Comodo PF.

EDIT: ZoneAlarm has an interesting way (http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/pr_6.html) of acknowledging this to have been a problem on their end. They have a fix, though. But... I don't know... maybe it's time you start considering an alternative.

abachler
07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
The only problem i had with the update was it forked up my color scheme, well, not realyl forked, it just changed the tone slightly. This is only on my home system, wiht an LCD monitor, it didnt do anything ta work, so perhaps its just the LCD driver.

maxorator
07-10-2008, 11:10 AM
This is one of the reasons I never install any new updates from Microsoft.
And I'd rather not until a service packs comes out, if ever.
Updates breaks things. It's not new.

I wonder if new firewalls will require this update or work on legacy machines, too.
Updates only break things that rely on undefined functionality. It's because both antiviruses and viruses use the exact same techniques. Can't blame MS for trying to kill some viruses.

Elysia
07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Regardless of whose blame it is, I don't want it if it breaks my computer.
And I'm not blaming anyone. Patches are complicated stuff.
At least when service packs come around, they tend to work well.

abachler
07-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Found another 'feature'. Graphedit can no longer connect to remote graphs. They no longer show up when enumerating the filtergraphs, so you can no loner analyze your DirectShow programs to troubleshoot bugs. Thanks alot M$, wtf is that all about.

Mario F.
07-11-2008, 08:11 AM
I removed the damn thing just in case.
And I got my Kubuntu CD today from Canonical. Oh, the irony!

abachler
07-11-2008, 08:20 AM
I still have to play with ubuntu this weekend I suppose.

maxorator
07-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Interesting how many topics end up with Linux discussions lately.

Anyway, I'm getting used to my Ubuntu. I can even play my favourite games on it - OpenTTD and Warsow. Also, my main tool, IDA, works with Wine. So on some days when I mess less with my Windows-related projects I am using Ubuntu.

cyberfish
07-17-2008, 10:44 PM
And I got my Kubuntu CD today from Canonical. Oh, the irony!

Wow. I heard they take months to ship or something. Is that true?

I have personally never tried it, since I have a 300+kb/s connection (4 hrs for a DVD image), and blank disks are dirt cheap :).

Mario F.
07-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Took only 2 weeks to arrive here.