PDA

View Full Version : Windshield cracks



Govtcheez
02-08-2002, 09:38 AM
On my drive into work yesterday, I got nailed with a rock kicked up by some truck and it cracked my car's windshield. I looked at it whe I got to work, and the crack was about an inch long. Since then, it's grown to be about 3-4 inches. Why do cracks just keep expanding? Is there any way to stop the damn thing, or should I just write it off and go get a new windshield?

ober
02-08-2002, 09:50 AM
go get a new one... it won't stop til it gets to an edge. :(

that's one reason i hate your state... i hear stories of that crap up there ALL the time.. i don't get it... what is it about ... oh yeah, your road crews suck ass...

Govtcheez
02-08-2002, 09:52 AM
> oh yeah, your road crews suck ass...

Hey - I'm not gonna make any denials about that... Our weird weather plays quite a role in that, though...

Stoned_Coder
02-08-2002, 10:18 AM
you can repair windscreens. Any windscreen company should also offer a repair service for chips and cracks.

Govtcheez
02-08-2002, 10:21 AM
<evil Burns voice>Excellent</evil Burns voice>

What? "evil Burns voice" isn't a valid HTML tag? What a ripoff...

adrianxw
02-08-2002, 11:26 AM
>>> also offer a repair service for chips and cracks.

That's illegal here.

Govtcheez
02-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Come again? Why would that be illegal?

basilisk
02-08-2002, 11:50 AM
here you can get the crack fixed if its under a certain size and shape (they use some form of resin) but once its gone over an inch or so (and dependant on where on the windscreen it is) then it'll probably have to be new windscreen time (i lost 3 windscreens in 6 months last year - and for my car thats not cheap)

~Barjor
02-08-2002, 12:15 PM
In most newer cars the windshield is a load bearing part for the roof. If you get a crack in it and get it repair the windshield will stil be weaker then the designer intended it to be. The structure of the car is compromissed. There for it is and should be illegal to repair any cracks. Now I am pretty sure tha a snal crack wouldn't really make a huge difference but ....

Govtcheez
02-08-2002, 12:16 PM
That makes sense, Barjor... It's a small crack now, but I don't know how much longer it will be... Might as well go to the shop while I have time, then...

golfinguy4
02-08-2002, 01:50 PM
I wish I had your problem. Now that I think of it I wish I had a car or a license.

Govtcheez
02-08-2002, 01:54 PM
> I wish I had your problem.

I wish you did, too :)

DrakkenKorin
02-08-2002, 04:07 PM
This has happened to me before. This is what I did:

After the incidious rock did crack my windshield and after I stopped cussing at the driver I sped up and got the phone number from the "big rig". Pulled off to the side of the road and called their office. Proceeded to tell them that one of thier vehicles was throwing gravel around and it broke my windsheild. The receptionist told me that there was no way I can prove that it was their vehicle that cause the gravel to strike my windshield.

Well it just so happens that the guy I was dating was a lawyer. So I called him up and told him. Well its amazing what you can get if you say you are a lawyer and are representing someone on a possible suit.

Final result - the trucking company paid for the replacement windshield. :D

Govtcheez
02-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Couple interesting things gained from this reply...

1)Drakken's a girl! Woohoo!
2)Drakken's sig's spelled wrong...

-KEN-
02-08-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Couple interesting things gained from this reply...

1)Drakken's a girl! Woohoo!
2)Drakken's sig's spelled wrong...

I still think drakken's a guy...we'll just have to find out :)

Heh, that's pretty funny, too...

Soemthing else that's funny: I could swear that drakken said he was a pagen...anyone care to read his sig?

DrakkenKorin
02-08-2002, 08:50 PM
Score 3 points for -KEN-

Sorry cheez, your 1st, (I wont say a$$umption), conclusion is incorrect. I'll give you a point for the 2nd one. Only because technically the sig is spelled wrong, but more to the point, read it backwards.

:eek:

Govtcheez
02-08-2002, 08:56 PM
No - you can say assumption... I made an ass out of myself... Sorry :) (damn anonymity (sp?))

Anywho-
> but more to the point, read it backwards.

Yeah, I did - you spelled those as "htose"

-KEN-
02-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Not only that, but you spelled "Themselves" wrong...

And wahoo! I always know a gay guy when I...erhm...can't say meet, huh? Well you know what I mean...

Anyhow, a pagen mentioning God helping people...strikes me as a bit odd.

DrakkenKorin
02-08-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
...Yeah, I did - you spelled those as "htose" ..

What I was trying to do was to save people the trouble of having to pronounce words that had unnatural letter placement. Had I reversed the placement of all the phonemes of "those" it would have become "esoht". It would have been a nightmare to attempt to pronounce. Is the 'h' silent? Is the 'e' or 'o' inflected or silent?

So to avoid this and to make it easier to pronounce, I left the morpheme 'th' alone, making the new arrangment "esoth" --> ess - o (as in off) - th

:confused:

DrakkenKorin
02-08-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
Not only that, but you spelled "Themselves" wrong...
Anyhow, a pagen mentioning God helping people...strikes me as a bit odd.

You talking about that 'Th'? If you are I tried explaining about that, though I may not have been very clear.

As for the whole meaning of the quote: I was basically poking fun at the idea that in order to lead a model christian life, one should be selfless and help others, the whole love thy neighbor thing. So I came to a conclusion. Its now my sig. I'm getting tired of it. Think I'll come up with something new.

:mad:

adrianxw
02-09-2002, 04:10 AM
>>> Come again? Why would that be illegal?

I don't know, it just is. We used to have these things fixed, but now it is always replaced. I would guess, like so many other things, it makes more money for the government somehow.