PDA

View Full Version : Desktop streaming programs, know of any?

indigo0086
06-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I find myself sometimes wanting to know how something is done or I would help my friend with something for a program but it's hard to do it over IM or phone. After about a half hour of helping a friend with a gui thing yesterday I wondered if there are free programs to stream what is captured on your screen live. It would be great if it had text input as well.

Elysia
06-18-2008, 09:59 AM
TightVNC is a remote desktop program.
It allows you to only view the screen, as well.
It's free, but unfortunately have no text input (but you could use IM for that).

whiteflags
06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
I guess you could try something like www.gotomeeting.com as well.

BMJ
06-18-2008, 10:25 AM
If it's Windows you could try Remote Assistance.

abachler
06-19-2008, 03:23 PM
We use Ultra-VNC www.uvnc.com (http://www.uvnc.com)

We routinely log into computers across the country to check on our applications, it gives you direct access to their desktop as if it were your own.

Neo1
06-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I use UltraVNC between my primary rig and my NAS/FTP rig, several times a day, works flawlessly and is free...

indigo0086
06-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't want remote desktop really, I want to allow the other client to interact with their computer at the same time I do mine

Elysia
06-19-2008, 05:23 PM
A lot of remote desktop software allows you to merely watch some one else's screen, without taking control.
Although it does it the other way around - ie the one you're helping must connect to you.
But then again, even if you could share the screen, your partner would still have to install a 3rd party solution, so I think it's the same.

And should you need to take control over the other computer, you have that option, as well, so I think remote desktop software fits perfectly.