PDA

View Full Version : VS.NET launch

Govtcheez
02-07-2002, 06:43 AM
Well, the date's approaching... Is anyone going to any of the launch events? There's on a half hour from my house on March 6th - I'm taking the day off work and going... Everyone attending gets a VS.NET trial DVD and there's door prizes, too (please say MSDN Universal subscription)

basilisk
02-07-2002, 06:50 AM
i've decided not to go to any launch events though i have had a couple of invites through the post (too much work not enough time) - i have been running the retail version of VS.NET enterprise for a couple of weeks now (only doing vb stuff in it unfortunately) so it doesnt matter anyhow..... i always find launch events a bit too ra-ra - though i enjoyed the windows 95 one

Govtcheez
02-07-2002, 06:57 AM
> i have been running the retail version of VS.NET enterprise for a couple of weeks now

How? Something with an MSDN subscription or something?

basilisk
02-07-2002, 07:00 AM
its been available to people with an MSDN universal subscription for a couple of weeks - definately the best subscription i have ever bought

nvoigt
02-07-2002, 10:16 AM
>How? Something with an MSDN subscription or something?

Yes, the final version is out for MSDN subscribers for download... one single 1.8 GB file for download. Or ISO images. I already installed it. It's nice. Our new project will probably be C#.

Govtcheez
02-07-2002, 10:18 AM
Have you noticed any significant differences between that and Beta 2? Like features that were crippled in the beta but aren't now?

-KEN-
02-07-2002, 04:07 PM
Hmm...My VB teacher asked me if I wanted to go to one that was up north somewhere...maybe an hour or two away. I told him no, though...maybe I should have said yes? :)

basilisk
02-07-2002, 04:51 PM
if its a freebie ken then you should go - there are usually some nice goodies handed around (hey i havent had to buy clothes in years after all the free t-shirts and sweatshirts i have accumulated)

nvoigt
02-08-2002, 01:13 AM
>Have you noticed any significant differences between that and Beta 2?

Not really. I have the enterprise architect version, which includes Visio. It's a little bit faster, a little bit nicer, but nothing really obvious.

We will use C# for our current Project. We are already 4 weeks into it, but I rewrote the whole thing in C# in two days while testing the language. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry.

The only thing I miss ( though not for work ) is a simple linked list. They have a bunch of collections, but no simple linked list. I need a priority queue ( linked list where you insert by sorting and only take and delete elements from the front, i.e. those with the highest sort order - highest priority ). There are Queues and sorted lists. Queues have no sorting and sorted lists don't allow duplicate keys. So I'll end up writing my own. But for pretty much everything else, they already have classes.