PDA

View Full Version : Do you drink coffee?

Pages : [1] 2

medievalelks
06-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Or other caffeinated drinks? I do. I'll proudly die an addict. Just try and take it away from me. I dare you.

;)

whiteflags
06-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm caffeinated. Have you tried anything like Red Bull? I wonder if it's any good.

SlyMaelstrom
06-04-2008, 02:17 PM
No coffee for me. Tea on occasions, but no coffee. If I need caffeine, I drink soda; Preferably Coca-Cola. I will drink Red Bull, occasionally, but usually with vodka.

brewbuck
06-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I drink way, way too much coffee. More out of habit than an actual need for caffeine. I don't get headaches or jitters if I don't have it. It just nags me at the back of my mind "Coffee... Coffee..."

I should switch to an herbal tea. Too bad I can't just drink beer at work.

Elysia
06-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I've never liked coffee, but tea isn't bad.

cboard_member
06-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I usually can't stand hot / warm / luke drinks. Ice cold or bust. The excpetions are when I'm viciously ill or so cold I could freeze... water. Or something.

95% of what I drink in a month is water (bottled & tap) the rest is whiskey and cola (mostly together).

Dino
06-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't like the taste or smell of coffee. Nasty.

I have a buddy who, several years ago when he and his wife were pumping out kids, had to make and drink his coffee in the garage every morning. When pregnant, his wife couldn't stand the smell coffee or she would hurl.

EDIT: I get my caffeine from candy bars, and my corn from a jar.

Daved
06-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Soda.

medievalelks
06-04-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm caffeinated. Have you tried anything like Red Bull? I wonder if it's any good.

Tastes like crap. Starbucks for me, iced tea when I don't feel like coffee. Arabic/Turkish coffee every once in a while.

Mario F.
06-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm a coffee type of person too. Drink from my faithful mugs and drink something like 5 to 7 mugs daily. Black, no sugar. I'm a man of bad habits...

Dun like fat though, or stand alcohol. I get drunk just from smelling it. I'm the laughingstock of me buddies. But they can't handle coffee as I do.

matsp
06-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Coke for me.

--
Mats

DavidP
06-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I love the smell of coffee.

But I have never drank any coffee. Never will.
I don't drink tea either. It's disgusting anyways.

An occasional coke.

I like juice the most honestly. Juice is awesome.

zacs7
06-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Can't stand tea, it's like drinking leaves in hot water -- oh wait!

Usually coke, or coffee out of our big fancy machine.

P4R4N01D
06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I drink coffee. coffee, coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee. I have also drunk V, but not red bull (this is occasionally though), V tastes pretty good from what I can remember. I drink coffee max once a week, I like it better than alcohol (Vodka only, hate the taste of wine or beer)

Yarin
06-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Coffee's good stuff! Why there are people who don't like it even around is a mystery to me.
Must be a birth defect. :D
I drink it often, but I'm not addicted... yet.

sand_man
06-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Since I quit smoking and drinking, I've been drinking far too much coffee.
It's got to the point where it's keeping me up at night...:eek:

Yarin
06-04-2008, 06:52 PM

I don't drink tea either. It's disgusting anyways.

An occasional coke.

I like juice the most honestly. Juice is awesome.
Yes, it is. Especially like V8 or just plain tomato juice. (It's expensive though)

My mom used to say the same thing about coffee as you do. Over the last 3 years, she likes it now. I'm guessing you would too.

sand_man
06-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Is that because of religeous reasons?

DavidP
06-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Is that because of religeous reasons?

bingo. Well...not 100%. part of it is for religious reasons. the other part is the fact that it is incredibly addicting and not that good for you.

Mario F.
06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
It was actually the smell of coffee beans that, according to what I read once, made people invent coffee. The objective was always to somehow distill that aroma into the taste. For that purpose coffee is one giant flop.

Yarin
06-04-2008, 07:35 PM
>> incredibly addicting
Not as much as you might think. Once for 3 weeks straight having 1-3 cups a day (she made the strong stuff too) and once I was home, I didn't touch coffee until a month after. And I never had withdraw.

What is the religious reason?

Yarin
06-04-2008, 07:36 PM
It was actually the smell of coffee beans that, according to what I read once, made people invent coffee. The objective was always to somehow distill that aroma into the taste. For that purpose coffee is one giant flop.
Yeah, well, warp drive was invented simply for the money, and it ended up being used to travel to the stars, and turned out flopless. :D:D

medievalelks
06-04-2008, 08:13 PM
bingo. Well...not 100%. part of it is for religious reasons. the other part is the fact that it is incredibly addicting and not that good for you.

Like all things, there is good and bad when it comes to coffee. Cheap coffee is terrible. I'll drink soda or tea if that's all that is available. Good, fresh coffee, on the other hand...on a crisp early autumn morning, by a still lake, with a line cast in the water, and a good dog by your side. Mmmmm....

And I'm not trying to pry, but what religion forbids coffee?

Yarin
06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
The Morons are forbidden to drink coffee or alcohol, they can't smoke either.

Your not Moron are you David?

Dino
06-04-2008, 09:10 PM

I think you meant "Mormon"

psychopath
06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I pretty much only drink coffee when necessary (essays, exam prep, etc). I drink at least 4 cups of tea per day on average though (three teaspoons of sugar, enough milk to fill the rest of the cup up).

Red Bull is pretty awesome too, but I prefer that mountain dew branded stuff if I'm looking for an energy drink. It's pretty decent mixed with gin from what I remember too.

laserlight
06-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I love coffee. I also like tea. I also like water :)

As for alcohol, I dislike beer, though I love wine. Heheh.

abachler
06-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Coffee coffee coffee.....

Hot warm cold, sat out overnight, its all good.

I like it so strong you have to eat it with a fork.

azerej
06-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Hot or cold, brewed or in can, spiked or black... I love coffee.

(::)
06-05-2008, 12:01 AM
NO. I do not drink coffee.
Only raw milk. And fresh fruit juice. And a lot of water.

P4R4N01D
06-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Coffee's good stuff! Why there are people who don't like it even around is a mystery to me.
Must be a birth defect. :DI second that. I don't know what makes coffee so good, I guess that will be one of life's mysteries. As for it being addictive: I didn't know that coffee was addictive, i guess i shouldn't have it much more often then...

mike_g
06-05-2008, 02:17 AM
I have learnt not to trust that coffee that sits around in those round pots all day; it allways tastes like its been brewed in some cheesy sock.

For the best coffee you have to make it your self in one of those peculators where you evaporate the water through the coffee and it comes out like goo. Being lazy, I'll usually settle for instant tho.

If david does not want to drink coffee then thats his choice. Your feeble attempts to rip into other people about their religion thinking that your religion is the best only make you look like a retard.

Tonto
06-05-2008, 03:10 AM
If there is any evidence for coffee stunting your growth it would be in my family -- my little brother of 15 is like almost 4 inches taller than me --

maxorator
06-05-2008, 03:20 AM
Must be a birth defect. :D
I drink it often, but I'm not addicted... yet.
Well the mystery is just that some people don't like the taste of coffee... like me (Sometimes I drink cappuccino though). ;)

IMO coffee doesn't cause real addiction. It can only cause the addiction of the taste, the same thing that could happen with candies, cakes, meat etc.

But anyway, it's just another energy drink with the exception that it isn't a mix of chemicals, but is made from real coffee beans. It simply pulls your body's reserves into the blood circulation.

Yarin
06-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Yes I meant to say mormon.
Not to pry, but I'm really wondering, It's not like I see anything wrong with that, I'm just curious.

psychopath
06-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Yes I meant to say mormon.
Not to pry, but I'm really wondering, It's not like I see anything wrong with that, I'm just curious.

No worries. Misspelling it "moron" just made it look like a stab I think.

DavidP
06-05-2008, 07:37 AM
And I'm not trying to pry, but what religion forbids coffee?

Like the others have already said, The Mormons (official name: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Your not Mormon are you David?

I thought all the board members already knew this, but I guess there are enough new members on the board that it isn't general knowledge anymore. Yes I am.

I have learnt not to trust that coffee that sits around in those round pots all day;

Yeah, even though I have never drank any, that stuff that sits around in pots all day just doesn't even look good. This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Latte_art.jpg) looks more appetizing personally. But of course, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_chocolate) is what I would go for.

Mario F.
06-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Meanwhile, just to make a wrong right I've read somewhere above. Caffeine is indeed addictive. Withdrawal symptoms range from headaches to irritability or numbness. On serious cases removing caffeine from a terminal addict can incur in hospitalization.

It also a drug. A stimulator alkaloid.

indigo0086
06-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Don't like the taste.

swgh
06-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Il drink coffee...

On the condition its Nescafe' ;)

Sebastiani
06-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't drink a lot of coffee (maybe two or three cups per day), but when I do it's any time of the day (even before bed). mostly I drink water and juices though. never alcohol.

brewbuck
06-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Meanwhile, just to make a wrong right I've read somewhere above. Caffeine is indeed addictive. Withdrawal symptoms range from headaches to irritability or numbness. On serious cases removing caffeine from a terminal addict can incur in hospitalization.

It also a drug. A stimulator alkaloid.

I have no doubt it can be addictive because I've seen the effects. But it doesn't seem to affect everyone the same way. My mother for instance drinks coffee continuously during the day and yet her blood pressure has been described by the family doctor as "that of a corpse." And she'll nod off in her chair with a cup of coffee in her hand (spilled it into the laptop once).

My blood pressure is more "normal" but I never notice any stimulant effects from the coffee I drink other than plain old increased wakefulness (never jittery or nervous) nor do I experience withdrawals when I go for days without it.

Maybe it's genetic?

Mario F.
06-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Certainly something like that, I would wager. I have to confess very little knowledge on this particular matter of coffee though.

For me, for instance, just not drinking coffee in the morning will give me one hellish headache. However, similarly to your mother, my blood pressure is normal and it is incapable of taking me the ability to crash as soon as I hit the pillow... although its my miracle drink every single morning.

There was just recently a documentary on TV here (a series of documentaries actually) on food. One of the 1 hour episodes was exactly about coffee... of those I didn't want to miss, that was one. Well... I missed it. Bleh!

sand_man
06-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I have a macciato in my hand right now :)
BTW: Coffee is good for you! It is full of natural anti oxidents!

Dave_Sinkula
06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I go through coffee cycles, as with just about any beverage to find favor with my lips. Currently, I don't bother with it, though in the past I'd drunk enough pots of it to put me to sleep.

abachler
06-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Like the others have already said, The Mormons (official name: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)I thought all the board members already knew this, but I guess there are enough new members on the board that it isn't general knowledge anymore. Yes I am.

My brother's a mormon, they are nice people, but I just couldnt get past the whole magic underwear thing. It just seems to have a lot of hokey traditions. Not that it has any more or less than any other religion, maybe that's why im a Buddhist.

brewbuck
06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
My brother's a mormon, they are nice people, but I just couldnt get past the whole magic underwear thing. It just seems to have a lot of hokey traditions. Not that it has any more or less than any other religion, maybe that's why im a Buddhist.

Buddhism as practiced by many Westerners tends to obscure the very large body of "weird" practices that you'd find in the East.

I think the Buddha would be baffled by what many Buddhists do. Not that he would necessarily disapprove of it, just that it really has nothing to do with the point he was trying to make...

DavidP
06-05-2008, 10:57 PM
My brother's a mormon, they are nice people, but I just couldnt get past the whole magic underwear thing.

hahahaha. wow I have never heard anyone use the term "magic underwear" before.

sand_man
06-05-2008, 10:58 PM
After visiting Thailand I have found Buddhism to be a wonderful way of life.
I, however, am a Germanic Heathen.
But, we shouldn't betalking about this now should we?

brewbuck
06-05-2008, 11:11 PM
After visiting Thailand I have found Buddhism to be a wonderful way of life.
I, however, am a Germanic Heathen.
But, we shouldn't betalking about this now should we?

Because it's off-topic or because it's a forbidden topic? I sure hope you mean the former..