PDA

View Full Version : My new Laptop

Mario F.
05-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Well, my aged laptop gave all it could. It died on me last night. Just doesn't turn on anymore. I believe something fried inside since I still can notice an odd smell coming from it.

I'm going to Staples today and get me the one I've been dating for a while; Asus U6SG.

Specs are:

Intel Core2 Duo T9300 (2.5 GHz, 64 bit)
NVIDIA GeForce 9300M G
4Gb DDR2
250GB (5400 RPM)
12.1" WXGA

The Memory is actually 3Gb. But I'll be also buying a 2Gb stick and giving away the 1Gb one. It comes with a few nice extras; fingerprint security, 2 batteries(!), 8 in 1 Card Reader, and even a bag.

Hopefully this will mean I won't have to think of an upgrade for another 5 or 6 years.

I choose Asus over Toshiba this time. Actually my first non Toshiba laptop. The reason was threefold:

- This Asus looks very sturdy. I couldn't find a Toshiba model with such high specs that didn't put an emphasis on design over sturdiness. This is a must for me when buying laptops. I pay particular attention to the screen joints and I also rock the laptop gently on my hands trying to see if it feels like if it was made of just one piece.

- Price. Asus is beating Toshiba. Period.

- Toshiba Support has become terrible in Portugal (long waiting times and reports of not actually fixing whatever the problem was). I did have an excellent service in Australia. But in Portugal it sucks. I can't afford that especially when I don't trust my laptops to anyone except the makers.

Anyways, guess today is my birthday :)

DavidP
05-23-2008, 07:45 AM
That sounds like a nice laptop. I am still quite impressed that they can fit all of that into a small laptop with a 12" screen :)

Honestly I have always harbored ill feelings towards Asus. That might be unfounded though. I have never owned an Asus computer, but I just remember that our old Asus 32x CD-ROM drive on our old Gateway computer would never work! It always ticked me off, but maybe it was just that one drive...who knows.

My current laptop is a Dell, and it is about 2 years old. I purchased a 3-year warranty with it, so I will use it for at least another year, if not longer. So far it hasn't let me down, so I am happy with it (although I know a lot of people have problems with Dell).

I am heavily considering getting a MacBook or a MacBook Pro when I get my next laptop.

matsp
05-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Certainly sounds like a nice spec laptop.

--
Mats

abachler
05-23-2008, 08:10 AM
I am heavily considering getting a MacBook or a MacBook Pro when I get my next laptop.

"The average person doesnt calculate the utility of an apple versus the utility of a orange, but the world seems to behave as if they did." - Milton Friedman

CornedBee
05-23-2008, 08:10 AM
My brother and I swear by Lenovo these days, but this thing sounds nice, too.

SlyMaelstrom
05-23-2008, 08:45 AM
My brother and I swear by Lenovo these days, but this thing sounds nice, too.Lenovos are sexy.

ASUS gets a lot of heat for their cut-throat marketing methods, but the fact is they make good products.

Mario, can I ask how much pocket-change you'll be putting toward this purchase?

Elysia
05-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Looks like a very nice laptop but the screen is just far too small for my tastes XD
But I guess you're happy with it!

Neo1
05-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Two batteries? That is awesome to say the least!

But really, if you put alot of emphasis on sturdiness and just overall quality, there is only one brand...Thinkpad! Get one of those and you will never go back to anything else...

When the world ends in a nuclear glow or a flood of melted icecaps, the final remaining life will be bacteria in the vents of undersea volcanoes and the last piece of technology to give up the ghost will surely be a ThinkPad.

<3

Elysia
05-23-2008, 10:20 AM
There was an article about that...
It showed, really, that no brand was superior than the other. What impressions you have may have been luck, because as far as the brands are concerned, they do not have any improved build quality over each other.
You could just pick whichever brand you want. Although, support, homepage, tools and all that might not be equal among them.

Mario F.
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
My brother and I swear by Lenovo these days

Interesting you mention it. I was advised one a couple of months ago by someone I tend to listen to. Unfortunately Lenovo presence here is very limited. I would have to actually order it, since only in the northern part of the country I'm aware of any reseller. The laptops however look great (never touched one).

Mario, can I ask how much pocket-change you'll be putting toward this purchase?

Did put ;) Have it with me as we speak. Although still need to format it and install proper software.

I have to say the thing looks very beautiful. Even more on my desk than it did on display. Actually, I didn't know I had bought such a beautiful laptop before I took it off the box. And I've been flirting it for a couple of months already (has it ever happened to you folks?).

It cost me 1,752 Euros including the 2GB stick. The leather palm rest feels really smooth and pleasant and the back sheen is absolutely gorgeous. Here's a link (http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=75&l3=589&l4=0&model=2065&modelmenu=1), but I'm telling you it doesn't make justice. I'm not usually leant towards aesthetics. But this laptop has that kind of simplistic beauty. No flashy effects, no nothing... A beautiful laptop that doesn't need any lipstick.

My only complaint... The keys could have been all black and it wouldn't loose its sex appeal. Probably even climb a few notches. Particularly with me, since I really feel black is a great color for a laptop (kudos to Lenovo!).

medievalelks
05-23-2008, 11:31 AM
I never knew that the appearance of a computer was so important.

aewing30
05-23-2008, 11:37 AM
It certainly sounds nice. I have recently purchased a lenovo ideapad laptop and I am thoroughly pleased with it. The online support is great and it has great hardware. I would definitely recommend the lenovo to anyone interested in a new laptop

Mario F.
05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
I never knew that the appearance of a computer was so important.

I never knew I said it was...

Neo1
05-24-2008, 10:10 AM
There was an article about that...
It showed, really, that no brand was superior than the other. What impressions you have may have been luck, because as far as the brands are concerned, they do not have any improved build quality over each other.
You could just pick whichever brand you want. Although, support, homepage, tools and all that might not be equal among them.

I'd like to see that article actually.

Elysia
05-24-2008, 10:24 AM
It's quite some while ago I saw that, but it was on n4g.com.
I'll try to see if I can find it again.

Mario F.
05-31-2008, 04:05 PM
It's been a few days and here is my report:

Awesome machine!

Very silent and absolutely no vibration during peak cd/dvd player activity.
Very fast. Almost everything displays instantly. I really wasn't used to this type of performance anymore.

Keys are wide enough and very silent (although I always enjoyed the tap-tap). The palm rest is incredibly comfortable and completely dirrent from anything else you have experienced before (unless you happen to own a slightly cushioned leather palm rest). However It tends to get dirty quickly and I wonder what will happen if the leather gets damaged. Thankfully I only use a laptop keyboard while on the road.

The screen is small enough to allow for high portability and easy handling, while being large enough and amazingly sharp to allow for a 1280x1024 to be quiet discernible even at a reasonable distance from the screen. However, just like with the keyboard, I only use a laptop screen when on the road.

Weight is only ~1.5Kg. That's just dangerous; you can ever forget you have this thing under your arm and let it fall, so light it is. I find it simply amazing as to how such a lightweight laptop has absolutely no vibration. Excellent workmanship.

Now the bad...

No XP drivers anywhere. They are simply non existent. The laptop ships with Windows Vista Home Premium effectively pushing people into this new operating system. I don't blame Asus entirely since I know perfectly well they are obliged to do so due to their OEM contracts (I think HP was the last one doing the move and they had to be forced by Microsoft since customers simply didn't want Vista and HP kept shipping XP). However, not presenting windows xp drivers as an alternative is a serious no-no that made me mad. (It also made me mad the fact I didn't think of this possibility before buying the laptop). This model offers no new technology and equivalent drivers are available from the hardware makers. It's inexcusable.

Thankfully, I made the downgrade successfully resorting exactly to the hardware makers, but I lost a lot of the laptop functionality. incidentally, no drivers for Linux are offered either. Just Vista 32Bit. Ridiculous and I'm considering returning this laptop.

SlyMaelstrom
05-31-2008, 07:56 PM
You looked at post #42 here?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=195649&page=5

Mario F.
06-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Actually no. Thanks. Will have to compare that with what I managed to do. I've been using some compuserve forums I found on google.

But the problem persists that I'm throwing away the laptop warranty. I don't think I will bother, honestly. I'm considering returning the laptop this Monday and shop elsewhere. Suddenly brands like HP start to make sense since I could see several shipping with Windows XP. Lenovo is also becoming a possibility even though the representative is located some 300Km from my home.

I'm so mad I didn't think of this before, but mostly I'm mad about this unacceptable lack of backwards support.

(::)
06-05-2008, 12:54 AM
I am using the kind of hardware that you would have thrown away long back. And Mario how old are you ?

guesst
06-05-2008, 09:24 AM
You know, you could just get used to Vista. It's not that... sorry, just threw up a bit in my mouth trying to type that. You can get used to Vista if you try real hard, but it helps to have a XP or Linux system to go home to.

Elysia
06-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Get used to Vista... you have to be kidding.
An operating system which cannot even copy/move files correctly is not an operating system.
No, sir. XP or Linux is the key today. Let's hope they fix Vista's issues with Windows 7.

Mario F.
06-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Let's not get there again. Anyways this thread is old news and it has been discontinued.

Closed.

cyberfish
06-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I have an Acer Aspire 5920G. Bought it last year for ~$1200USD (equivalent. I bought it in Taiwan).

C2D T7300 (2.0GHz)
GF 8600M GT
2GB RAM
160GB HD
15" screen

I guess the current trend is that the smaller the screen, the more expensive it is =).