PDA

View Full Version : Dogpile the newb!

lindy
05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Just thought I'd get my virgin post here out of the way.
I'm the proverbial old dog trying to learn a new trick. I haven't really settled on any particular
language to learn yet, I'm at the stage of doing the "Hello world!" exercises in C, C++, and Python. So far C seems to sticking better than the others (but that may change). So I'll pull on the Nomex undies and let youse guys tell me where I'm fouling up! Dogpile the newb!! :D

swgh
05-20-2008, 02:07 AM
Everyone needs to find the niche' in programming. And that niche' ends up first finding a language you are most comfortable with. If you are liking C, stick with it and see how you gel with it. If you struggle, then give C++ a go, some find its easier to get into than C, but its a much a larger language overall.

zacs7
05-20-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm at the stage of doing the "Hello world!" exercises in C, C++, and Python. So far C seems to sticking better than the others (but that may change). So I'll pull on the Nomex undies and let youse guys tell me where I'm fouling up!

Perhaps the reason is C is procedural, ie "do this, then this" -- In my opinion it's the easiest to start with, not complicated with overloading, classes, templates etc. I myself started to learn C++ but picked up C and stuck with it, learnt the C ways of doing things and haven't really used C++ since. However I'm considering getting back into C++.

KIBO
05-20-2008, 06:24 AM
go python

bye!

indigo0086
05-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Perhaps the reason is C is procedural, ie "do this, then this" -- In my opinion it's the easiest to start with, not complicated with overloading, classes, templates etc. I myself started to learn C++ but picked up C and stuck with it, learnt the C ways of doing things and haven't really used C++ since. However I'm considering getting back into C++.

C++ can be programd procedurally, as many languages can so I don't think that learning it first is difficult. Eventually much of your code logic will be based on procedural actions and object orientation I see as more of the structural aspect of your program.

abachler
05-23-2008, 08:17 AM
C was my first real mid/high level language (learned BASIC and the Assembly first). I spent years programmign in C before messign with C++. I foudn it a bit diffcult at first, but there are features of C++ that even a procedural programmer like myself can grow to love, or at least tolerate. Classes are highly useful, more so that the structs in C.