PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting people for the FAQ (at gunpoint if neccessary)

Pages : [1] 2

lightatdawn
02-05-2002, 02:17 PM
I'm going to need people who want to submit additions to the fact on the following (or any or subject you care to take the time to write up for that matter):

a) File I/O - Text and binary with a couple of different methods would be preferable

b) Quote: "everything on the FAQ board". Govtcheez? Care to start compiling? :)

c) Common sorting method (and their pros and cons)

d) Good site links (and any we should update cuz they're broken)

Keep in mind that this is a FAQ list not a massive tutorial on everything under the sun... Unless someone wants to compile one. :D I'm sorry i cant devote much/any time to this right now. I wish i could be a bit more involved but i cant, so.... Anyone that wants to cover one of the above (or something else) just reply to this thread stating that you're all over it (and make sure someone else isn't on the same thing). Then just e-mail me what you got. I'll put it together and give it to the webmaster (who'll be overjoyed i'm sure; "Here, have more work." :) ).

Govtcheez
02-05-2002, 02:18 PM
At gunpoint? Well, when you put it that way, how could I say no?

Yoshi
02-05-2002, 11:37 PM
link:

www.cpp-home.com

Govtcheez
02-06-2002, 12:01 PM
The FAQ link in displaying a picture file points to Sunlight's uni page, which isn't up. I believe the new one's www.sunlightd.com/Windows

Betazep
02-06-2002, 01:29 PM
Well you know what my time is like...

but I can research all of the file I/O. I am already very familiar with data, but I would need to work on the binary.

I will also do a faq on opening ports as files and writing to them. (I.E. How do I print... how do I gain access to a modem/serial port)

It will all be ANSI compliant.

Prelude
02-06-2002, 06:38 PM
I'm sure I can come up with something along the lines of "everything on the FAQ board" ;) Nothing complex, just explaining how and why to do things.

I can also cover the sorting parts if you want.

-Prelude

no-one
02-06-2002, 06:49 PM
i would be willing to help on the file I/O(binary please(straight C only)) since i do a hell of a lot of it, but i have no clue as to what questions to answer or what to really do.

::Edit:: how bout on Consol text color and getting the Arrow keys? i could do that i guess.

no-one
02-07-2002, 09:22 PM
how about binary, hex, and decimal conversions?

Betazep
02-08-2002, 07:48 PM
>>how about binary, hex, and decimal conversions?

Oooh... yes. Do that one. It comes up all the time.

Govtcheez
02-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Hey Betazep - maybe you can write why we don't need any more boards :D

-KEN-
02-08-2002, 09:38 PM
I'll write an overview of what bitshifting/bit manip is, and at the end it can link to the tutorial I'm going to write at some point :)

//edit: Is this good enough?

Bit Manipulation/Bit Shifting - Basic overview
================================================

Bit Manip/Shifting is the process of taking data, and toying with
the binary of it (the basic 1s and 0s that it's comprised of).

Bit operations in C/C++ are carried out with the following operators:

-----------------------------------------------------------
|Operator Definition |
-----------------------------------------------------------|
| & | Bitwise AND (Not to be confused with &&) |
| | | Bitwise OR (Not to be conused with ||) |
| ^ | XOR (Exclusive OR) |
| << | Shift left |
| >> | Shift right |
| ~ | Unary (One's compliment) |
------------------------------------------------------------

For more info, visit the <a href="bitshift.html">Bit shifting tutorial</a>.

Betazep
02-09-2002, 04:47 AM
>>>maybe you can write why we don't need any more boards

Should I use big red letters or big bold red letters? ;)

Govtcheez
02-09-2002, 08:20 AM
Can you make them flash?

vasanth
02-09-2002, 10:59 AM
yep sure.. PM me. I can help u on FAQ on console graphics.

Betazep
02-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Can you make them flash?

Of course lol... I can do it literally. ;)

You need a player...

shtarker
02-10-2002, 02:34 AM
Ok I'll write something for it.
PM me with the wot you want it to be about.

minime6696
02-10-2002, 09:45 AM
As you know, I'm up for writing a comprehensive tutorial on almost anything (exept bitshifting... I would need to read ken's tut on that 1st :) haha). Keep me in mind!!!

SPH

lightatdawn
02-10-2002, 01:57 PM
Okay, lets see if i can sum everything up here:

Betazep - File I/O
Govtcheez - Common stuff from the FAQ board
Ken - Bit manipulation (could you add a really small example line for each one showing it in use?)no-one - binary, hex, and decimal conversions (sounds usefuly. Yeah, do it)
And i've taken a few people up on there offers to help and asked them to do:

minime6696 - sorting methodsshtarker - basic memory management (new, delete)vasanth - Console text manipulation
I just PMed them so they havent responded as of yet but thats what i asked them if they wanted to do...

Better to e-mail me when you've done (lightatdawn@mind-games.co.uk) so we dont fill this thread up so much. Some of the stuff is likely to be large. I'll compile it then post it here so everyone can look it over one last time before i submit it to the webmaster. No big rush on any of that stuff guys. AFAIK no ones gonna die if they dont get their FAQ update by next week. :)

Betazep
02-11-2002, 12:14 AM
>>>AFAIK no ones gonna die if they dont get their FAQ update by next week.

Whew... what about by the following week? I really don't want to die yet... ;)

Betazep
02-11-2002, 12:15 AM
Oh and someone needs to do a simple FAQ on classes over multipe files to include

file.h
file.cpp
main.cpp

class questions come up quite a bit (not to mention homework questions...lol :))

no-one
02-11-2002, 01:50 PM
>AFAIK no ones gonna die if they dont get their FAQ update by next week.<

why me?

well never mind im glad to hear that cause i came down with something nasty about 2 days ago, and im still not feeling better, so i may be a little late.

golfinguy4
02-14-2002, 09:22 PM
I think we should make a palindrome(sp?) checker tutorial so we don't have to hear the same question over and over again.:D

tim545666
02-17-2002, 01:57 AM
I could do one for that password question (how do I make asteriks come up instead of letters?) if you want me to.

lightatdawn
02-18-2002, 10:14 AM
>>I could do one for that password question
Go for it.

I'm going to be away until next Monday (the 25th) Snowboarding so i wont be responding to anything for a while. Just so everyone knows that if they send me something and i dont get back to you its not cuz i hate you (although i wouldnt make any assumtions... ;) ).

later folks.

Dual-Catfish
02-22-2002, 07:36 PM
How about a howto on Matrix's? Three people have asked pretty much the same question within the past week (me included). So it doesn't seem that allocating a 2D array with 'new' is common knowledge.

I could write a basic one, a long with an alternative using malloc()

Unregistered
02-23-2002, 06:57 PM
PALINDROMEMORDNILAP !!!

#include <iostream.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <ctype.h>

int ispalindrome(char *str);

void main(void)
{
char a[] = "aa";
char b[] = "Bro";
char c[] = "radar";
char d[] = "Radar";
char e[] = "boB";
char f[] = "a";

if(ispalindrome(a))
{
cout << "\n" << a << " is a palindrome";
}
else
{
cout << "\n" << a << " is not a palindrome";
}
if(ispalindrome(b))
{
cout << "\n" << b << " is a palindrome";
}
else
{
cout << "\n" << b << " is not a palindrome";
}
if(ispalindrome(c))
{
cout << "\n" << c << " is a palindrome";
}
else
{
cout << "\n" << c << " is not a palindrome";
}
if(ispalindrome(d))
{
cout << "\n" << d << " is a palindrome";
}
else
{
cout << "\n" << d << " is not a palindrome";
}
if(ispalindrome(e))
{
cout << "\n" << e << " is a palindrome";
}
else
{
cout << "\n" << e << " is not a palindrome";
}
if(ispalindrome(f))
{
cout << "\n" << f << " is a palindrome";
}
else
{
cout << "\n" << f << " is not a palindrome";
}
}

// The magic happens here
int ispalindrome(char *str)
{
int front, back;

front = 0;
back = strlen(str) - 1;
if(back < 0)
{
return(0);
}

while(tolower(*(str + front)) == tolower(*(str + back)) && front <= back) //I used tolower to make sure words
{ //with capitals in them would check ok (see the Radar example in main())
front++;
back--;
}
if(front >= back)
{
return(1);
}
else
{
return(0);
}
}

// cut here ================================

I also have some password program source, which works but was never fully polished (so it has some odd artifacts in the source and is a little ugly). It was made using Watcom C and is graphical, so unfortunately there are a lot of unportable graphical function calls and stuff, but still, if anyone is interested I should be able to find it.

I also have a DeleteAllBut program I wrote
(like the old loveable DOS utility DAB.exe) that does file name wildcard matching. It's around here somewhere too...

Yell if interested.

Rutabega
(still lurking after all these years)

-KEN-
02-23-2002, 07:08 PM
how about just using strcmpi?

if(strcmpi(somestr, sttrev(somestr))==0){
//it's a palidrome
}

lightatdawn
03-02-2002, 11:43 PM
Finally have a new e-mail address. Much apologies to those who may have tried sending me stuff in the last nine days (i think it was nine) as i havent been able to retrieve my e-mail for that long. New e-mail: lightatdawn@lycos.com.

*taps foot* And i'm expecting it to fill up with FAQ submissions soon... :D j/k. Theres still no hurry whatsoever.

Betazep
03-02-2002, 11:45 PM
soon indeed my brother....

I have two weeks left of school (plus a few days)....

Then == l@D_software_co && FAQs

Fordy
03-03-2002, 04:10 AM
A topic raised by no-one (Yes "no-one" the coder not "nobody") earlier in this thread that would be utterly priceless - Windows consoles in MSVC or the like.....

We at least get 1 question a day on these....

Topics including;
[list=1]
Making console cover whole screen
Mouse control with consoles
Keyboar control with consoles (Arrow keys, escape...)
Changing text colour
Changing whole console background colour
gotoxy() - Already there in FAQ
Clear Screen - Already there in FAQ
[/list=1]

All of these can be made into general functions (even though they are mostly hacks.....). In their own right, none of them belong on any sort of guide, but I suppose a FAQ is based on questions that are actually asked....not what people should know :)

I can more or less implement all of the above, so if anyone wants me to contribute......say so...

vasanth
03-03-2002, 08:45 AM
ok check out my console program in c++ board under the thread "My best c++ console game"

Fordy
03-03-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by vasanth
ok check out my console program in c++ board under the thread "My best c++ console game"

Yes...yes....but tht will not compile with a windows compiler like VC++......its dos based.....

Many people ask questions specific to VC++ and the like......to do what you are doing there in windows you cannot use stuff like dos.h

lightatdawn
03-03-2002, 12:45 PM
Sounds good, Fordy. Thats one i hadnt thought of but now that you mention it I recall seeing way too many of those types of questions (i lost count exactly... what comes after gazillion?).

Fordy
03-03-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by lightatdawn
Sounds good, Fordy. Thats one i hadnt thought of but now that you mention it I recall seeing way too many of those types of questions (i lost count exactly... what comes after gazillion?).

OK...I'll try do something this week.....

Just hope people start to read the FAQ.......The "pause an application" thing has been in the FAQ for ages....and I wouldnt like to guess how many damn times people still ask.....ah well

tim545666
03-03-2002, 08:20 PM
(i lost count exactly... what comes after gazillion?).
Gazillion and one?

shtarker
03-04-2002, 06:41 AM
Maby a faq on what .net really is.
Or even better, a faq on how to search google. . . .

Betazep
03-09-2002, 08:13 PM
where is this FAQ going to be located... on the website or on the boards. If it is on the boards, I am going to want to utilize tags...

~Betazep

lightatdawn
03-09-2002, 08:50 PM
An extension onto the existing one:

http://www.cprogramming.com/boardfaq.html

tim545666
03-09-2002, 08:52 PM
What's the point? No one looks at it anyway. You have to make it pop up or something whenever you go to the board.

lightatdawn
03-10-2002, 11:17 PM
Its much easier to point to a compilation containing an answer involving many lines of code than to [re]write it a million times.

An FYI, people do actually read it. I've had a fair amount of feedback; Its just that there are still a lot of people that obviously dont. :rolleyes:

Betazep
03-14-2002, 06:59 PM
I have used it before...

tim545666
03-14-2002, 09:58 PM
Ok, some people use it, I have on occasions, but it seems that most people, especially ones who are new to the board, don't even think about looking at the faq.

Betazep
03-15-2002, 02:31 AM
And that is why you are here... to tell them to do so ;)

-KEN-
03-16-2002, 07:00 PM
Ok, finally finished my tut....

I'll email it to you ASAP, l@d. Tell me if you'd liek any changes made.

Betazep
03-16-2002, 07:02 PM
Monday is my last final and I am supposed to be writing a paper on Fiber Optics right now (better quit delaying...). I will begin my file I/O tut next week. Should have it by the end of the week...

~Betazep

lightatdawn
03-18-2002, 01:33 PM
>>I'll email it to you ASAP

Got it. Thanks, that'll be perfect.

-KEN-
03-19-2002, 07:08 PM
>>I'll email it to you ASAP

Got it. Thanks, that'll be perfect.

Good, good. Because if you had wanted changes I probably would have gone about merrily shoving it up your ass ;)

lightatdawn
03-20-2002, 06:07 PM
That sounds uncomfortable. :eek: ;) Piece of luck on my part that it was good then i suppose. Perhaps i should check other peoples intentions regarding their submissions and exactly where it is they wish to submit them before i ask for any changes. Maybe a tattoo on by butt... "Exit only" :D

-KEN-
03-21-2002, 04:04 PM
That sounds uncomfortable. :eek: ;) Piece of luck on my part that it was good then i suppose. Perhaps i should check other peoples intentions regarding their submissions and exactly where it is they wish to submit them before i ask for any changes. Maybe a tattoo on by butt... "Exit only" :D

You're hilarious :p :D

sigma
03-30-2002, 08:30 PM
My experience is in mathmatics, C, X-Windows, UNIX, inter-process communications. (I work on a simulator for the military that is DIS and HLA compliant) So if you have a need, I will offer my services to write something up on those subject.