PDA

View Full Version : Any quick and dirty Java Programming Guides?

indigo0086
05-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm going to be using java for a software engineering course I'm doing, I did my first three programming courses in java but haven't used it much since, I worked mostly in C++ and recently C#. I can probably figure it out from old notes and stuff and the syntax isn't really what worries me, just a guide that covers the important aspects of programming related to java: Inheritance, Polymorphism technical aspects of the language in brief, et al. I am reading one from the java.sun.com website but wouldn't mind more resources.

laserlight
05-05-2008, 08:14 AM
I can probably figure it out from old notes and stuff and the syntax isn't really what worries me, just a guide that covers the important aspects of programming related to java: Inheritance, Polymorphism technical aspects of the language in brief, et al. I am reading one from the java.sun.com website but wouldn't mind more resources.
Personally, I found that the main thing I had to adapt to was syntax. Inheritance and polymorphism? Bah, Java does not have multiple inheritance and its interface construct is just special syntax to declare a pure interface. Polymorphism is easy since you do not have to take care to use pointers and references to avoid slicing, and do not need to think before declaring a member function virtual... since all non-static methods are effectively virtual anyway.

Still, if you want a fun read, I suggest that you read Head First Java (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/hfjava2/) by Bert Bates and Kathy Sierra. It might be a little too easy for you, but it is funny.

indigo0086
05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
One head first book is enough (reading head first design patterns, but using C#). I mean I can probably just wing it since it's been only about a year since I used java, and C# is pretty much like it from what I remember, but I like to know about the special features. Like C# is much cooler when I can use the lambda functions instead of delegates which I didn't know until I read a language reference (visual C# express docs programming guide). I just want to get a refresher without needing a large book.

CornedBee
05-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Take C# 1.0, minus delegates and operator overloading. Replace a few keywords: sealed with final, internal with nothing. There's no override or new annotation for functions. There are no out or ref parameters. No uniform multi-d arrays. No value struts. The primitives aren't objects.

This pretty much gives you Java 1.4.

Then read the guide to new features in Java 5 and you should be up to speed.

indigo0086
05-05-2008, 09:54 AM
I like C# a lot though I only ever used Java 5.0 and are familiar with C# 3.0 features (Linq & Lambdas). But most of it makes sense, just not sure what constitutes java 1.4

indigo0086
05-06-2008, 04:36 AM
Also should I bother with knowing much about Java 6.0?

CornedBee
05-06-2008, 04:39 AM
It's just library enhancements.

indigo0086
05-06-2008, 05:04 AM
ah. Welll I found my old "Big Java" book and can get back to where I left off.