vart
05-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I have been browsing FAQ board and found this thread
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=3700

Which shows a sample with
void main
iostream.h
and C-strings instead of C++strings

Maybe it is time to remove some threads like this from the FAQ-board or fix sample advertised to be complient with the current C++ standard?

MacGyver
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I vote they make you the mod to do it. :p

lol...

SlyMaelstrom
05-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey... a good FAQ archive doesn't necessarily mean good answers. Just look at GameFAQs. :rolleyes:

vart
05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
they make you the mod initiative is punishable (c) lol

vart
05-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey... a good FAQ archive doesn't necessarily mean good answers.

This makes me wonder - what is your definition of good FAQ, if it is not the FAQ collecting good answers ;)

SlyMaelstrom
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
This makes me wonder - what is your definition of good FAQ, if it is not the FAQ collecting good answers ;)It's all about asking the right questions.

vart
05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
It's all about asking the right questions.
Frequently Asked Questions are asked by beginners... and therefore not so good.

It does not mean you shouldn't get some good answers for them (after answering same thing several hundred times you'll be somewhat expected to polish your answer to the brilliance :) )

whiteflags
05-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I guess, but maybe burying the bad threads would be as effective as removing them. People are lazy. I'm surprised people read the FAQ board, or the one on the website.

SlyMaelstrom
05-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I guess, but maybe burying the bad threads would be as effective as removing them. People are lazy. I'm surprised people read the FAQ board, or the one on the website.The only ones that read the FAQ boards are the ones that are knowledgable enough to identify errors when they see them. :rolleyes:

vart
05-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I remember someone was posting question about failing to compile sample from FAQ - now I'm not suprised...

medievalelks
05-02-2008, 11:10 PM
FAQs should have accurate answers. Otherwise, what's the point of providing the wrong answer "frequently"? Kind of defeats the purpose.

Would you read a financial advice book that told you to charge a bunch of things you can't afford and quit your job?

manav
05-03-2008, 06:33 AM
vart should be definitely made into a moderator, he has shown much concern about the board, by pointing the above problem, and will prove to be a well wishing moderator :D

Mario F.
05-03-2008, 07:16 AM
You don't necessarily need to be made into a moderator in order to edit some forum posts. This is so with most bulletin board software, and vB is probably the same.

The FAQ could indeed benefit from a cleanup, particularly because I suspect some posts where added back then simply to "fill space" in a time where the current version of the forums was first starting.

whiteflags
05-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Would you read a financial advice book that told you to charge a bunch of things you can't afford and quit your job?

You can't unread it.

*shows empty pockets*