PDA

View Full Version : code EDITOR

terminator
04-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Is there any good editors out there which shows the "methods - functions" on the left hand side, so that we can skip from one function code to another just by clicking the methods (function).
I am using Crimson editor but it doesn't have such function.
Free ones first.

matsp
04-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Visual Studio? (Express Edition is free)
Eclipse? (Free)

--
Mats

laserlight
04-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Moved to General Discussions.

Pretty much any integrated development environment (http://cpwiki.sourceforge.net/Integrated_Development_Environment) worth using has such a feature. Even Geany, a lightweight IDE that I am experimenting with for use as a text editor has that feature, not to mention Code::Blocks and the Express versions of Microsoft Visual Studio.

vlrk
04-24-2008, 05:23 AM
emacs would also be good option ..!

matsp
04-24-2008, 05:47 AM
emacs would also be good option ..!

I like Emacs a lot. Although it does not at all support the feature of a class-browser.

--
Mats

Neo1
04-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Is there any good editors out there which shows the "methods - functions" on the left hand side, so that we can skip from one function code to another just by clicking the methods (function).
I am using Crimson editor but it doesn't have such function.
Free ones first.

Notepad++ can do it, it also colors the code for you, and has support for macros and pretty much all other text editing functions known to man, it's free. However, it is not an IDE, so you'd have to use a stand-alone compiler, like MingW/GCC or MSVC or Borland or whatever...

medievalelks
04-24-2008, 06:31 AM
I like Emacs a lot. Although it does not at all support the feature of a class-browser.

I use GVim almost exclusively. IDEs greatly slow me down and eat up too much of the edit space with browsers, toolbars,etc. Nice debuggers, but for me, that's about it.

laserlight
04-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Notepad++ can do it
With a non-default yet website listed plugin, from what I see.

I use GVim almost exclusively. IDEs greatly slow me down and eat up too much of the edit space with browsers, toolbars,etc. Nice debuggers, but for me, that's about it.
I have heard statements to the effect that GVim is an IDE :D

medievalelks
04-24-2008, 06:54 AM
I have heard statements to the effect that GVim is an IDE :D

GVim + make is for me. :-) I feel like my right and left hands are switched when I'm forced to use a real IDE.

vart
04-24-2008, 06:59 AM
I feel like my right and left hands are switched when I'm forced to use a real IDE.

So just move the mouse to the other side of the keyboard...

medievalelks
04-24-2008, 07:17 AM
So just move the mouse to the other side of the keyboard...

The mouse is the problem. Point, click, type. Point, right click, select, click, type. Point, click, build. Point, click, type, click for Search.

I know a lot of that can be done with keyboard shortcuts, but I already know them all in GVim.

Elysia
04-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Which is a good thing many of them can be reassigned within many IDEs. Phew.

medievalelks
04-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Which is a good thing many of them can be reassigned within many IDEs. Phew.

Yep, I'm sure many people are more productive in IDEs than I am. I'm only relaying my personal preference. I do occasionally use one to browse unfamiliar code, but if I'm in edit/compile/test mode, GVim + make is fastest for me.