PDA

View Full Version : need Help with visual studio Help!

indigo0086
04-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Okay, I downloaded the msdn library when I got visual C# and C++ studio express '08. I can look through it find by going through the index, but when I go to the search, no matter what I search for, even when I know there is something in the local library, it always shows up as having 0 results. , but of course the online library works fine.

This is generally not a problem, but when I F1 selected items, I hate to wait several seconds for it to look it up as opposed to almost instantly.

abachler
04-16-2008, 01:26 PM
The express version of the help file is seriously stripped down. There is nothign wrong with your installation, thats just the way it is.

indigo0086
04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
nuts.

abachler
04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
My problem is I can't actually find a copy of VS for sale that isnt the educational version. I know its the same product, but its nto the same liscence, and I don't feel like losing all my IP in an audit that isnt likely to happen but still.

Vicious
04-16-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116411

Is that what you're looking for?

indigo0086
04-16-2008, 06:52 PM
I think the academic allience are just the standard versions, I don't think they do the learners licences much anymore.

I stick to express since the JIT debugger doesn't crowd up my system internals.

Mario F.
04-16-2008, 07:27 PM
but when I go to the search, no matter what I search for, even when I know there is something in the local library, it always shows up as having 0 results.

This is not usual. Have you installed the library separated from the express installation? Because, as far as I know, only the library shipping with the express edition works.

I think I remember reading about it somewhere that there is some kind of configuration files hacking that allows you to link a more complete msdn library to the express edition. But as far as I remember, I've always had local hits when hitting F1.

I've been using VS Studio for around 6 months now, so I can't remember all the details, but you can try and configure your help system to never go online and see what happens.

indigo0086
04-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Hmm, it seems to be working on my work computer. I don't know, I chose to install local documentation at home but it's not working. Is there a way to re-install it without re-installing visual C# express?

Mario F.
04-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Not sure. But reinstalling C# express (and only now I'm realizing you are talking about C# Express Edition, not C++ Express edition, so this is the last you hear from me) won't most probably alter your current configuration and project settings. It doesn't with C++ Express Edition.

abachler
04-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I think the academic allience are just the standard versions, I don't think they do the learners licences much anymore.

I stick to express since the JIT debugger doesn't crowd up my system internals.

It's not a matter of functionality, they do the same thing. Its a matter of legality. You cant use the academic version in a business.

indigo0086
04-17-2008, 08:34 AM
...not C++ Express edition, so this is the last you hear from me)

oh :p

Mario F.
04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
I just meant I never installed it, never used it... and probably never will. So, I could give the wrong advise.

abachler
04-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I just meant I never installed it, never used it... and probably never will. So, I could give the wrong advise.

... nah too easy, Ill bite my tongue here :D

Mario F.
04-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Don't. Fire away. This will be fun.

abachler
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh, now you ruined the mood :( It's no fun if you want it.

Mario F.
04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Yes. I would have liked it. Trading my posts with your posts would have been fun. I have plenty to show. But in the meantime, because I'm also getting sick and tired of you I have reported you for harrassment.

Quiet frankly abachler I'm tired of you and your childish behavior on what concerns me.

indigo0086
04-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I found they have the express msdn library online to download. I quite like the C# programming guide

abachler
04-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Yes. I would have liked it. Trading my posts with your posts would have been fun. I have plenty to show. But in the meantime, because I'm also getting sick and tired of you I have reported you for harrassment.

Quiet frankly abachler I'm tired of you and your childish behavior on what concerns me.

Sticks and stones ...

indigo0086
04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
GD is a lighting rod for thread dereailments.