PDA

View Full Version : PC or Console gamers, what are you playing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

indigo0086
03-31-2008, 10:53 AM
No fights, no arguments, just games. Tell me what you're gaming at the moment, and in the short term plan on playing.

I'm playing some Backwards Compatiable games for xbox on 360. One of them is Phantom Dust, which is a "card" type game without the use of cards, but battle skills that you put in deck type structures called arsenals. All the battles are real time and your moves spawn randomly from your arsenal which you can assign to one of the four face buttons. The game really has a lot of depth because you have different schools of moves that have different goals, and they all have different types like attack, defense, environment, etc. It's a weird game with a weird story and it came from Microsoft Gaming Studios Tokyo. I'm almost done with it but have about 30 hours in.

The other xbox game I'm playing is breakdown which is a Namco game. It's one of the first games to mix FPS with First-Person brawling. You play what I can only liken to the matrix meets evangelion minus the mechs. You play a typical character Dereck who finds himself against a military coverup of a facility he's held in, and against weird warriors that you can't shoot but eventually can destroy via Hand-to-hand combat. It's a really innovative game as I've beaten it before and am just replaying it now that it is BC. It has spectacular cinematic scenes which are all first person that you don't really see too often. It was also a strange out of nowhere game for the xbox from japan.

Also Ninja Gaiden Black is getting my game time on the xbox BC. All my saves from when I beat it before got corrupted so I have to play it AGAIN to get the Battle modes. God this game is awesome. 3s a charm with the xbox japan games, but this one is probably the best of the three

On the 360 I'm still building up skill with the Call of Duty 4 multiplayer. This game is so awesome and I haven't picked it up for almost a week, but when I do I spend hours on it.

I'm thinking about buying that Game Aquarion for the PC because I played the long demo and it was incredible, but haven't the time yet. Also at the end of april comes Grand Theft Auto 4, so yeah, having just beat GTA:SA a few weeks ago I'm ready for this true sequel.

maxorator
03-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Warsow
OpenTTD

That's pretty much all I play. :D

SlyMaelstrom
03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Absolutely nothing... :(

Since I've beaten Crysis, I haven't found myself doing much gaming... my expensive graphics card is just sitting there collecting dust. :(

Games I'm looking forward to are: Grand Theft Auto 4, Spore, Fallout 3, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy 13, Far Cry 2... It's a shame I have about 6 or so months before I can (hopefully) get a taste of any of those.

abachler
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Guildwars is my fallback game when I'm bored and want some mindless clickfesting.

EVE is my flavor of the quarter game again, played it years ago when it was new.

Hitman : Blood Money - my favorite series besides MOO (excluding MOO3).

Still looking for a new RTS, they seem to have dumbed them down in recent years. I'm writing one of my own, so maybe it will break the less is more cycle.

PING
03-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Counter Strike 1.6 :)

GanglyLamb
03-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Guildwars is something I play way too much... I really need to start studying more and play less guildwars :(. I only have the factions campaign and the EOTN expansion but I still have so many things left to do - like dancing around naked in guild hall firing my stock of canthan new year gifts while being drunk and shouting the most obscene things one can imagine....

I think im a bit addicted to it, since i bought LOTR battle for middle earth a while ago but I have not even installed it (still in the original package, didnt even bother to take it out the plastic bag) because I just dont have enough time for 2 games (let alone my studies:p):(. Sounds and probably is just pathetic...

Looking forward for GW2, although I will probably wait a year or more to buy it since like most games I find the price a bit too high when they just come out.

@abachler: whats your nickname on gw (then i can add you to my friends list, unless you dont want to)? ("Midget Ganglylamb" is my main character, a sin feel free to add, im currently trying to max some title tracks - hard mode vanquishing etc ...)

Elysia
03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Well, the latest thing I've played is Oblivion. There's just so much user content out there that you can go on forever.

Raigne
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
I just keep replaying all my Final Fantasy games for consoles. (Even the originals, NES, SNES, and such).

PC is kinda limited for me. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Unreal Tournament 07, WoW(private server), and GuildWars occasionally.

abachler
03-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, the latest thing I've played is Oblivion. There's just so much user content out there that you can go on forever.

Gah, I forgot about Oblivion, I lent my copy to my brother then he went and volunteered to go back to Kuwait before I got it back. ES series is pretty good, I played ES3 and finished the Morrowwind campaign on a couple different characters, never got too far in the bloodmoon campaign though, didn't feel like giving up my Vampire God status. 120 Destruction pwns.

Mario F.
03-31-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm not much into games anymore. But I still play Diablo II single-player occasionally where I use a muling program to keep all my findings. Finished the game in Hell mode with all characters but still missing some uber equipment after all these years.

I also pay a visit once and a while to the Cthulu Nation where I have a 2 year old character spawning from the very month it was released. Also pay the odd visit to Realms of Despair MUD to not let my character there be deleted.

I however find myself more and more often not wanting to use my free time with games. I do however keep a constant watch on MAME, Sinclair and DOS emulators. In my opinion, the gaming golden ages.

whiteflags
03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm replaying my RPGs. I'm completing a level one challenge in Final Fantasy 9, and trying another kind of challenge in Final Fantasy 10. Hey, I spent like $40 getting them so I better find some use out of it. Seems like more fun when you just try something a little different, or mess with the battle engine. A lot is possible!

mthemapc
03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Counter Strike 1.6 :)

hey me too, i was playing source but my computer cant handle it so i downgraded and its still fun

VirtualAce
03-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Currently not really heavy into any certain one game. Games are sorta in a dry spell right now.

Currently alternating between playing these on the PC:
* Test Drive Unlimited
* IL2 1946
* Flight Sim X with Acceleration
* COD 4
* Battlecruiser Millenium (even with all of the crashes - I wish I had the source code so I could fix it)
* RCT 3
* GTA: San Andreas

Waiting eagerly for:
Spore, GTA 4, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2

If I could sum up my anticipation for the year to come in one word it would most certainly be: SPORE.

Other than that can't say much else on the radar interests me. I should add Sims 3 to the list since my wife will insist on getting it and all of it's expansion packs that will hog a good 10GB of my drive.

DavidP
03-31-2008, 08:04 PM
I haven't been playing too much in the way of games lately, but the last game I played was Diablo (the first one).

I bought Bio Shock awhile ago, but I got too busy with school and so I haven't progressed very far in it.

Mario F.
03-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Some have mentioned Fallout 3 and I must say that is the only game I'm now curious about.

1 and 2 rank extremely high on my list of best games I ever played. But until now I didn't even know 3 was being developed. A quick look over the official website however tells me I'll need a new computer. Fair enough. But you guys think the Oblivion engine will capture the ambience of the previous games? Looking at the screenshots, it looks more like a RPG meets FPS.

psychopath
04-01-2008, 05:03 AM
WoW, Unreal Tournament 3, and Hellgate are my main three atm.

maxorator
04-01-2008, 05:05 AM
I haven't been playing too much in the way of games lately, but the last game I played was Diablo (the first one).
Hehe, I tried it too a while ago. Good old game. :)

Sometimes I also play GTA: Vice City.

SlyMaelstrom
04-01-2008, 05:13 AM
But you guys think the Oblivion engine will capture the ambience of the previous games? Looking at the screenshots, it looks more like a RPG meets FPS.It's hard to tell at this point. To me the true greatness of the Fallout series lied in the plot, humor, and and freedom that it offered... all of which Bethesda promises and I believe can deliver on. There is no doubt the gameplay will recieve drastic makeover, but it looks like they have some ideas to keep it as turned-based as possible (as the earlier games) while also offering the chance to play it more real-time like an Elder Scrolls game. This may make for better replay value.

I don't know... I won't say that Bethesda can't completely F it up, but I have the faith and from what I've seen so far, it looks very good.

zacs7
04-01-2008, 05:41 AM
I bought Bio Shock awhile ago, but I got too busy with school and so I haven't progressed very far in it.
That's because it's boring :) -- Don't blame school.

SPORE looks good, luckily it looks like my PC can run it :D

mike_g
04-01-2008, 06:04 AM
The new fallout sounds interesting. I think first person perspective will be good for it.

My hardware cant really support new games tho, and the few that I want generally tend to appear on the 360 so I have them for that. The only games I bought in the last 2 years are: COD 4, Bio Shock, Halo 3, Suikoden 5, and Oblivion. All of which I like a lot, although for some reason halo 3 runs at slug speed in multiplayer :/

Also, I never found Oblivion to be as good as Morrowind. The fact that they replaced text with voice overs severely limited the content and to me the american accents shattered the illusion of being in a medieval environment. The monsters and loot you find is also too random generated, its like wherever you go in the world the scenery changes, but what you find depends entirely on what level you are. My final moan is that since everyones face was a distortion of the same model people all looked kind of inbred. Apart from that tho is a very nice game.

I'm looking forward to the new Soul Calibur.

cboard_member
04-01-2008, 06:44 AM
I'm currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl on the PC, Silent Hill 2 and Timesplitters: Future Perfect on PS2. Just sold my 360.

My eagerly awaiting list is exactly the same as Bubba's plus Assassins Creed for the PC (next friday WOOT). I haven't heard excellent things about it (samey side quests for one) and Ubisoft managed to get themselves on my black list after the atrocity that is Splinter Cell: Double Agent, but still I'm looking forward too it.

I'm also half-heartedly playing Morrowind (PC).

mike_g
04-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Timesplitters is a great game :) I found Assassins Creed very boring tho. Borrowed it of a friend about a month ago, played it through the first few missions and never went back to it. Maybe I should give him his game back sometime....

indigo0086
04-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Ass...assin's creed was sinfully boring.

SlyMaelstrom
04-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Ass...assin's creed was sinfully boring.Having not played it, I was reluctant to say that I had heard the same from several sources. However, since it's been put out there...

indigo0086
04-01-2008, 08:01 AM
glad I didn't buy it, got it from the trading site I use, got a quick turnaround, with me finishing it within two weeks and trading it back for the same value.

abachler
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Im thinking of getting a PS3 to crunch on, too bad they have the crippled cell processors but still pretty good I suppose.

SlyMaelstrom
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Im thinking of getting a PS3 to crunch on, too bad they have the crippled cell processors but still pretty good I suppose.Crippled compared to what? It's not that new, anymore.

DavidP
04-01-2008, 03:17 PM
I can't wait for Starcraft 2 to come out. I hear that Blizzard is aiming for the end of this year. :)

indigo0086
04-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Crippled compared to what? It's not that new, anymore.

Please don't indulge him, the conditions of the thread were no arguments and his subtle baiting would end the thread if so.

michaelp
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
PC: Warcraft 3, Age of Empires 3
360: MLB 2K8

abachler
04-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Crippled compared to what? It's not that new, anymore.

One of the SE cells is disabled in PS3's. Not that big a deal really. What happens is they run a batch of processors, and if they come out perfect they go into batch A which become things like System z9 expansion boards. If they come out with one bad cell they go into batch PS3 and become gaming consoles. There is nothing else wrong with them, they just have that one bad cell disabled. That's all I mean by crippled. And as long as i already have it, I migth as well pick up a game or two errrr I mean applications for the purpose of testing proper operation, yeah...

mike_g
04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I read somewhere that one of the PS3 cores was 'redundant', but i thought it was used for managing the others. Lol, sony crap is so second rate.

abachler
04-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Well, there are 8 SE cores in a cell BE. For the PS3 one of them is disabled because it was defective, and one is reserved for OS use, that leaves 6 for the game. If they didn't use crippled chips the PS3 would cost too much. But this is getting off topic and my intention was not to derail this thread into a Sony is crap rant. I wouldn't use the PS3 as an example of why $ony is crap, becasue the PS3 is a decent machine, and there are so many other reasons why $ony is crap...

SlyMaelstrom
04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
and there are so many other reasons why $ony is crap...How about cause their products rarely last a few weeks past warranty? :)

Anyway, Sony is the only system that has an exclusive title (or two) that I am interested in. Which is why, for me, it will be the best console available at the end of the year. Maybe I'm the only one in this thread that still appreciates the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear series? :)

Mario F.
04-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Maybe I'm the only one in this thread that still appreciates the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear series? :)

Final Fantasy yes. But Metal Gear... so and so; Too much cinematics for my taste.

Speaking of which, the genre I always loved the most (after pure FPS) is tactical turn-based combat. Something that unfortunately never caught up much. I'm still dreaming of the day I'll get to see Jagged Alliance or Fallout Tactical type of games on modern technologies. That would make me by a new computer.

mike_g
04-01-2008, 05:50 PM
The metal gear games have funny controls that leave me feeling like a spaz playing it, although I liked the psycho dude in MGS that tries to convince you to turn the console off. I was too clever for him.

FF7 was my first and favorite final fantasy. Wernt to impressed by the rest; just seemed like high budget regurgitaions with a lame story tacked on. IMHO the suikoden games were allways much better, only the graphics were never all that good.

shoutatchickens
04-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Rockband is always fun when your instruments aren't broken.

I play quite a bit on the PC but recently it's been:

Call of Duty 4
Unreal 3
rFactor (CTDP 2005 mod :D)

Elysia
04-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Well, there are 8 SE cores in a cell BE. For the PS3 one of them is disabled because it was defective, and one is reserved for OS use, that leaves 6 for the game. If they didn't use crippled chips the PS3 would cost too much.

Crippled? I believe they disabled one SE to increase yields for the Cell. And as they finalize the console, the hardware is finalized and can't be changed. They're stuck with it...
But... I really don't see the PS3 justified at it's huge price. But then again, I don't see the 360 either. They're both just too expensive. I don't want a blu-ray player. I don't want a media center. I just want the games.
And that's why my "Revolution" will continue to entertain me in that regard :D

h3ro
04-02-2008, 04:40 AM
Crysis!

I find it weird that so few people play the game. It has a few flaws (few++), but it plays really really well.

maxorator
04-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Crysis!

I find it weird that so few people play the game. It has a few flaws (few++), but it plays really really well.
Eye candy is not always the most important thing about games either. ;)

abachler
04-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Sometimes the eye candy can actually make teh game worse. Take lens flare and the glowy effects. I just find them annoying. Stuff doesn't look like that in real life unless you have some eye disease like glaucoma. And it slows my frame rate? No Thanks. Until its a hologram, I think game graphics have gotten about as realistic looking as they are going to.

Crippled? I believe they disabled one SE to increase yields for the Cell. And as they finalize the console, the hardware is finalized and can't be changed. They're stuck with it...

Yeah , thats what they mean by increased yields, they use chips that would otherwise be scrapped but are fully functional in the remaining 7 cells. They can't turn them back on because in most cases a disabled cell is electrically severed from the circuit.

2. anything that is impaired or flawed.
7. to disable; impair; weaken.

Honestly, are you guys arguing becuse you think the definition doesnt apply or because it does but has perjorative connotations?

Elysia
04-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Sometimes the eye candy can actually make teh game worse. Take lens flare and the glowy effects. I just find them annoying. Stuff doesn't look like that in real life unless you have some eye disease like glaucoma.
I like pretty stuff :D

And it slows my frame rate? No Thanks.
...But I don't like it if it slows down the framerate enough to make the game lag.

SlyMaelstrom
04-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Sometimes the eye candy can actually make teh game worse. Take lens flare and the glowy effects. I just find them annoying. Stuff doesn't look like that in real life unless you have some eye disease like glaucoma.Lens flares you don't generally see in First Person Shooters and if you do, they're misplaced. The logic of the lens flare in a 3rd person game is just that you are supposed to be getting a cinematic effect (as though your viewing through a camera). ... and if you've used video cameras, lens flares definitely do happen.
Until its a hologram, I think game graphics have gotten about as realistic looking as they are going to.People were saying that back when Playstation came out. :rolleyes:

I will admit, graphical demand has kind of crossed the line lately with Crysis. I mean, the game came out months ago and yet, even the top graphics set up can barely handle a decent frame rate at max visuals and a good resolution. Personally, I blame the efficiency of the code more than I blame the excessive eye candy. However, I do feel that a game with good graphics should be developed for the high-end market of the current generation of graphics cards... not for the high end market of next years graphics cards.

Mario F.
04-02-2008, 06:52 AM
I like pretty stuff :D

*slaps Elysia something fierce*

indigo0086
04-02-2008, 07:38 AM
enough with the bull****

Neo1
04-02-2008, 07:43 AM
No Thanks. Until its a hologram, I think game graphics have gotten about as realistic looking as they are going to.

Oh please!

I guess we won't need more than 640kb RAM either? Those kinds of statements never turn out to be true...

Elysia
04-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Some time ago, I also did a re-run on Planescape Torment. I should finish it again someday.
I'm thinking of playing Knights of the Old Republic 2 again, too.

Mario F.
04-02-2008, 07:54 AM
enough with the bull****

Calm down Indigo. We are having a nice chat. No one is getting angry, spamming, trolling, annoying or any other ing. What? You didn't see my post as funny? I was trying to be funny. I believe Elysia understood it as such.

Anyways,

Some time ago, I also did a re-run on Planescape Torment. I should finish it again someday.

That surely brings back memories! I don't have it any more. One of the few oldies that got missing from my collection (probably lend it to someone who never returned it). I still have disks dating as far back as Pool of Radiance, which don't work anymore :D

Awsome game anyways. Torment was awesome storytelling.

mike_g
04-02-2008, 07:56 AM
I just set up UAE on my eee pc, so now I can play all my old Amiga games. Found a linux port of Gens too, which is nice.

Elysia
04-02-2008, 07:56 AM
That surely brings back memories! I don't have it any more. One of the few oldies that got missing from my collection (probably lend it to someone who never returned it). I still have disks dating as far back as Pool of Radiance, which don't work anymore :D

Awsome game anyways. Torment was awesome storytelling.
It sure was. Pretty darn cool with its story. One of the best up to date, I think.