View Full Version : whats it for ?

02-01-2002, 01:24 PM
I have never used it, i dont know anyone that has ever used it, i dont know whats it for and it doesnt appear to do anything.

On the top row of the keyboard there is a key

Print screen / SysRq

its fairly obvious what print screen does but what about SysRq?
I guess it stands for System requirement but what does it do

02-01-2002, 02:26 PM
It could stand for system request? Its a throwback to the days of unix...... like the Esc key. In Unix it actually escpaes you from something....... where as it windows it simply acts as the first key to press repeatedly when the system goes wrong..

Interesting note..... the Since people started using PC's The scape key has had to be made from titanium, whilst the keyboard back plate it made from reinforced plastic titanium alloy! ;)

By the way, how many keyboard s have other people broken due to "blue screen of death"?

02-01-2002, 02:38 PM
What's the button scroll lock for?

02-01-2002, 03:07 PM
>What's the button scroll lock for?

Back in the ancient times text files were called scrolls, this key put a lock on them preventing them from unrolling too quickly.

02-01-2002, 03:09 PM
but was the text scrolling down fast like in a dos type environment?

02-01-2002, 09:55 PM
i remember a "hold" button on my tandy ex 1000(8.77 mhz, 640k) that paused text. still don't know about scroll lock.

02-02-2002, 02:04 AM
>>By the way, how many keyboard s have other people broken due to "blue screen of death"?

But it was space bar not esc.

02-02-2002, 03:52 AM
System Request? That sounds right to me as well Jock.

How come when I hit TAB, I never get one?

02-02-2002, 08:45 AM
for SysRq there's an option in the linux kernel to enable it, i think for debugging.