PDA

View Full Version : C(xx), Brag and Flame a lot!

Pages : [1] 2

xuftugulus
03-13-2008, 09:23 PM
It's about time we stop being so damn serious.
It is your responsibility to humbly display how witty you are.

You can C ( or Cxx ).
You can Brag.
And oh boy you can Flame a lot.

I'm just kindof bored atm and have spent too many hours reading those damn RFC's cause if i can't Network in C, i will stop breathing.

I brag for the following:
-Computing number sequences without pen+paper or computer.
-Sleeping less than 3 hours on average every day of a week.
-Consuming large quantities of alcohol, and still being coherent.
-Being seriously insane.
-Still being able to be sensitive and at times charming.

Things i hate involving computers:
-Anything written that spans OVER 80 columns.
-Overuse of whitespace in documents, except when it is for the whitespace language.
-Pointer devices and Strange Keyboard Layouts.
-Writing formatted text using Micro$oft W0RD.
-Email spamming.

Things i hate involving people:
-Them asking stupid questions.
-Telling me how smart i am.
-Accepting the fact that they *HAVE* to do things they are told.
-Talking like they *ARE*.
-Abusing animals.

So go ahead and spit it out all here, you 'll feel better...

robwhit
03-13-2008, 10:40 PM
-Being seriously insane.

that's the alcohol.

-Still being able to be sensitive and at times charming.

that's the alcohol too.

-Telling me how smart i am.

again, the alcohol.

what does that even mean?

edit: are you related to Snuffleupagus?

Rashakil Fol
03-13-2008, 10:42 PM
I brag for the following:
- Being smarter than xuftugulus

Things I hate involving computers:

Things I dislike involving computers:
- The post above (since it spans over 80 columns)
- The idea that it's useful to point out "the whitespace language" as a mention-worthy exception
- Strange keyboard layouts (such as qwerty)
- People who use dollar $ign$, put fullstops on list items, and capitalize Some Particular Phrases.

Things I hate involving people:

Things I dislike involving people:

Things I find strange about people:
- The sense of self-importance that some of them have

tabstop
03-13-2008, 10:42 PM

what does that even mean?
That's the alcohol. :)

robwhit
03-13-2008, 10:55 PM
I should have known...

xuftugulus
03-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Jeez, did i write all these? I had no idea i must have been out of my mind,
i am seriously schizophrenic or had some seizure or something or too many
logical operators in my head or completely barfed by compiler warnings or
a ping of 65507 bytes or paranoid delusions or just simple curiosity or simply
... the alcohol.

bithub
03-14-2008, 08:51 PM
-Consuming large quantities of alcohol, and still being coherent.Clearly that was a lie.

Mario F.
03-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Things I hate about computers and their brood:

- Big delete keys;
- The CRLF, LF, LFCR stupidity;
- Cute, beautiful, and jaw-dropping GUIs;
- Perl derivate regex not being enforced at gun point;
- Laptops that aren't black;

PING
03-15-2008, 08:52 AM
edit: are you related to Snuffleupagus?

Do you mean Snagglepuss ? :P

robwhit
03-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Do you mean Snagglepuss ? :Phttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloysius_Snuffleupagus
http://images.google.com/images?q=Snuffleupagus

whiteflags
03-15-2008, 01:28 PM
My short list of minor annoyances:

Small backspace keys on keyboards
Conversely, oversized enter keys
All the little clicks and bells that Windows uses when the cursor does something
How that very same noise pollution has permeated RPGs
I can't play the original Megarace anymore, because Windows is too new
Wireless mice and wireless keyboards being insecure and in the way, respectively
Making this list

Mario F.
03-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I can't play the original Megarace anymore, because Windows is too

Not megarace, but despite having lost interest for games there are few DOS jewels I still play when I feel like going to the attic.

You first want this: DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/). Go through the documentation and such, but its pretty easy to use.

You then want this: MegaRace fan site (http://www.freewebs.com/raceprg/racedosbox.html).

That should set you up.

Here's the DOS games I still play every now and then (no particular order):

- Fantasy General
- Dune
- Master of Orion
- One Must Fall
- Raptor
- Vikings
- Master of Magic
- Commander Keen series
- Alone in The Dark
- Glaxian (because it really brings back memories)

Elysia
03-16-2008, 02:28 AM
Jeez, did i write all these? I had no idea i must have been out of my mind,
i am seriously schizophrenic or had some seizure or something or too many
logical operators in my head or completely barfed by compiler warnings or
a ping of 65507 bytes or paranoid delusions or just simple curiosity or simply
... the alcohol.

That alone should tell you to stop poisoning your own body with the crap we call "alcohol" which really should be named "poison."

h3ro
03-16-2008, 10:14 AM
When you drink make sure you dont have access to the following:
- Car
- Cell phone (Calling people when you are drunk...has anything good ever come from that?)
- Internett
- Code that is not backed up
- Ex girlfriend
- guitar

Elysia
03-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Or simply don't do it at all and you have no worries at all.

Neo1
03-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Or simply don't do it at all and you have no worries at all.

Same can be said about smoking, eating unhealthy food, driving faster than the speed limit and parachute jumping, if that is your philosophy of life, you must have a boring life indeed...

Elysia
03-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Of course, they impact your life to a certain degree, and they can also affect others around you.
Drinking is very unhealthy and has very bad side effects, as you can see.
Smoking is also incredibly bad, seeing how bad the effects are on your own body and how the smoke affects everybody in your surroundings plus how the contaminate the area you live in.
Unhealthy food is bad, true, although not to an extent of how smoking and drinking is. Still, it is something to be avoided, if possible. But it can be a little more difficult than smoking and drinking.
Driving faster than the speed limit can be a gamble depending on if you really know what you're doing and how much faster you are going. If you have a clear head, you are not tired, and don't overdo it, and being careful, it isn't that bad. But if you fail at one of these, then this is not a healthy thing.
Sure, you can do parachute jumping if you want to risk your life doing it. Nothing wrong in that. It won't affect people around you, so long as you don't die. Otherwise they will get hurt, of course. But it won't really affect your image. Still a bad thing, however. I would be very careful if doing it. But thankfully, I'm not.

Neo1
03-16-2008, 10:37 AM
So what is your point? Most things in life that are good also have certain risks associated with them. Are you honestly of the opinion that one shold avoid everything that has a small risk of going wrong?

Elysia
03-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm 100% against alcohol and smoking. It's my opinion, anyway, and I did point out that you don't need to embarrass yourself with things like this if you don't drink at all. They are evil things that should never have been invented and everyone is looking too kindly at alcohol as if it wasn't some vile drink, but some pleasure. IMHO, it isn't. It's poison.

Now this is just me...

Oldman47
03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
As Homer said;

Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's little problems. :)

Personally, I'm against religion. That causes more death and misery than all habits put together. And alcohol by itself is not evil nor is it bad for you. In fact, many studies conclude it has health benefits consumed in modest amounts. Smoking, well that is bad for you (although I've been smoking for forty years now) and I do advise younger people not to take up the habit since it is incredibly hard to get away from.

Elysia
03-16-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm pretty sure we can without alcohol, seeing as we stuff so much other unhealthy things.

XSquared
03-16-2008, 11:42 AM
http://xkcd.com/323/

That is all.

Mario F.
03-16-2008, 12:12 PM
This is really really weird - must be this new generation thing - but I thought programmers had a problem with caffeine, not alcohol.

I did notice that just like when I was a kid, today's kids seem to think drinking is cool. "You are a man if you drink"; "Look at how much I can drink"; "You can beat my john, but you can't beat my drinkin' "; ... and all that. But I seem to think these days it's worst.

Anyway, I'm totally against drinking because it a) smells like vomit b) makes people look like retard & morons c) I get physical around drunks. But I'm totally pro smoking and so-so for unhealthy food. I avoid it when I can, I enjoy it when I can't avoid it.

Elysia
03-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I did notice that just like when I was a kid, today's kids seem to think drinking is cool. "You are a man if you drink"; "Look at how much I can drink"; "You can beat my john, but you can't beat my drinkin' "; ... and all that. But I seem to think these days it's worst.
I know that one all too well :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm totally against drinking because it a) smells like vomit b) makes people look like retard & morons c) I get physical around drunks. But I'm totally pro smoking and so-so for unhealthy food. I avoid it when I can, I enjoy it when I can't avoid it.
Alcohol is the absolute worst thing I know of. When they get drunk, they act silly and stupid and frankly, it's no fun being around them either.
Smokers on the other hand, you can avoid.

XSquared
03-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I can't drink caffeine, due to it giving me migraines. And in my experience, it's a regular occurence at the CS club at my university for folks to randomly go off for beer in the afternoons. Generally we just have one or two beers though, it isn't our goal to get inebriated.

Neo1
03-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Alcohol is the absolute worst thing I know of. When they get drunk, they act silly and stupid and frankly, it's no fun being around them either.
Smokers on the other hand, you can avoid.

Err, obviously there is no fun in watching. If you stay sober all night everyone is going to act like jerks from your POV, but if you join the fun everything suddenly makes sense...

Elysia
03-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Does not. That has to be one of the stupidiest reasons to get drunk that I've heard (no offense intended).
Getting drunk is bad, whatever the case. Don't do it. If they get drunk, leave.

xuftugulus
03-16-2008, 12:54 PM
The whole point was never about drinking, and i assure you i wasn't drunk at the time of the thread start. But if it is important to you, then the following do hold for drinking, as for anything
in life generally.
Excessive abuse of any habit is destructive, while on the other hand a mild exploration of
experiences will open your mind to different fields and different points of view.

As much as i favor open source, so much i support open people and free people, with my
interpretation of personal freedom limited to the point where it doesn't violate others freedom.
So my point is one can drink, or smoke, or eat, or drive as much as one can judge that one's
'abuse' of things that please him doesn't burden another.
With that said, it's bad to drink a lot if you are aggressive in nature, smoke a lot if already a
calm individual, drink too much coffee if you suffer from insomnia, and eat like hell when you
are in a crammed work space with many other people and your sheer volume is a problem to
them.

Cheers to all, for your time.

whiteflags
03-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, I'm all for drinking responsibly, but Prohibition was even worse for America. We really tried.

And I doubt I'm gonna stop having a beer with a meal cause Elysia wants to be a priest about it.

Neo1
03-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Getting drunk is bad, whatever the case. Don't do it. If they get drunk, leave.

That's some very good reasoning! Drinking is bad no matter what!

How about doing it for pure fun? Not everyone is as over-protective of themselves as you are, some of us actually like to go out and have fun once in a while, even though there is a slight risk of a hangover in the morning...

Elysia
03-16-2008, 01:01 PM
And I doubt I'm gonna stop having a beer with a meal cause Elysia wants to be a priest about it.

No one if forcing you anyway. Though I might sometime express my utter hate for something, I am not a priest nor am I any police. I am not going to stop anyone from from doing what they want. It's your life, so take responsibility for it and what you do. I'm not going to be around to stop you. What you do it your business alone.
That mentioned, it is fine to encourage or recommend someone to stop, but not to force.
So carry on.

How about doing it for pure fun? Not everyone is as over-protective of themselves as you are, some of us actually like to go out and have fun once in a while, even though there is a slight risk of a hangover in the morning...
Sure, you can do that. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's a very bad suggestion, as well, because it encourages the use of a very bad habit.
Drinking is a big problem in today's society, therefore it is within my humble opinion that we shouldn't encourage someone to do it.

And I really can not find any fun in getting drunk. Sure, you can go out and have fun. Sure, you can go to bars or whatever, talk, do something, have fun. But that doesn't mean you have to drink.

Neo1
03-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Sure, you can do that. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's a very bad suggestion, as well, because it encourages the use of a very bad habit..

Ahh, but you never really explained why drinking is so bad? It's not like drinking with your friends in the weekend is going to kill you, as long as you can control it it's completely harmless fun.

Edit: Are you a nun?

Elysia
03-16-2008, 01:09 PM
But I did. It's poison. And it gets you drunk...
No, nothing of the sort. Hate religion.

Neo1
03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
But I did. It's poison. And it gets you drunk...

Yes it's poison. And yes, it gets you drunk, but that's a GOOD thing :P

whiteflags
03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
That mentioned, it is fine to encourage or recommend someone to stop, but not to force.
So carry on.

I understand, I really do. Problem is though, you're not going to convince anyone to stop doing anything by spouting rhetoric like calling it a poison. Beer is essentially fermented yeast, with some hops and barley. If you want to be successful, curb your vocabulary a bit there. I hate rhetoric.

Elysia
03-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Yes it's poison. And yes, it gets you drunk, but that's a GOOD thing :P
Erm, I don't see why that's good?

citizen:
I don't know if I could convince someone. It's pretty difficult. I wasn't really expecting anyone to take it seriously and stop. I was simply retorting with "this is what happens when you drink."
Shrugs.

Neo1
03-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Erm, I don't see why that's good?

I don't see why it is bad?

whiteflags
03-16-2008, 01:21 PM
I was simply retorting with "this is what happens when you drink."

That alone should tell you to stop poisoning your own body with the crap we call "alcohol" which really should be named "poison."

Like I said, curb your rhetoric.

The defense rests.

Elysia
03-16-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't see why it is bad?
Poison. Get drunk.

Like I said, curb your rhetoric.
The defense rests.
Hehe. Attack ceases =)

Neo1
03-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Poison. Get drunk.

So alcohol is bad because it is poison and gets you drunk, and getting drunk is bad because alcohol is poison?

Seems like we are going in circles? Or is it just me...

Elysia
03-16-2008, 01:32 PM
So alcohol is bad because it is poison and gets you drunk, and getting drunk is bad because alcohol is poison?

No, no, no...
Getting drunk means you stink, you weirdly or silly, and do things you never actually intended, among them.
So poison + those effects = alcohol. In short, poison + drunk.

Neo1
03-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Getting drunk means you stink, you weirdly or silly, and do things you never actually intended, among them.

Yeees, it's great fun..

Elysia
03-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Doing weird and bad things is fun?

Neo1
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Doing weird and bad things is fun?

It is when you are drunk :P

Elysia
03-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't get it and I don't get you...
And I'm betting I probably never will :confused:

Mario F.
03-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I've done pretty crazy things in my life while sober. Now, that's fun!

Neo1
03-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't get it and I don't get you...
And I'm betting I probably never will :confused:

I think my logic is easier to follow when you've had a pint of schnaps..

h3ro
03-16-2008, 02:26 PM
I have nothing against people who do not drink, but I cant stand it when people who not drink feel a need to force their opinion on someone else. (Im not saying you are doing it Elysia). I also cant stand people who thinks they can get away with everything because they are drunk. If you cant stop drinking before you lose control, you have a problem.

Dave_Sinkula
03-16-2008, 02:51 PM
The dose makes the poison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication#Notable_cases).

robwhit
03-16-2008, 08:25 PM
The dose makes the poison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication#Notable_cases).That's not really about too much water as too little electrolytes (salts & etc.).