DebugBreak

This is a discussion on DebugBreak within the Windows Programming forums, part of the Platform Specific Boards category; Hello everyone, As mentioned here, http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc266343.aspx when we call DebugBreak, the program under \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug key, will be invoked. The ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,579

    DebugBreak

    Hello everyone,


    As mentioned here,

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc266343.aspx

    when we call DebugBreak, the program under \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug key, will be invoked. The value for mine is,

    "C:\Windows\system32\vsjitdebugger.exe" -p %ld -e %ld

    In my environment, a dialog will be displayed and Visual Studio 2008 is the only item to select to debug. My question is, why vsjitdebugger.exe is not called as mentioned in MSDN, but Visual Studio 2008 is displayed in the dialog box?


    thanks in advance,
    George

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,468
    do you have Auto 0 or 1 setting?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    For heaven's sake, do you still not know better than to post your Win32 API questions in the generic C++ forum?
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  4. #4
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,420
    Did you run it inside the debugger or outside?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  5. #5
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    This might sound kinda stupid but are you sure vsjitdebugger is NOT VS2008 debugger? I mean, the vs in front of it clearly shows that it's related to Visual Studio.
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

  6. #6
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,420
    It's the Visual Studio Just-in-time debugger launcher.
    It shows a list of installed debuggers on the machine and allows you to select one to debug with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  7. #7
    Cat without Hat CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Does it show the list even if there is only one?
    All the buzzt!
    CornedBee

    "There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code."
    - Flon's Law

  8. #8
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,420
    Yes, it does. Unless you tell it to launch a debugger by default.
    It also allows you to select an open instance of Visual Studio or open a new one.
    But I actually don't know if it works with other debuggers than Visual Studio. Never tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  9. #9
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Yes, it does. Unless you tell it to launch a debugger by default.
    It also allows you to select an open instance of Visual Studio or open a new one.
    But I actually don't know if it works with other debuggers than Visual Studio. Never tried.
    Do you know how to configure it? A had a problem with it - the VS6 debugger was not shown as a choice
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  10. #10
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,420
    Configure it how?
    A debugger you had installed disappeared and you want it back in the list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,579
    Hello everyone involved here, looks like vsjitdebugger is the dialog program which asks us to select debugger? Agree?

    If it is true, it is my mistake to think JIT Debugger is a debugger, but actually it is just a debugger selector. :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Configure it how?
    A debugger you had installed disappeared and you want it back in the list?

    regards,
    George

  12. #12
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,420
    Yes, it shows a list of debuggers and launches it. The actual Visual Studio debugger is inside the IDE itself, devenv.exe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  13. #13
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Configure it how?
    A debugger you had installed disappeared and you want it back in the list?
    exactly... Jut not "had" - have installed
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  14. #14
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ! Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,420
    I'll admit, that's a curious thing. Never happened to me. And I guess reinstall never helped, either?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  15. #15
    Reverse Engineer maxorator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,318
    Probably the list of debuggers there should be somewhere in the registry too. You've just got to find it.
    "The Internet treats censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. debugbreak continue issue
    By George2 in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 06:32 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21