Threads!

This is a discussion on Threads! within the Windows Programming forums, part of the Platform Specific Boards category; Would anybody like to give me an insight on them, and how to use them? Thankyou!...

  1. #1
    Registered User bradszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    114

    Threads!

    Would anybody like to give me an insight on them, and how to use them? Thankyou!

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,424
    Here you can find some examples
    http://www.digcode.com/default.aspx?...0-ef74c8c20c6a

    Not all their samples are 100% fine, but at least they show functions of interest and starting points for your research
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User bradszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    114
    Thanks Vart!

  4. #4
    train spotter
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    near a computer
    Posts
    3,856
    Threads?

    Avoid them until you MUST use them.

    I have seen your code and I think you need more experience in basic WIN32 or you will get yourself into trouble with threads.


    Ask yourself;

    Is this complication absolutely REQUIRED?
    If the complication is not, do it the easy way.
    "Man alone suffers so excruciatingly in the world that he was compelled to invent laughter."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars......the rest I squandered."
    George Best

    "If you are going through hell....keep going."
    Winston Churchill

  5. #5
    Super Moderator VirtualAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    9,586
    Yes threads are not the answer to everything. They bring with them some very interesting characteristics and gotchas when programming. They make an application about three times as hard to debug in my opinion.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 11:28 AM
  2. Yet another n00b in pthreads ...
    By dimis in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 12:43 AM
  3. Classes and Threads
    By Halloko in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 05:27 AM
  4. problem with win32 threads
    By pdmarshall in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 02:39 PM
  5. Block and wake up certain threads
    By Spark in forum C Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2002, 03:39 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21