msdn's docs are sometimes misleading

This is a discussion on msdn's docs are sometimes misleading within the Windows Programming forums, part of the Platform Specific Boards category; <split from http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=79619 to keep discussion separate from information 'links' ~ ken fitlike> I would like to add that you ...

  1. #1
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,014
    <split from Windows programming links to keep discussion separate from information 'links' ~ ken fitlike>

    I would like to add that you should beware that msdn's docs are sometimes misleading, sometimes "forgetting" to mention things are Microsoft-specific, hiding it, and sometimes just plain showing wrong information (and sometimes also lacking information, such as what fgets returns).
    Other than that, it's very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    (and sometimes also lacking information, such as what fgets returns
    You should learn to read the whole article. return value of each function is decribed in the Return Value section

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...kf(VS.71).aspx

    Stop blaming MS for your lack of expirience with this tool. There is a lot of things that you can blame it lawfully.
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,014
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    You should learn to read the whole article. return value of each function is decribed in the Return Value section
    I know that! I've been using msdn for years

    Stop blaming MS for your lack of expirience with this tool. There is a lot of things that you can blame it lawfully.
    Maybe I just missed something or whatever, but I was sure there was a function whose return value was actually missing. It only mentioned what it returned in case of error.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. xmms plugin api docs?
    By valis in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 08:50 AM
  2. Platform SDK docs
    By Hunter2 in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 04:39 PM
  3. Link to MSDN's win32 info?
    By EvBladeRunnervE in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2003, 03:05 PM
  4. visual C++ docs error
    By Unregistered in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-22-2002, 08:24 PM
  5. Visualization docs and pointers
    By Zionaster in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2002, 02:46 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21