Unique machine ID

This is a discussion on Unique machine ID within the Windows Programming forums, part of the Platform Specific Boards category; is there a way to retrieve a unique machine ID. I want to protect a piece of software so that ...

  1. #1
    Malum in se abachler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,189

    Unique machine ID

    is there a way to retrieve a unique machine ID. I want to protect a piece of software so that it can only execute on a particular machine.
    Until you can build a working general purpose reprogrammable computer out of basic components from radio shack, you are not fit to call yourself a programmer in my presence. This is cwhizard, signing off.

  2. #2
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    MAC-address of the Network card is one of the widly used identifiers...
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Captain Crash brewbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,249
    Quote Originally Posted by abachler View Post
    is there a way to retrieve a unique machine ID. I want to protect a piece of software so that it can only execute on a particular machine.
    As long as you realize that a determined person can circumvent it... Some combination of hostname, MAC address, other system stats. You could get the machine GUID directly from Windows, but again, this can be faked. Just type GUID into an MSDN search.

    Also, you are creating a pain in the ass for your user, because they can no longer change their hostname, or install a new network card, without changing their identifier. Are you sure you want to take the support calls when that happens?

  4. #4
    and the hat of wrongness Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    32,671
    > I want to protect a piece of software so that it can only execute on a particular machine.
    And lose customers whenever they upgrade the bit you're dependent on?

    Unless you pull an ID from several different sources, and tolerate a certain amount of change from the baseline.
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.
    I support http://www.ukip.org/ as the first necessary step to a free Europe.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Machine Learning with Lego Mindstorms
    By DavidP in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 01:34 PM
  2. unique pointer issue
    By George2 in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-14-2008, 10:25 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 06:05 PM
  4. Porting from 32 bit machine to 64 bit machine!
    By anoopks in forum C Programming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 07:02 PM
  5. Recieving a unique hostid for my machine!
    By Joda in forum Linux Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 08:57 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21