How many ways to program a Windows GUI?

This is a discussion on How many ways to program a Windows GUI? within the Windows Programming forums, part of the Platform Specific Boards category; I'm trying to learn how to program Windows GUIs. So far I've gotten the impression that this can be accomplished ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    197

    How many ways to program a Windows GUI?

    I'm trying to learn how to program Windows GUIs. So far I've gotten the impression that this can be accomplished using a variety of different methods. If I learn to program GUIs using one method, does that mean I still have to learn 3 more?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    13
    You can use directly the Windows API or use a library such as Microsoft MFC or Borland VCL to make development faster.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    197
    I compiled some Windows GUI stuff today with the following at the top of the file
    Code:
    #using <mscorlib.dll>
    #using <System.dll>
    #using <System.Drawing.dll>
    #using <System.Windows.Forms.dll>
    
    using namespace System;
    using namespace System::Drawing;
    using namespace System::Windows::Forms;
    It compiled and ran okay, but it ran only on my computer. Why would this not run on another computer? Was it my compiler settings? Were the "includes" not statically linked?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    13
    You're using Microsoft's .Net Framework stuff, it'll only work in computers that have it installed.

  5. #5
    MFC killed my cat! manutd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    870
    Another (portable to other platforms): wxWidgets.
    Silence is better than unmeaning words.
    - Pythagoras
    My blog

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Etinin
    You're using Microsoft's .Net Framework stuff, it'll only work in computers that have it installed.
    Really? Is there no way I can statically link it?

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    903
    No. That's how crappy C++ . NET is.

  8. #8
    Registered /usr
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,262
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone wanting to statically link over 100MB of runtime before. You're gold, thetinman.

    On the plus side, if you were to say "This program requires a minimum of Windows XP SP2" then you could guarantee that it will work.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    197
    SMurf,

    Are you saying that it would work if I both linked the 100MBs and ran Windows XP SP2 on the target computer?

  10. #10
    Registered /usr
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,262
    No, I'm saying that Windows XP SP2 is (unless someone has fiddled with the service pack) guaranteed to have .NET installed, so what you have now should work on it. Vista is also guaranteed to have it installed.

    In this supposedly fast-moving world of computers, it's not a bad idea.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    197
    The program I mentioned ran on this computer, which has Windows XP SP2. When I tried to run the program on two other Windows XP SP2 computers I received a message about the program failing to initialize. Given your statement, I don't know what's causing the problem. Only two things come to mind and I think both are unlikely culprits.

    1) The program did not have an installer

    2) The program did not use any #include statements, so there is no <iostream>, <stdio.h> or anything of that sort.

  12. #12
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,473
    does it list the missing dlls?
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    197
    No. It does not.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Program Plan
    By Programmer_P in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 01:42 AM
  2. Windows cmd program
    By Mikecore in forum C Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 07:44 PM
  3. Virtual keys
    By Arkanos in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 09:00 AM
  4. Convert Windows GUI to Linux GUI
    By BobS0327 in forum Linux Programming
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 03:39 AM
  5. Windows GUI Preprocessing
    By Jaken Veina in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 01:22 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21