This thread is intended to act as a quick reference for getting started with programming with the windows application programming interface(api, win32api, winapi).
- theForger's Win32 API Tutorial
- Functionx win32
- Adrianxw's Win32 Tutorials
- John Findlay's C-Programming with PellesC and lcc-win32
- Programming Win32 with GNU C and C++
Platform Software Development Kit (PSDK)
This is not normally necessary if using Borland compilers, MinGW (dev-cpp, or, probably, code::blocks). It is essential for windows api programming with microsoft compilers.
Note that although the psdk does contain mfc (Microsoft Foundation Classes) it is for 64bit platforms only and their use is restricted; check the licence for details.
Some Non-MFC C++ Class Libraries/Widgets(controls)
- Programming Windows, 5th edition, Charles Petzold (ISBN: 1-57231-995-X)
- Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows, 4th edition, Jeffrey Richter (ISBN: 1-57231-996-8)
(For mfc: Programming Windows with MFC, 2nd edition, Jeff Prosise(ISBN: 1-57231-695-0))