GDI using microsoft visual studio

This is a discussion on GDI using microsoft visual studio within the Windows Programming forums, part of the Platform Specific Boards category; Originally Posted by Elysia Do I know of any good resources for GDI? I do not. Then shut the @#$% ...

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    Do I know of any good resources for GDI? I do not.
    Then shut the @#$% up!
    If the topic is beyond your range of expertise, I don't need to know your opinion.
    Nor do I need to be questioned as to why I need to know.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    Have I been rude to you? I have not.

    Yes !
    You have been rude.
    You are a rude person.
    Your first response to this post was rude.

    What you don't like is the fact that I was willing to speak up and tell you.
    That is something I don't think you are accustomed to.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    On that basis, I should think that an apology is not so far-fetched.

    My culture has an ancient saying:
    "Pound sand !"


    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    I was responding to CommonTater about a discussion.
    Oh..., which discussion was that now..., ?
    something about learning GDI ?


    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    I didn't put it there because it's a made-up quote. It's actually something people have told me. If you'd search, you'd find out. It has been mentioned a number of times, actually, along with some other things. But I cannot fit all into my signature.

    LOL !!!
    Haahaa!!

    Something I've learned quite a long time ago is:
    "...anyone claiming to be great, probably isn't."
    Last edited by Steve A.; 03-14-2011 at 04:16 PM.

  2. #32
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,026
    This is like a history rather than a debate. How can I disagree?
    I dunno about gender, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    53
    I agree to Steve at one point.
    If Elysia doesn't know anything on GDI, what is she doing on this thread? And if someone else has declded to learn GDI, is that really her business?

    Elysia definately HATES win32 and anything related to it,but this doesn't mean she is "abused". Maybe after three years in this board, she just too "cautious". She doesn't want to see anything related to it, even if it isn't her business.

  4. #34
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    Then shut the @#$% up!
    If the topic is beyond your range of expertise, I don't need to know your opinion.
    Nor do I need to be questioned as to why I need to know.
    Is it beyond the mighty you to receive a question from a regular questioning your ways? Does it maybe occur to you that sometimes people, professionals even, are going about something the wrong way?
    The only way to find out is sometimes to ask. So I did ask. And this is what we get.

    Yes !
    You have been rude.
    You are a rude person.
    Your first response to this post was rude.

    What you don't like is the fact that I was willing to speak up and tell you.
    That is something I don't think you are accustomed to.
    My reply was not rude.
    I was trying to understand why you wanted to learn GDI. In order to help you.
    If that's rude, then I guess everyone is rude.
    I don't care one way or another about the fact that you "spoke up to me."

    LOL !!!
    Haahaa!!

    Something I've learned quite a long time ago is:
    "...anyone claiming to be great, probably isn't."
    Oh, poor little you, then. Perhaps you should learn to look harder.
    FYI, the latest reply that contains this very quote I have in my sig is this one:

    http://cboard.cprogramming.com/game-...ml#post1010947

    Did I not help, do you think? Was the OP not grateful at getting replies?

    Your attitude is not helping now.
    This is not a great way to receive help from someone, regardless if someone is wrong, rude or whatnot.
    Oh, but you'll probably ignore this and write something rude instead.
    What do I care? Go ahead. You only have yourself to blame.

    Quote Originally Posted by new_in_c++ View Post
    I agree to Steve at one point.
    If Elysia doesn't know anything on GDI, what is she doing on this thread? And if someone else has declded to learn GDI, is that really her business?

    Elysia definately HATES win32 and anything related to it,but this doesn't mean she is "abused". Maybe after three years in this board, she just too "cautious". She doesn't want to see anything related to it, even if it isn't her business.
    Perhaps it has occurred to you that while GDI may be detestable, perhaps there is also a reason why it should be avoided?
    So I looked in, I saw someone asking for GDI, I politely asked why the OP wanted to learn GDI.
    Perhaps the OP wanted to learn GDI because he/she thought it was the only way to do graphics (these things do happen, you know...). Or perhaps the OP simply wanted to learn it out of curiosity.
    If it was the former, I could have shared information or wisdom. If it was the later, I could simply have left it as it is.
    Regardless of the fact, asking such a question is never out of place. So yes, I had business. Now I'm just replying to people discussing or trying to blame me.

    What is pointless is making comments in a thread which is out-of-place. Saying GDI sucks and should never be learnt, no matter what, may be considered a useless reply. But I didn't say, did I?
    Last edited by Elysia; 03-14-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,209
    An aspect of helping a person is to ask questions such as "why do you want to learn GDI?". This can help guide him towards another solution that might be better for what the origianl poster wants, or if there is no better solution then it need not be discussed further.

    This whole mud-slinging (oh you must have been abused as a child yaddayaddyadda) don't belong here and if that is your way to respond to somebody questioning your views you will probably have a very hard time fitting in here. People question eachother in one thread and then go on to help eachother in another, that's the way it goes.

    Edit: To add some actual content, THE book for learning GDI is http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Wi.../dp/157231995X
    It is a quite heavy book but that is because the topic is quite heavy to get into.
    Last edited by Shakti; 03-14-2011 at 04:36 PM.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakti View Post
    An aspect of helping a person is to ask questions such as "why do you want to learn GDI?". This can help guide him towards another solution that might be better for what the origianl poster wants, or if there is no better solution then it need not be discussed further.
    Agreed... the question was legitimate and obviously asked with the intent of helping.

    This whole mud-slinging (oh you must have been abused as a child yaddayaddyadda) don't belong here and if that is your way to respond to somebody questioning your views you will probably have a very hard time fitting in here. People question eachother in one thread and then go on to help eachother in another, that's the way it goes.
    Absolutely... It's that directness I spoke of.


    FWIW... I still think SteveA. should be apologizing. The way he went after Elysia is just wrong.

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakti View Post
    Edit: To add some actual content, THE book for learning GDI is Amazon.com: Programming Windows (Microsoft Programming Series) (9781572319950): Charles Petzold: Books
    It is a quite heavy book but that is because the topic is quite heavy to get into.
    I have that book, I've read it from cover to cover.
    It was part of my original reply to the OP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. sorting the matrix question..
    By transgalactic2 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 03:17 PM
  2. Avoiding Global variables
    By csonx_p in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 01:17 AM
  3. C++ std routines
    By siavoshkc in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 01:13 AM
  4. Apps that act "differently" in XP SP2
    By Stan100 in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 11:38 PM
  5. header file bringing errors?
    By bluehead in forum Windows Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 01:51 PM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21