New to programming...C/windows question

This is a discussion on New to programming...C/windows question within the Windows Programming forums, part of the Platform Specific Boards category; Hello, I'm new here, and just getting into programming. I just have a few simple questions, and hope some of ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1

    Post New to programming...C/windows question

    Hello, I'm new here, and just getting into programming. I just have a few simple questions, and hope some of you can guide me in the right direction.

    I want to start making programs for WINDOWS ONLY, and I'm going to be working on WINDOWS PLATFORMS only. Will I be ok by just using C and C++ or will I need to learn a different or an additional language? I'm talking general programming here(mini-applications, gaming, random programming, etc etc...), not multi-million dollar projects...

    My 2nd and final question: If I'll be making programs for windows environment only (for now), I'm thinkin of using microsoft visual C++ to get started. Is that a good option? can I work with C in visual C++?

    again, I'm new and just starting out...Thank you!

  2. #2
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by dvzon
    I want to start making programs for WINDOWS ONLY, and I'm going to be working on WINDOWS PLATFORMS only. Will I be ok by just using C and C++ or will I need to learn a different or an additional language?
    Those languages are suitable, though you will have to learn libraries beyond the standard libraries, and sometimes this is akin to learning a new language.

    Quote Originally Posted by dvzon
    If I'll be making programs for windows environment only (for now), I'm thinkin of using microsoft visual C++ to get started. Is that a good option? can I work with C in visual C++?
    Yes, yes, if you use a .c extension for your source files and/or configure to compile as C. In the case of C++, it is pertinent that you use MSVC7.1 or later (corresponding to Visual Studio 2003 or later).
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Version Control System: Bazaar

    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  3. #3
    CSharpener vart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rishon LeZion, Israel
    Posts
    6,484
    If you are planning to work on windows only - you could choose .Net environment (not that it is not available for Linux as well) - and IMHO best lang for it is C#
    The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time,
    the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

  4. #4
    Registered User UltraKing227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA, New york
    Posts
    123
    Win32 API, tough to learn but useful. i learned it using C, but you can
    also use C++ if you want. a good reference and tutorial is TheForger's
    (winprog.net).

  5. #5
    Registered User UltraKing227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA, New york
    Posts
    123
    most C++ Compilers also support C. however, C compilers dont support C++.

  6. #6
    train spotter
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    near a computer
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by vart View Post
    If you are planning to work on windows only - you could choose .Net environment (not that it is not available for Linux as well) - and IMHO best lang for it is C#
    I agree, if I was starting again I would learn C#.
    "Man alone suffers so excruciatingly in the world that he was compelled to invent laughter."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars......the rest I squandered."
    George Best

    "If you are going through hell....keep going."
    Winston Churchill

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraKing227 View Post
    Win32 API, tough to learn but useful. i learned it using C, but you can
    also use C++ if you want. a good reference and tutorial is TheForger's
    (winprog.net).
    Thanks for sharing the good tutorial.
    Last edited by Salem; 04-08-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: snip fake sig spam

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Alice....
    By Lurker in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 02:51 PM
  2. Debugging question
    By o_0 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 05:51 PM
  3. Question about pointers #2
    By maxhavoc in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 12:52 PM
  4. Question...
    By TechWins in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 09:47 PM
  5. Question, question!
    By oskilian in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-24-2001, 12:47 AM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21